Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Beginning and Intermediate Imaging

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: New Orion "thin" OAG new [Re: Thirteen]
      #6097381 - 09/23/13 08:30 PM

Well, mine arrived. After trying to figure out how to get the spacing correct, I ended up with a problem I can't solve. My total distance is around 45mm for my guide camera and with the spacers on the 'stalk' for the prism, it flexes quite a bit. They only put set screws on the 'side' so there isn't any way to cinch it down and prevent it from sagging.

So, looks like another botched product from Orion. Do they do any beta testing before sending this *BLEEP* out? The two set screws nearly stripped with just the camera on BEFORE the required spacing.

*SIGH*

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Wmacky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/07

Loc: Florida
Re: New Orion "thin" OAG new [Re: Raginar]
      #6097733 - 09/24/13 12:24 AM

Thats very disappointing especially as mine arrives Thursday. Perhaps others can chime in? Could you have a poorly machined unit, or are we talking about design issue? Reading further, I see the TS-OAG9 can have a similar issue, but appears very usable?

Edited by Wmacky (09/24/13 12:41 AM)

Phillip Easton
sage

Reged: 12/24/10

Loc: DFW
Re: New Orion "thin" OAG new [Re: Wmacky]
      #6098595 - 09/24/13 02:09 PM

I finally used mine this weekend and it is a mixed bag. The good, I did not have any issue with finding guide stars. Guiding seemed to be okay and was about on par with what I was getting with my 80mm short tube. Was hoping for more improvement but it might be I just need more time with it.

I found for me it can be a little difficult to focus. The stalk does move more than I think it should. I believe that most of the movement occurs at the points where you can adjust the thumb screws to slide the stalk from side to side to look for stars. Even if tightened down hard it still can wiggle. The screws act more like pivot points. Really need to have a set screw coming in from the side. In my opinion where ever the loc screws are there should be another coming in from the side to that way things are locked in two directions. BTW I have the guider platform sitting on the TOAG body so none of the stalk is exposed. So this shouldn't be flex in the stalk.

Wmacky
Carpal Tunnel

Re: New Orion "thin" OAG new [Re: Phillip Easton]
      #6098673 - 09/24/13 02:56 PM

I just don't know what to think about that. The whole point of the OAG to to elimate flex / movement. I have to say I that when I saw the the Orion used 2 opposing screws, I was worried about pivot point wobble. The TSOAG9 uses just 1 screw that pushes the stalk against the OAG body on the other side. Seems like this would lock it better. I think Orion tried for too many adjustment options. Anyone call Orion about the issue yet?

Edited by Wmacky (09/24/13 02:57 PM)

Raginar
Post Laureate

#6098921 - 09/24/13 05:16 PM

I sent them an email... no response back. I think I'm gonna get a different 'better built' model. A hu-tech came available in the S&S. Anyone have any experiences with them?

It could be fixed by drilling a hole 90-degrees out and placing another set screw. I think you're right that they tried to make it *too* adjustable.

Build quality is alright IMHO.

Edited by Raginar (09/24/13 05:18 PM)

Wmacky
Carpal Tunnel

#6099157 - 09/24/13 07:16 PM

Hu-tech way to thick for my needs. TSOAG9 would work but still has "some" rigidity issues. Lacerta solves the issue but is thicker.(want to stay with the T-ring replacement idea) If I were to send the Orion back, I have no idea what I would buy. I wish someone had a TSOAG9, and as Orion in front of them to compare?

Phillip Easton
sage

#6099285 - 09/24/13 08:31 PM

I emailed support and they indicated what I was seeing wasn't normal. Waiting on next step.

Raginar
Post Laureate

#6099297 - 09/24/13 08:38 PM

Maybe I got a *BLEEP* one too.

Wmacky
Carpal Tunnel

#6101305 - 09/25/13 09:17 PM

Mine arrives tomorrow. I will advise as to what I find. Please keep us up to date on any further word from Orion, or if any get sent back.

Raginar
Post Laureate

#6101361 - 09/25/13 09:54 PM

I don't think I out a bad word in that. Anyways, they basically said the feedback has been provided to their engineers and that their 'fix' is to use tape...

I might tap it tomorrow and put another set screw on the front. I can't think of a reason why this won't work. Anyone want to chime in as to why that's a bad idea?

Phillip Easton
sage

#6101467 - 09/25/13 10:58 PM

If your configuration is like mine in the last picture I posted, (everything collapsed and no stalk showing). Not sure how much tape would help.

I think if you have stalk showing them tape is worth a try. Also about some sort of clamp or even a hose clamp if you could find the right size. Maybe a small c-clamp?

I do think a three sections need a set screw on either the front or back. If I had the tools I would tap them. I think this would go along way to making it more solid.

Cheers!

Edited by Phillip Easton (09/25/13 11:07 PM)

Wmacky
Carpal Tunnel

Re: New Orion "thin" OAG new [Re: Thirteen]
      #6103162 - 09/26/13 10:29 PM

OK, the OAG came in.

First, I'd like to say it's a very nice looking piece of kit. Really couldn't look any nicer as a matter of fact. And it seems well made. On to the important parts!

I almost immediately snugged down the screws, and gave it a wiggle test. I did detect a slight rocking right where the guide platform attaches to the stalk. So I attempted to tighten the "focus adjust screws", and it felt like both the set screws almost immediately wanted to strip! I should have known better!

Here's the issue guys. I'm into large RC helicopters and have to deal with this exact size set screws a whole bunch, and I will tell you that they should not ever be tighten with a normal hex wrench. They are just too small for a cheap wrench with pressed, or cast edges. I have a special hex driver with machined edges on the hex. It does NOT slip! For example.

http://www.rcboca.com/dynamite-machined-hex-driver-1-5mm.html?gclid=CMioptvA6...

You really need one if your going to keep this OAG.

Anyway with the proper driver. the platform tighten right up even with the partially stripped setscrew. I tightened the lower set screw also, and hand tightened the thumbscrews nice and snug.

I don't know guys, it seems pretty rigid to me? I'm not really wiggling it hard as I don't want to break it, but my guider will be a light ASI120. It seems rigid enough for that.I'm going to use it as is before thing about a new setscrew.

Now for the bad. Where the heck is my T2 adapter? It wasn't in the fricking box!! looks like call to Orion for me tomorrow!

Also, I have to lock the EOS Adapter to the camera first, then attach the OAG to it. I can't seem to do it all attached as the guider platform rubs the camera case and strains the stalk as I try to rotate the T- ring. Anyone else see this? It's an issue no matter the length position of the stalk. It's fine once rotated into position to the bottom of the camera, but rubs badly during the rotation?

Edited by Wmacky (09/26/13 10:53 PM)

Phillip Easton
sage

#6103257 - 09/26/13 11:29 PM

Quote:

OK, the OAG came in.

Here's the issue guys. I'm into large RC helicopters and have to deal with this exact size set screws a whole bunch, and I will tell you that they should not ever be tighten with a normal hex wrench. They are just too small for a cheap wrench with pressed, or cast edges. I have a special hex driver with machined edges on the hex. It does NOT slip! For example.

http://www.rcboca.com/dynamite-machined-hex-driver-1-5mm.html?gclid=CMioptvA6...

You really need one if your going to keep this OAG.

I noticed this too that it felt like the Allen wrench was stripping the head. I grabbed one of my better wrenches it seemed better but still not quite right. Thanks for the info!

Raginar
Post Laureate

#6103734 - 09/27/13 09:30 AM

Gonna stop by the local Hobby shop on the way home today. You're awesome

Anyone guiding with it yet? How is it?

Wmacky
Carpal Tunnel

Re: New Orion "thin" OAG [Re: Raginar]
      #6103917 - 09/27/13 10:51 AM

Be careful with the new hex driver, and don't over tighten! It won't round over, but the tip will snap off as the metal is very hard, but brittle (buy an extra tip!) Also while there, pick up some extra 1.5mm Set screws!

Edited by Wmacky (09/28/13 12:51 AM)

Raginar
Post Laureate

Re: New Orion "thin" OAG [Re: Wmacky]
      #6104936 - 09/27/13 09:15 PM

So they sent me a new one today apparently. Interesting response

Wmacky
Carpal Tunnel

Re: New Orion "thin" OAG [Re: Raginar]
      #6105100 - 09/27/13 11:22 PM

Called for a missing t-2 ring, and I'm getting a new one too???? I guess there are no spare parts?

Thirteen
sage

Reged: 07/12/13

Loc: Milford, Michigan
Re: New Orion "thin" OAG [Re: Wmacky]
      #6105110 - 09/27/13 11:31 PM

So how much are these lightly used ones selling for? haha.

Raginar
Post Laureate

Re: New Orion "thin" OAG [Re: Thirteen]
      #6105570 - 09/28/13 09:43 AM

I'm still in my return window.

Raginar
Post Laureate

Re: New Orion "thin" OAG [Re: Thirteen]
      #6106718 - 09/28/13 11:05 PM

K, so I tried it tonight and got stars. But... It's 2 inches from the center of it to the tip of my lodestar... so that means I need my camera to be at least that far away too right?I need another spacer to make it happen. Oh, and I broke the tip of a ball end hex wrench off in one side. Any ideas on how to get that out?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, fishonkevin, WOBentley, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5209

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics