Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Beginning and Intermediate Imaging

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Saclablue

Reged: 11/14/12

Loc: Timmins, Ontario
NEED HELP!!!
      #5675447 - 02/12/13 09:30 AM

Hi there everyone, looking for a little feed back as to what i should do. I have an oportunity right now to pick up an SBIG ST-8300 for 2000, or should i buy a nice DSLR camera. So many toys, so little time.

Regards

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
terry59
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/18/11

Loc: Colorado, USA
Re: NEED HELP!!! new [Re: Saclablue]
      #5675464 - 02/12/13 09:41 AM

OSC or mono? What do you want to image?

Mike7Mak
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/11

Loc: New York
Re: NEED HELP!!! new [Re: terry59]
      #5675466 - 02/12/13 09:42 AM

The newer, better STF-8300 is on sale now for less than $2k brand new. A little info on what you plan to do with it would be helpful.

Saclablue

Re: NEED HELP!!! new [Re: Mike7Mak]
      #5675573 - 02/12/13 10:47 AM

Deep sky, galaxies, planetary nebula's and some bright emission nebulas of course. But mostly DSO's

Footbag
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/13/09

Loc: Scranton, PA
      #5675589 - 02/12/13 10:57 AM

What do you get for $2k? Seems expensive unless it comes with other items.

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Reged: 01/22/08

Loc: Under the clouds!
      #5675618 - 02/12/13 11:12 AM

Quote:

Deep sky, galaxies, planetary nebula's and some bright emission nebulas of course. But mostly DSO's

Welcome to CloudyNights!

Both DSLR and CCD will do just fine on DSOs.

BUT... if you are planning to go the mono CCD route you need to consider filters as well.

A DSLR will give you a wider field of view but a mono CCD will give you way more detail. The jury is still out on the DSLR vs. OSC (color CCD).

Timmins, Ontario... eh... go figure... I'm originally from Kap

Guylain

Saclablue

Re: NEED HELP!!! new [Re: guyroch]
      #5675690 - 02/12/13 11:56 AM

Yes, i understande i will need LRGB filters, as i already have 2" Lumicon O-III, HA, UHC, and an Orion H-Beta. All i need now is the SII. I am certainly not new to astronomy, just looking for an opinion on wheither to get the SBIG STF-8300m while its on sale or invest on a nice DSLR, say like a Canon 60Da or something for imaging DSO's

Kap eh!!! lol, were are you now?

Edited by Saclablue (02/12/13 12:00 PM)

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5675723 - 02/12/13 12:15 PM

A modded T2i, T3i or T4i would outperform the 60Da for half the price (or 1/4 used). Don't assume you have to spend that much on an DSLR for astro. I've started with DSLR's. They are very capable cameras and don't have a huge learning curve. The software to run them is cheap, but capable. But, being a color camera, they are limited in their sensitivity.

Now the learning curve on the STF-8300m will be much larger. I'd be reluctant to suggest buying it without an integrated filter wheel, guider, etc... So To get the most out of the STF, you would be at around $4k. With narrowband filters, it will allow you to get more out of light polluted skies.

The SBIG is a better camera, Whether it's $3500 much better is up to you.

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

#5675760 - 02/12/13 12:34 PM

Quote:

Yes, i understande i will need LRGB filters, as i already have 2" Lumicon O-III, HA, UHC, and an Orion H-Beta. All i need now is the SII. I am certainly not new to astronomy, just looking for an opinion on wheither to get the SBIG STF-8300m while its on sale or invest on a nice DSLR, say like a Canon 60Da or something for imaging DSO's

Kap eh!!! lol, were are you now?

I've been in Ottawa since '87 Actually I'm from Val-Rita but I always say Kap

Well... if you're looking at image quality the STF-8300m will provide that for sure, well beyond what any DSLR will offer. Not to say that a DSLR can not produce quality images, they sure can and they've been tried, tested, and true. But it's hard to have a DSLR come out a winner when compared against a mono CCD.

If you want the best of both world and $ is not an object, I would get the STF-8300m while it's on sale and buy a used T2i and have it modified. Just my 2 cents.

Guylain

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
Re: NEED HELP!!! new [Re: Footbag]
      #5675762 - 02/12/13 12:35 PM

I love my mono 8300 and it's the original flavor. I'm one that favors the mono approach if possible. One thing I want to mention, is that if you are getting mono you MUST use 'imaging filters' and not those equivelent you use for visual. All filters are not created equal.

In my case I have terrible light pollution and good filters make all the difference. (talk about expen$e!, look at the astrodon 3nm narrowband filter co$t) There is still a lot I cannot do, but what I can do I am happy with, most of the time.

Hope that helps.

Saclablue

Re: NEED HELP!!! new [Re: CounterWeight]
      #5675952 - 02/12/13 02:21 PM

Light pollution is no object up here in northern canada. i am in a perfect dark sky area. The milky way is easily and eye fillingly visible on any given clear night, even right in town it is visible. Now i have a T3i canaon, but i can not get it to take more than a 30 second exposure or so. on ISO 100. What is this modification to the camera every one keeps talking about? I have a t-ring adapter and a prime focus and eyepeice adapter for it but had only poopy results with it at best, nothing clear or nice like everyone elses DSLR pictures i see. Thus the reason i have have given up on this particular Camera. Wife loves it for taking pictures of flowers and stuff though.

Edited by Saclablue (02/12/13 02:43 PM)

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

#5676047 - 02/12/13 03:12 PM

Even in excellent dark skies a light pollution filter will always help. I always use one, regardless of where I'm at.

Take a look this site for information about modifying your DSLR.
http://ghonis2.ho8.com/rebelmod450d17.html

If you plan to continue using your DLSR, have it modified, don't even consider not to. You'll love it and you'll never look back

Guylain

TimN
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/20/08

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: NEED HELP!!! new [Re: guyroch]
      #5676109 - 02/12/13 03:40 PM

A 30 second exposure on iso 100 won't give you much detail. The guy from Kap has a program that should help with your DSLR - surprised he didn't mention it .

By the way, I'm from south of you guys - North Bay.

Saclablue

Re: NEED HELP!!! new [Re: TimN]
      #5676141 - 02/12/13 03:54 PM

Nice, I asume your with Norht bay astronomy club? I was Talking with Mr. Rosco a few days ago. I aswell as a few others are starting an astronomy club here in Timmins. But as far as iexposures with our DSLR all attempts have been futile. A 30 second exposure at ISO 100 still renders the best image it can produce, must be the user. lol

Footbag
Post Laureate

#5676150 - 02/12/13 04:00 PM

You should be at iso 400 at least. I'm not sure what the unity gain for your camera is, but its likely 400-800. Then buy Backyard EOS and use it to take lots and lots of exposures.

Then use Deep Sky Stacker to stack your exposures.

Your equimpment is more then capable, you just need to learn and practice.

TimN
Pooh-Bah

#5676158 - 02/12/13 04:04 PM

No, I was a member about 50 years ago. I moved from North Bay after High School and now that I'm retired I moved back to the area. I'm currently about 20 kms west of South River, in the middle of nowhere, kinda snowed in and hoping for some clear skies. Looks like its Cloudy Nights for my astronomy fix for the next while.

Saclablue

#5676229 - 02/12/13 04:37 PM

So, back to the topic, lol Should i grab that STF-8300m while its on sale or look to invest in a good DSLR and have it modified?

terry59
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/18/11

Loc: Colorado, USA
      #5676295 - 02/12/13 05:04 PM

A DSLR is much less expensive and easier to learn with. The CCD camera requires 36mm filters (LRGB and/or Ha, SII, OII) plus the filter wheel.

Edit: The CCD camera you are looking at requires the 36mm filters...not all CCD cameras

Edited by terry59 (02/12/13 06:28 PM)

TimN
Pooh-Bah

Re: NEED HELP!!! new [Re: terry59]
      #5676362 - 02/12/13 05:54 PM

I agree with Adam. You should be able to do much better with your DSLR, especially if you use at LEAST ISO 400, capture with BackyardEOS then stack with DSS. After you get that mastered, you can decide your upgrade path. As Terry says, the DSLR is easier to start with and you already have it.

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

#5676490 - 02/12/13 07:50 PM

Quote:

I agree with Adam. You should be able to do much better with your DSLR, especially if you use at LEAST ISO 400, capture with BackyardEOS then stack with DSS. After you get that mastered, you can decide your upgrade path. As Terry says, the DSLR is easier to start with and you already have it.

I agree too, buy BackyardEOS so I can buy a case of beer for the weekend

Guylain

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, fishonkevin, WOBentley, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 982

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics