Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Beginning and Intermediate Imaging

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
AFAdrenaline
sage

Reged: 12/08/10

Re: MS Lifecam Studio/Cinema Side-by-side Mod new [Re: AFAdrenaline]
      #4736171 - 08/08/11 12:09 AM Attachment (429 downloads)

A finetooth hobby saw made quick work of it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AFAdrenaline
sage

#4736183 - 08/08/11 12:15 AM Attachment (453 downloads)

In order to remove the autofocus assembly de-solder the two leads per the Cinema instructions by Gary Honis (the two assemblies are nearly identical). Unlike the Cinema, the Studio needs to have the horizontal circuit board and the vertical circuit board (the one with the sensor) to be separate in order to access the screws. Thankfully they attach by a simple socket connection but be careful you don't break the ribbon cable between them.

AFAdrenaline
sage

#4736186 - 08/08/11 12:17 AM Attachment (685 downloads)

Size matters... so to speak... A side-by-side comparison of the sensors. The Cinema on the left and the Studio on the right. Assuming resolutions of 1280x720 (921kPx) for the Cinema and 1920x1080 (2073 kPx) for the Studio, and further assuming each pixel is approx the same size (3-microns) the Studio's chip is roughly 2.25 times larger than the Cinema's!!

Edited by AFAdrenaline (08/08/11 12:28 AM)

AFAdrenaline
sage

#4736207 - 08/08/11 12:31 AM Attachment (353 downloads)

Now its time to plug the USB cable back into its socket on the circuit board as well as resolder the ground back as well.

AFAdrenaline
sage

#4736213 - 08/08/11 12:33 AM Attachment (385 downloads)

Same pesky blue LED as the Cinema. A few layers of flat black model enamel blocks it all out.

AFAdrenaline
sage

#4736219 - 08/08/11 12:36 AM Attachment (344 downloads)

The rubber cover over the mic will slip right off. If you don't do this it can be hard to fit the mic back within the cylindrical confines of the housing. Plug the mic back into its appropriate socket in the circuit board.

AFAdrenaline
sage

#4736223 - 08/08/11 12:39 AM Attachment (387 downloads)

On the top half of the housing assembly there is a small vertical plate that was located between the mic and the button. It extends above the surface of the cylinder and should be removed (it will help keep the camera centered in the extension tube).

AFAdrenaline
sage

#4736224 - 08/08/11 12:39 AM Attachment (368 downloads)

... and removed.

AFAdrenaline
sage

#4736238 - 08/08/11 12:46 AM Attachment (478 downloads)

At this point simply reinsert the circuit board back into the bottom half of the housing, mate it to the top and reinstall the 4 screws holding each half together. At this point mounting the camera into the extension tube is the same for both the Cinema and the Studio.

I wrapped each cylindrical housing in 1/4 in thick foam used in remote control airplanes to cushion the electronics... It can be found in most hobby stores and has an airy, rubbery feel to it. I measured a piece so that the ends would meet up evenly with no overlap so that the chip would stay centered in the tube. I then applied a single layer of duck tape to hold the foam in place.

(Cinema chip shown in this pic)

AFAdrenaline
sage

#4736245 - 08/08/11 12:50 AM Attachment (408 downloads)

With the housing placed as far forward as possible in the extension tube I added a disk of the same rubberized foam to the back for more cushioning and then added a disk of foam board behind it. A hole in both for the USB cable, obviously.

AFAdrenaline
sage

#4736252 - 08/08/11 12:53 AM Attachment (423 downloads)

I then neatly applied duck tape to the back to hold everything in place an screwed in the UV-IR cut filter to the front of the assembly. I placed the index mark on the top to roughly indicate where the top of the CMOS sensor is.

AFAdrenaline
sage

#4736261 - 08/08/11 01:00 AM Attachment (591 downloads)

So here's the finished product! I did the tape slightly different on each for easy identification but I've ops tested both and they appear to be in good shape. I was able to focus sharply on terrestrial targets just fine through my AT65EDQ and thankfully it looks like I was able to keep the sensor free from contaminants! Hopefully I'll be pointing both of them at Jupiter for the first time in a couple hours through my C11... Can't wait!

AFAdrenaline
sage

#4736273 - 08/08/11 01:06 AM

So, I was having trouble installing the HuffYUV codec on my Windows 7 laptop but found a workaround on an unrelated forum online... Get to break out the good old command prompt DOS emulator! Anyways, directions are below, I tried it and it worked just fine.

Quote:

As usual, Microsoft monkeyed around with the OS so much that it's (again) messed up some very common audio/video software, drivers, utilities, etc.

But there is an easy fix!

This is how to install HuffYUV on Windows Vista 64 or Windows 7 64:

1. Download HuffYUV from somewhere -- preferably somewhere reliable, such as this site -- and then unzip/unrar it to your C:\ drive*.
2. Open up a command prompt (DOS box), while logged in with a user account that has administrative privileges.

* If you're not sure what that means, then let's try this explanation:
2a. Go to the Start menu, and go to Run or the Run box to the left of the power button (where you shut down or sleep your computer).
2b. Type in cmd and then press ctrl+shift (either side of keyboard is fine, left or right) and then press enter while still holding ctrl+shift. Don't press enter by itself or click OK.
2c. If you've done it correctly, then the little black DOS box will say "Administrator: Command Prompt" in the on-screen text.

3. Assuming your copy of Windows was installed with the standard method (C:\Windows), navigate to the SysWOW64 folder.
* In the little black DOS box, type cd c:\windows\syswow64 and then press enter.
4. Again, in the DOS box, type rundll32.exe setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 0 c:\huffyuv.inf and press enter. Pay close attention to the spacing (or lack thereof). And that's a "zero" in the last half of the command, not the letter "O". There's no space around that comma. What you type has to match perfectly.
* If there are no error messages, then it has installed correctly.
* If there was an error, then you probably were not installing it with administrator privileges enabled. Re-read Step 1!

That's all you have to do.

*Experienced users can unzip/unrar it anywhere they want, but be sure to notice your path when installing it in Step 4 of the above instructions!

Read more: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-conversion/2193-cannot-install-huffyuv.html#ixzz1UPWD0Enu

gip100

Reged: 11/08/10

#4814379 - 09/18/11 11:10 AM

And the how did the Studio Webcam come out? Is it worth the extra cash?

AFAdrenaline
sage

Re: MS Lifecam Studio/Cinema Side-by-side Mod new [Re: gip100]
      #4814781 - 09/18/11 03:20 PM Attachment (421 downloads)

I do enjoy using the Studio but to be fair I don't have any experience with other webcams (other than the cinema). I'm rarely using the Studio at its full resolution and generally limit myself to 800x600 in order to attain 30 fps. I'm very new to the whole astrophotography scene so I'm still learning a lot of the basics in image processing as well as achieving a precise/fine collimation on my SCT. All that being said. I do think that being able to boost my resolution up to to 1920x1080 has some great uses. I've found that achieving a fine collimation is a bit easier especially at the higher magnification levels. In addition having a larger chip size makes it slightly easier to reacquire the target when using different levels of magnification. Anyways, like I said I'm still pretty new to it all but attached are some images from the Studio. All-in-all I think the Studio webcam was only $10 more than the Cinema at the electronics store I bought it from and thus far I think it's been worth-while.

gapurcell

Reged: 05/09/11

Loc: Riverside County, CA
      #4832694 - 09/28/11 05:40 PM

Great Guide! I just purchased the studio and am following the guide as well. Just curious though, what UV-IR cut filter would you recommend to purchase? Best bang for the buck idea is what I need

Thanks

AFAdrenaline
sage

Re: MS Lifecam Studio/Cinema Side-by-side Mod new [Re: gapurcell]
      #4832931 - 09/28/11 08:18 PM Attachment (603 downloads)

thanks for the positive feedback! yeah its definitely become my workhorse for planetary photography... slowly but surely i'm figuring it all out...

as for a recommendation for the UV-IR cut filter I used a an Astro-Tech UV-IR cut filter. I think it ran around $40 from astronomics.com. The passband seems pretty comparable to higher end filters you can view a graph here off of the astronomics website. I would definitely recommend it with the caviot that its a recommendation without a comparison... the ones i use are the only UV-IR cut filters I've ever tried... again, I've been happy with the results though...

the image below is a comparison of Jupiter on 10 Sept 11 the image on the left is with the UV-IR cut filter removed and the one the right is with the filter on. The images were are both the best 200 of approx 1700 frames taken. the sequences were shot approx 3 minutes apart. the top two images shows the registax output only applying wavelet filtering and rotation. the second pair is a black in white of the R and G channels which I used in Fitswork as the L channel. The bottom image is my "enhanced" version after combining RGB and then using R+G as the L-channel. I then took the RG-RGB and tried to clean up a bit in Gimp. I put "enhanced" in quotes as I feel like I'm trying to sculpt a piece of granite with a sledgehammer as opposed to a chisel. the result I think has an almost cartoonish quality too it... lol oh well... i'm sure i'll develop a lighter touch with experience. as technical as it all is, its really an art!

gapurcell

Reged: 05/09/11

Loc: Riverside County, CA
      #4835879 - 09/30/11 12:03 PM

Thanks again for the advise! I am in the process of modifying the Studio and am waiting for a friend to do the soldering. Dont feel comfortable doing it even though I am sure its probably not that difficult Before your guide, i had a friend who modified the Studio and used a cardboard like paper to wrap around the body of the camera which would then be inserted into the barlow, but the fit was not perfect and it always moved with the slightest breeze or movement of the cable. Your mod will be great for me to use since I didnt want to spend the money on a webcam for something not stable hehe.

AFAdrenaline
sage

Re: MS Lifecam Studio/Cinema Side-by-side Mod new [Re: gapurcell]
      #4836754 - 09/30/11 09:14 PM Attachment (401 downloads)

Glad you found it helpful... yeah, i've been really happy with the Studio... only been doing planetary photography for a couple months now and once you start to get up the learning curve its great! i got my best images of jupiter to date last night! taken with my C11 EdgeHD and a TeleVue 2x PM... 1000 of 2000 frames stacked. Finally getting some detail in the clouds without over processing! I've got some 130 clips of Europa's transit each spaced out about a couple minutes apart... hopefully i'll get around to processing them all and getting a nice animation!

Juiced

Reged: 09/15/11

Loc: Charleston, SC
      #4843742 - 10/04/11 03:12 PM

Thank you for the great write up on the Lifecam Studio.

I converted mine with no apparent damage and will post any first time results soon.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, fishonkevin, WOBentley, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9145

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics