Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Beginning and Intermediate Imaging

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Jared
Postmaster

Reged: 10/11/05

Loc: Piedmont, California, U.S.
Re: Trouble with flats new [Re: John Miele]
      #5654383 - 01/31/13 01:57 PM

Quote:

Does a flat have to be taken at the same temperature as the light frames? I don't think it does but wanted to check. Thanks...John

There is no requirement that it be taken at the same temperature. If, however, your flats are more than a few seconds dark current can start to matter, so in those situations I would want to dark subtract my flats. The flat-darks need to match the flats for temperature, but neither needs to match the lights. If your flats are less than a few seconds in duration, you probably don't need to cool your camera at all and can just bias subtract to get rid of the pedestal. The temperature of the bias frames won't matter either.

It's hard to give an exact answer on when you need to cool your flats (in terms of exposure duration), and when you need to dark subtract rather than just bias subtract. Depending on your camera's dark current and, in particular, on how hard you "push" when you are stretching your results will vary. Personally, I use Kodak based cameras that do not have particularly good dark current characteristics, and I can't tell a difference in my images with cooled vs. not cooled flats or dark subtracted vs. bias subtracted flats with 4s exposures. YMMV.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Re: Trouble with flats new [Re: Jared]
      #5655637 - 02/01/13 06:30 AM

Ok. Since I posted this message I have been busy repairing my mount. But last night I found the reasons my flats don't work. Its a reflection from the CLS filter. The brightness of the EL panel makes the reflection stronger and it spoils the flats

shawnhar
Postmaster

Reged: 06/25/10

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Re: Trouble with flats new [Re: Hilmi]
      #5656316 - 02/01/13 12:51 PM

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
Re: Trouble with flats new [Re: shawnhar]
      #5657773 - 02/02/13 09:32 AM

Congrat's on the detective work!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
20 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, fishonkevin, WOBentley, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1721

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics