Observing >> Lunar Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
mikewirths
Vendor-Baja Dark Skies

Reged: 06/16/08

Loc: San Pedro Martir Mexico
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5672660 - 02/10/13 04:37 PM

I think one of mine was spotting Rima Sheepshanks visually last year during very good seeing and using high power!

cheers

Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dave Chapman
sage

Reged: 01/27/07

Loc: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: mikewirths]
      #5673521 - 02/11/13 05:59 AM

I have many favorites, but one experience that stands out is one night while I was observing for the RASC's Isabel Williamson Lunar Observing Certificate. normally, I would "prep" inside for an hour during the day, then spend 40-60 minutes at the telescope. One night, the seeing was so good, just kept observing for hours, not wanting to step away, until I was literally falling asleep at the eyepiece!

Clear skies

Dave

HellsKitchen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/05/08

Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: Dave Chapman]
      #5673710 - 02/11/13 09:52 AM

One night last year the seeing was nearly perfect. I was viewing mountain peaks at the terminator casting spectacular, shark-tooth shadows across maria and crater beds at over 700x with my 8" newtonian. I was also observing the undulating hills and mountains on the illuminated limb against the black sky at powers of 600x to over 800x, it was quite mesmerizing seeing how undulated the limb of the moon really is at 100x per inch in a Newtonian with essentially perfect seeing.

Edited by HellsKitchen (02/11/13 10:17 AM)

Dave MitskyModerator
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: HellsKitchen]
      #5676705 - 02/12/13 10:16 PM

Mine was discovering the Walther Lunar Sunset Crater Ray, the first of the previously unknown lunar crater rays that I happened to chance upon. My friend Tony Donnangelo was even more successful than me in that endeavor.

http://www.lunar-occultations.com/rlo/rays/walter.htm

http://www.lunar-occultations.com/rlo/rays/rays.htm

http://www.lunar-occultations.com/rlo/rays/robinsonarticle.htm

Dave Mitsky

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #5682274 - 02/15/13 08:19 PM

One experience that I will relay here that occurred to another observer who posted it on CN happened while observing a crater near the moons limb if I recall - some side elevation was seen. At any rate such was the focus and concentration this observer managed that amazingly the scope disappeared and he felt as though he were at the crater itself on the moon.
I mentioned that kind if focus and concentration was a kind of hypnosis (self) and that while it may have seemed odd it was the minds tunnel vision and sense of presence that brought it about in such an intimate way. I do wish I had that mans post to link here.

Pete

Edited by azure1961p (02/15/13 08:23 PM)

JerryOrr

Reged: 03/08/13

Loc: Oracle, Arizona
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: 67champ]
      #5734099 - 03/15/13 12:59 PM

Glimpsing portions of Rimae Triesnecker with a 90mm refractor at 91x. At first thinking I was just imagining it, then, in the occasional moment of perfect seeing, knowing for certain I was seeing it. Especially pleasing because Virtual Moon Atlas claims that one needs at least a 300mm instument to see it!

Otto Piechowski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/20/05

Loc: Lexington, KY
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: JerryOrr]
      #5734115 - 03/15/13 01:10 PM

TV transmissions from the moon during Apollo 8. Two different ones; the earth rise captured by Borman. And then the panorama of the moon passing by as they read the beginning of the book of Genesis; the first creation story; all on Christmas eve.

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/10

Loc: Davison, Michigan
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: Otto Piechowski]
      #5735116 - 03/15/13 10:16 PM

Mine was while watching Carl Sagan's Cosmos. There was a re-enactment of some Canterbury monks that all looked up and saw a lunar impact on the far side of the moon. Neat mystery whether it was aerial phenomenon or lunar.

cpsTN
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/26/07

Loc: Rutherford Co, TN
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: buddyjesus]
      #5736306 - 03/16/13 01:31 PM

All of these are great.

JerryOrr: If I am reading the size correctly from VMA, the diameter of Rimae Triesnecker is about a mile. Why do they say you should need a 12" scope to see something that is over 1500m wide? Am I reading the size correctly?

Otto: If anyone read from the Bible during a mission now, some Atheists and the ACLU would have a cow!

Edited by cpsTN (03/16/13 01:58 PM)

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: cpsTN]
      #5737947 - 03/17/13 02:37 AM

Quote:

All of these are great.

JerryOrr: If I am reading the size correctly from VMA, the diameter of Rimae Triesnecker is about a mile. Why do they say you should need a 12" scope to see something that is over 1500m wide? Am I reading the size correctly?

Otto: If anyone read from the Bible during a mission now, some Atheists and the ACLU would have a cow!

Actually, small linear features can be detected by telescopes that are much smaller than more extended features like craters. A 12 inch should be able to show craterlets as the small pits they are down to a size of around 0.75 miles (1.2 km), but some narrow linear features may be glimpsed on the surface that are only 70 yards across. This is due to their simpler diffraction structure. Clear skies to you.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: David Knisely]
      #5738252 - 03/17/13 09:29 AM

On that note I recall Patrick Moore in one of the tables and indexes in the back of a book he wrote on the solar system claimed linear features like rilles and such being detected at 1/10 the dawes limit and in one case aseperate account was had with the Harvard Refractor on a 4human hair at something in the neighborhood of 1000 feet distance that equated to FOURTEEN times finer than its rated Dawes.mething to consider, its been stated a white line on a black background will appear wider than a black line on a light background - an effect of diffraction.

Pete

Edited by azure1961p (03/17/13 05:27 PM)

Otto Piechowski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/20/05

Loc: Lexington, KY
      #5739035 - 03/17/13 04:25 PM

Yes, that was a good one!

If the asteroid that's passing 30K kilometers from Mars, were to hit Mars, it would generate an explosion of 1 trillion megatons. Would the flash be visible from earth?

LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

Reged: 04/23/03

Loc: Trussville, AL
      #5745751 - 03/20/13 05:37 PM

I have a few:
Seeing lunar sunset at Messier and Messier A, the shadow went on for miles and miles.

Glimpsing Mare Orientale.

Copernicus crater under awesome seeing.

Reverend-JT

Reged: 03/20/13

#5747147 - 03/21/13 09:15 AM

Quote:

TV transmissions from the moon during Apollo 8. Two different ones; the earth rise captured by Borman. And then the panorama of the moon passing by as they read the beginning of the book of Genesis; the first creation story; all on Christmas eve.

Just reading this gave me goosebumps...I'm going to like it here.

Steve Daniel

Reged: 06/03/12

Loc: Austin, TX
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: Reverend-JT]
      #5747329 - 03/21/13 10:59 AM

Watching sunset on some mountain peak at the limb. No idea which mountain. Great seeing, and over the 90 or so minutes I watched, I could see the line between night and day move up the mountain, the lit part getting smaller and smaller, until it was gone. Who says the moon is unchanging?

chaoscosmos
sage

Reged: 01/26/13

Loc: Mission Viejo CA
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: Steve Daniel]
      #5814818 - 04/22/13 08:30 AM

More than 20 years ago I was viewing the moon through a small refractor at night when a goose, surely in migration, flying very high up, suddenly and without warning passed right through the center of my view of luna. It was such an unexpected and magical moment that it gave me, well...... goose bumps. It was something that I'll never forget.

Edited by chaoscosmos (04/22/13 08:31 PM)

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/10

Loc: Davison, Michigan
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: chaoscosmos]
      #5815736 - 04/22/13 05:17 PM

Mine was just about a year or two ago as after about 25 years of astronomy I rarely looked at the moon. I always just dismissed every feature as either a crater or a mountain and didn't interest me. Then one night the moon was about 4/5th full and I saw what I thought was a crater with bent rays. I looked it up in Rukl and saw that it was Reiter gamma and not rays at all! Then I looked up this feature online and saw that there is still some contention as for what made it. Been hooked ever since looking for smaller and smaller details in the Lunar 100 and 200(everything that is visible in my aperture.)

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
      #5815798 - 04/22/13 05:36 PM

One night, after some prodding from Pete (azure), the seeing calmed and the Cat's Paw and Sabine C, which I had been pursuing and almost observing for some time, just sat there clear as a bell.

Or, maybe it was the Plato crater challenge.

rookie
Good Night Nurse

Reged: 01/14/06

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: Asbytec]
      #5816088 - 04/22/13 06:44 PM

The LRO images of Alan Shepard's footprints from Apollo 14 that reveal he was only 100 ft from Cone Crater.
Tough Moonwalk

contrailmaker
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/02/09

Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? [Re: rookie]
      #5819072 - 04/24/13 02:21 AM

Gosh, I've been a Lunartic for so long. There are just too many to single out just one.

-Lunar eclipses, so many
-Saturn occultation (in plain daylight)
-Seeing sunrise/sunset rays is always fun and memorable
-Every time I see the Alpine Rille
-Finding an elusive volcanic dome

cm

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, star drop, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3817

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics