Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Beginning and Intermediate Imaging

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Reged: 03/22/08

Loc: Aurora Colorado
Re: Lets see your imaging telescope set up new [Re: DaemonGPF]
      #5712991 - 03/04/13 05:31 PM Attachment (63 downloads)

My prior, prior, rig. Nexstar 8 GPS with a Hyperstar III, QHY-8 OSC, QHY-5/50mm autoguider, heavy wedge, and a few tweaks I made.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

#5712997 - 03/04/13 05:33 PM Attachment (56 downloads)

Yes, it is indeed DUAL imaging newts. Insane right? But it worked. Starblast 6 and Starblast 4.5 imaging OTAs, with a Meade DSI II OSC, Starshoot I autoguider, Starshoot II mono, all on a tuned CG-5 mount.

DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

#5713000 - 03/04/13 05:38 PM Attachment (52 downloads)

Though it wasn't intended for it, between my daughter and I, we've had quite a few successful shots with her XT6i push-to dob, including the Venus Transit, 2012 Annular Eclipse, and a few lunar mosaics. Comes equipped with an 8 yr old operator, and Mt. Dew.

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
Re: Lets see your imaging telescope set up [Re: DaemonGPF]
      #5713526 - 03/04/13 10:34 PM

NP127IS (new style) on left, HD11 on right. Both setup with SX filter wheels (loaded with every Astrodon 36mm narrowband filters) and AO's. Both Slim OAG's and Lodestar's, Both Feathertouch automated focusing. HD11 has .7x Celestron reducer with FLI PDF focuser for 0 mirror shift. Starlight Xpress H694. Cge-Pro/Aeroquest/TDM

I keep the diagonal on the scope I am not imaging through. The diagonal is the same weight as the camera. I also have a strap around the top of the refractor. This strap is the same weight as the refractor aluminum cover.. The SCT also has the same sort of setup for the dew shield cover except heavier of course.

This allows the scopes to remain balanced depending on the scope I am using.. I'll get another camera, eventually.

rigel123
Postmaster

Reged: 06/29/09

Loc: SW Ohio
Re: Lets see your imaging telescope set up [Re: Fortune07]
      #5713527 - 03/04/13 10:36 PM

Quote:

Ok, Here is the most recent version

How many extension rings are on your AT6RC to use the Moonlight focuser? (And BTW, that looks like quite a load on that mount!)

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
      #5713536 - 03/04/13 10:39 PM Attachment (66 downloads)

Tec APO160ED on A-P Mach1 on concrete pier...SBIG 8300M/FW8, ED80T-CF piggyback guidescope

Edited by CounterWeight (03/04/13 10:40 PM)

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
Re: Lets see your imaging telescope set up [Re: CounterWeight]
      #5713553 - 03/04/13 10:49 PM Attachment (45 downloads)

Hot off the press. FSQ-85 / SBIG8300M/FW8, Tak/Orion miniguider...

I may mention at times my obstacle course - here you see me imaging NGC2244 tonight and the famous telephone pole I have to image around to my SW, braces of wires... frame and ROR are the red colored stuff, and my computer cart and chair...

Dan Watt
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/13/09

Loc: Oceanside, Calfornia.
Re: Lets see your imaging telescope set up [Re: CounterWeight]
      #5713640 - 03/04/13 11:57 PM

Didn't need the DSLR cooler on this night.

DarkStarAstro
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/22/13

Loc: Southeastern US
Re: Lets see your imaging telescope set up [Re: Dan Watt]
      #5713808 - 03/05/13 03:04 AM Attachment (51 downloads)

My Current setup
Atlas
SV80ST-25SV APO triplet
Atik314L+
Orion 5 slot MFW x2 ( depending on if I am doing NB or LRGB )
Orion 50mm mini guide scope w/ SSAG
Televue 2" Extension

Having a friend pour a new concrete slab for it as soon as it warms up a bit. Might go ahead and have him do a pier in the middle while he is at it.

The one it's sitting on now is much too close to the house and cutting off my view west of meridian a lot. The new spot will give me an additional 3-4 hours worth of western sky.

Planning on adding a secondary scope this spring also for smaller objects.

Edited by DarkStarAstro (03/05/13 03:06 AM)

DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Re: Lets see your imaging telescope set up [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5713961 - 03/05/13 08:11 AM

Quote:

NP127IS (new style) on left, HD11 on right. Both setup with SX filter wheels (loaded with every Astrodon 36mm narrowband filters) and AO's. Both Slim OAG's and Lodestar's, Both Feathertouch automated focusing. HD11 has .7x Celestron reducer with FLI PDF focuser for 0 mirror shift. Starlight Xpress H694. Cge-Pro/Aeroquest/TDM

I keep the diagonal on the scope I am not imaging through. The diagonal is the same weight as the camera. I also have a strap around the top of the refractor. This strap is the same weight as the refractor aluminum cover.. The SCT also has the same sort of setup for the dew shield cover except heavier of course.

This allows the scopes to remain balanced depending on the scope I am using.. I'll get another camera, eventually.

That's quite a bit of cable management you have to deal with there. Nice work.

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

#5714734 - 03/05/13 03:48 PM

Thx..

It can be my biggest nemesis.. It took a few tweaks here and there but it's pretty solid now at any pointing location except south horizon which I don't shoot over anyways.. (LP)

DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

#5714769 - 03/05/13 04:04 PM

I can't count how many times I've tweaked my wiring on various rigs. Always a hassle, but I am a firm believer that if you get a good wiring scheme in place, it makes things so much easier to deal with, and saves a ton of time in the long run.

rigel123
Postmaster

Reged: 06/29/09

Loc: SW Ohio
      #5714847 - 03/05/13 04:39 PM

Quote:

Nice horizon! Assume you might have to deal with some LP though.

ejjh

Reged: 03/16/09

Loc: Michigan
      #5715092 - 03/05/13 06:50 PM Attachment (53 downloads)

I have a problem: I have a telescope setup...see photos...wherein I cannot get it balanced in RA and DEC in order to track. No matter what placement of accessories (I want to do EVERYTHING with one setup.... solar image with a Coronado PST with a IS DMK 41AU02 monochrome camera, lunar and planetary imaging through a 6" Celestron OTA (piggybacked) with a DFK 21AU04.AS USB CCD color camera, and deep sky imaging with a HyperStar lens and Starlight Xpress M25C with a 14" Celestron scope...all of this atop a CEG Pro mount on a permanent pier. However, no matter how well balanced I can get various configurations of accessories place , when I take continuous images in Maxim DL, stars track to the left on my monitor in as little as 2 seconds. I have four 22lb counterweights, with the Hyperstar inside the Astrozap dew shield. I have two view finder scopes...an Antares 7.5 x 50mm illuminated right angle correct image finder scope and the an illuminated one that came with the C1400, and a Telrad finder. I also have two Crayford focusers. The CGE Pro mount has a payload capacity of 90 lbs. Before I added the extra equipment, I was able to take pretty fair images with the HyperStar and was able to track for a minute without any trailing. You can see them at www.hahnenberg.org. Any suggestions? Ed

DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Re: Lets see your imaging telescope set up [Re: ejjh]
      #5715244 - 03/05/13 07:58 PM

When you release the clutches on either axis, does it physically seem balanced to you when you tip it? I'm going to assume the answer is yes for a moment.

Also if I recall, the C14 is something like 45 lbs on its own. Add on the C6 at another 10 lbs, the PST at a couple pounds, Hyperstar, RACI, Cameras, Dew shield, rails, etc, and you're pushing north of 65 lbs it looks like. Plus with the C6 on top like that you have to factor in leverage and moment arm. Same applies with the Hyperstar and dew shield looking at the other axis. The CGE Pro "maximum" load is 90 lbs assuming visual, but it's not as high for imaging. I'm guessing you're pushing capacity as is.

Have you adjusted the backlash settings to see if you get any change? You can also shift the counterweights slightly so that they "slightly" preload the gearing. It seemed to help significantly when I had my CG-5 and CGEM mounts. Obviously not the same class of mount by any means, but the concept is still sound.

DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

#5715261 - 03/05/13 08:10 PM

Quote:

Dan,

I was just looking through your site - I'm really impressed with the results you've obtained with your DSLR and that 8" newt. You're rocking images that are easily every bit as deep as what I was pulling with my 8" hyperstar with comperable exposure times. What impressed me more is how you're getting it done with a T3i, modified or otherwise. Nice work. I love my T3i and T1i (modified also), but I can't say I've had quite that level of image acquisition with them yet, not like I could with my TEC CCDs. Seriously great job on your part.

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

#5715315 - 03/05/13 08:41 PM

Quote:

I have a problem: I have a telescope setup...see photos...wherein I cannot get it balanced in RA and DEC in order to track. No matter what placement of accessories (I want to do EVERYTHING with one setup.... solar image with a Coronado PST with a IS DMK 41AU02 monochrome camera, lunar and planetary imaging through a 6" Celestron OTA (piggybacked) with a DFK 21AU04.AS USB CCD color camera, and deep sky imaging with a HyperStar lens and Starlight Xpress M25C with a 14" Celestron scope...all of this atop a CEG Pro mount on a permanent pier. However, no matter how well balanced I can get various configurations of accessories place , when I take continuous images in Maxim DL, stars track to the left on my monitor in as little as 2 seconds. I have four 22lb counterweights, with the Hyperstar inside the Astrozap dew shield. I have two view finder scopes...an Antares 7.5 x 50mm illuminated right angle correct image finder scope and the an illuminated one that came with the C1400, and a Telrad finder. I also have two Crayford focusers. The CGE Pro mount has a payload capacity of 90 lbs. Before I added the extra equipment, I was able to take pretty fair images with the HyperStar and was able to track for a minute without any trailing. You can see them at www.hahnenberg.org. Any suggestions? Ed

Got weight??

wow.. I would probably at least side by side that setup and spread some of the weight off that c14... like all of the weight off the c14!

I would bet the telescope side is taller than the counterweight side? Also, I hear a lot of people using 4 -22lb weights without issue. I try to use a max of 3 only. I am using a custom 4" threaded CW extension with 7lb's on it.

ejjh

#5715354 - 03/05/13 09:03 PM

How would you take all of the weight off the C14? Please explain. I only have one permanent pier under Exploradome. I have tried taking off the OTA...still get the same trailing. I have taken off BOTH OTA and PST...same trailing. Side by side intrigues me. How would you configure that?

ejjh

#5715359 - 03/05/13 09:05 PM

I am not familiar with backlash adjustment. I'm afraid you will have to walk me through it. I have taken the OTA off and replaced it with the PST. I have taken both off...I still get trailing.

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

#5715382 - 03/05/13 09:16 PM

I think it would be best to start a new topic under the mount forum so others may help.. This topic is about our imaging setups..

When you say you take off stuff and you still get trailing, then your polar alignment is probably off..

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5210

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics