Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
edosaurusrex
sage

Reged: 01/30/07

Loc: Ft Worth, TX
Re: 4:06 am moon... Mons Pico view, WOW!! new [Re: thomas68]
      #5438647 - 09/24/12 07:23 PM

Hi Tom,

When was that picture taken? I want check my prediction vs reality.

Ed

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
thomas68
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/25/11

Loc: North west Indiana
Re: 4:06 am moon... Mons Pico view, WOW!! new [Re: edosaurusrex]
      #5438903 - 09/24/12 10:45 PM

I think about 8pm central time 9-23-12

Tom

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #5438954 - 09/24/12 11:11 PM

I do until I see UT time then I dont bother. Most of the time its a simple matter but I have missed two events by a full day for not calculating right. Why someone cant use whatever time zone they have and stuck with it is beyond me.
Eitherway, a small calculation is needed if its out of whomevers time timezone. I kno the stricter reasons why UT is used but for the most part it does nothing for me.

Pete

Perigny270

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Temiscaming, Quebec
Re: 4:06 am moon... Mons Pico view, WOW!! new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5460319 - 10/08/12 10:07 AM

I wanted to see the sunset in Plato as well as the fully lit Mons Pico so I got out this morning to have a look (12 hrs before EdosaurusRex's Pico sunset time). The terminator was right at the base of the mountain. An hour later there was no longer any shadow as the plain east of it was dark. And Mons Pico was spectacular as it was lit up brightly.
This was really fun as transpareny was horrible with 30-second clear patches between clouds with high haze. It did clear as the morning progressed. I managed 150X nonetheless.
Bonus was Harpalus west of there. It was lit up brilliantly.
As for Plato, I missed the sunset on the crater floor. I'll have to get up a little earlier on the next round, or watch for it a little later on the next sunrise.
The moon always has something for us even when conditions are not great.

edosaurusrex
sage

Re: 4:06 am moon... Mons Pico view, WOW!! new [Re: Perigny270]
      #5461349 - 10/08/12 10:08 PM

WOW! at 1/2 degree per hour that's a 6 degree error on my part. Better recheck my Pico position.

Ed

Perigny270

#5462706 - 10/09/12 07:13 PM

Let us know what you found. I really appreciate having that little table.

edosaurusrex
sage

#5462793 - 10/09/12 08:05 PM

I rechecked the position in the program and it's sitting at N45.7 and W8.9 (under Plato). The 12hrs off is curious because I use the same program for the Werner X predictions and I'm within minutes of other X-Men's calculations.

1309UT is 0909EDT (my assumption so please let me know when and where your obsevation took place). so 12 hrs sooner is 2109 the previous day 07 OCT. If however you observed at 0109EDT that's 0509UT or 8hrs (4 degrees) sooner than predicted - still too late but it can't be easily explained by something like the 0.5 day term for converting from the Julian Date to the calendar date. Hmmmmm.

Perigny270

#5462917 - 10/09/12 09:39 PM

I had looked up your table and made a date for the morning of the 8th. I was looking out from 7h00 to 8h30 EDT. The terminator was moving up Mons Pico during that time so your calculation was very close. I must have just missed the sunset in Plato.
As for the 12 hour delay I misread the table and used the time for Sept 8. Stupid me. No wonder I wasn't early... So I apologize for the unnecessary running around. A lesson for me to refer to the absolute time in correspondence rather than relative (eg 12 hrs early).
BTW I am observing from Temiscaming in NW Quebec 46oN 79oW.
Thanks for everything. It really was something to see the terminator move across such a visible landmark - worth every minute of peeking through the clouds!
I'll be watching for the next sunrise. Clear skies to you.

Edited by Perigny270 (10/10/12 07:06 AM)

edosaurusrex
sage

#5462939 - 10/09/12 10:00 PM

Thanks Eric. I guess that means I have to stop drinking (opened up a bottle o' Crown when I couldn't reconcile my failure). I'll post the dates for 2013 in November so we'll be guaranteed to have at least 25 cloudy days.

Ed

Edited by edosaurusrex (10/10/12 12:14 PM)

waso29
sage

Reged: 05/12/10

Loc: Chi-Town, USA, mother earth
      #5464091 - 10/10/12 04:17 PM

Here's a fuzzy iPhone shot of the evil looking peaks and Plato too from Monday 1 a.m.

Perigny270

Re: 4:06 am moon... Mons Pico view, WOW!! new [Re: waso29]
      #5464236 - 10/10/12 06:31 PM

It may be fuzzy, but you can see the peaks as well as the shadow creeping across Plato. 6 hours later Plato was dark. Neat how quickly it all changes. Thanks for the pic.

Perigny270

#5531255 - 11/20/12 11:01 PM

After weeks of clouds and haze, tonight broke out clear. Mons Pico is on tap for tomorrow, but tonight Mons Piton is the star - WOW! It is still well beyond the terminator but the peak is up in the sunlight. A glowing semi-circle with sparkles. I just gazed at it and watched the terminator creep towards its base. Lots of action nearby - Mons Blanc and Prom. Deville made a nice chain not far away. The shadows of Montes Caucasus and the rim of Cassini were going down. The east side of Cassini was all wrinkly with a coulpe of rills not far away. Hyginus was an interesting feature I had not really noticed before - the light was just right.
As the evening progressed seeing got better and better. All the way to 6.7mm barlowed 2X with my ED102 (210X). (2X4.7 was no good).
Thank goodness for my observing chair. A nice evening truly gazing comfortably.
I took a few peeks at Jupiter, M42, Rigel and a couple of double stars near the Pleiades while waiting for the moon to turn towards the sun some more. What a joyful night.

This happens to be the first anniversary since I got my first telescope (8SE). That instrument was parked because the early evening was cloudy; looking at stars was out of the question so it was left inside. I took out the 102 because the clouds cleared away while I walked the dog - the moon beckoned me and I was done...
I am thankful for all the advice from my forum friends that have allowed me to take advantage of such beautiful sights. I hope that some of you read this.

Maybe a good report about Mons Pico and Plato tomorrow: I have Edosaurus's schedule in hand.

Perigny270

#5533036 - 11/21/12 10:14 PM

Fog and clouds. No Mons Pico tonight.
Am I glad I got out yesterday.

mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/10

#5541506 - 11/27/12 04:14 AM

Quote:

That instrument was parked because the early evening was cloudy; looking at stars was out of the question so it was left inside. I took out the 102 because the clouds cleared away while I walked the dog - the moon beckoned me and I was done...
I am thankful for all the advice from my forum friends that have allowed me to take advantage of such beautiful sights. I hope that some of you read this.

Read it and enjoyed it!
Thanks for the Piton report. I will have to see Hyginus, I don't think I've looked for it before. Right now though I am "between scopes", so all I can do is read the reports here and imagine. Which is a lot better than nothing!
Ya the Pico/Piton area is really special, and strange. I miss it...

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Nyctophobia, Maryland, USA
Re: 4:06 am moon... Mons Pico view, WOW!! new [Re: mark8888]
      #5551226 - 12/02/12 10:58 PM

Mark,

Great photo, great report. You mentioned the eyepieces you used, the binoviewer, and how you took the picture. But I don't see the most important aspect of the observation and I'm surprised no one else asked about it:

What telescope did you use?

Mike

mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

Re: 4:06 am moon... Mons Pico view, WOW!! new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5551440 - 12/03/12 02:55 AM

Thanks! It was........ (drumroll...)

a TEC 140.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5551573 - 12/03/12 06:49 AM

Mike

mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

#5553675 - 12/04/12 10:10 AM

I took a good long look at the moon tonight with my WO 22x70 binoculars... it's really something I should do more often. Mons Pico was looking prominent and bright - to be honest I wasn't expecting to be able to see it at all without more magnification. Pico Beta, very close to it, was also visible but less prominent, maybe half as bright. Montes Teneriffe, also nearby (in the photo at the top of the thread, Mons Pico is directly below Plato, Pico Beta is directly below Mons Pico, and Montes Teneriffe is to the left of Mons Pico) was at approx. the same brightness as Pico Beta, but a bit more prominent because it covers a wider area. Really, the whole scene looked pretty much like the photo at the top of the thread, at approx. that scale, but without the long Pico shadow due to the timing. And not quite as crisp, the TEC sure is a better optic than the WO, though the WO is definitely enjoyable.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5553716 - 12/04/12 10:37 AM

Sinus Iridum is one of my favorite lunar landscapes, too. But I don't get out much in the early AM for Moon viewing. Maybe I'll do that more often when I retire.

My favorite grab-n-go Moon scope is a 90mm Mak. Lately, though, I've been experiencing focus slip when the temps get around freezing.

Mike

mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

#5555022 - 12/05/12 02:55 AM

Yeah, it's really a great area of the moon. It's so open, and so whatever features are there seem especially prominent, even little ones.

Retirement sounds good to me.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, star drop, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8301

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics