Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Lunar Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Happy Birthday cpsTN
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/26/07

Loc: Rutherford Co, TN
What is your most memorable Lunar sight?
      #5664083 - 02/05/13 06:03 PM

My most memorable Lunar sight was a couple years ago: I have never forgotten, nor will I, the time I saw the Serpentine Ridge in Mare Serentitatis under the right light and shadow at only 180x with my 8" f/6 dob. Not only did it look 3-D but it looked like a double-braided rope, weaving in and out of the "sand". Amazing!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RobertED
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/11/03

Loc: Smithfield, RI
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: cpsTN]
      #5664355 - 02/05/13 09:36 PM

A very crisp, clear image of Hadley Rille!!! (viewed through Ladd Observatory's 12" Brashear refractor!).....

dan777
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/16/07

Loc: Indiana
      #5664410 - 02/05/13 10:07 PM

Vallis Rheita - It was if I was looking through a long canyon that had steep sides. The lighting and sun angle were so perfect that I'm not sure I'll ever see that view again. Lunar day 18, colongitude 134.0, 170x in my 8" dob.

davidmcgo
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/09/04

Loc: San Diego, CA
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: dan777]
      #5664435 - 02/05/13 10:29 PM

I have had a few in the last few years. One was a perfect night where my 1965 Celestron C10 gave me a fabulous view of Rima Marius, Rima Brayley, and the Prinz rilles.

The second was with my 10.25" F17 Dall Kirkham giving me a steady view of the rille in the Alpine Valley at about 455x.

Third was with my TV85 and seeing Mare Nectaris near the terminator and having shadow between it at the ridges around it, looking completely like an impact basin!

And I'm envious of Robert, that 12" Brashear at Ladd is a beautiful classic scope! I had a chance a few years back to admire it with a small group of friends from Skyscrapers for two nights hoping thunderstorms would clear to let us see Mars.

Dave

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: davidmcgo]
      #5664753 - 02/06/13 07:50 AM

Most recently - good seeing and excellent sun angle across the Hadley rille giving it a sculptural feel I hadn't seen quite they good before through my. 8". It handled 364x beautifully. Before that, seeing Catena Davy *resolve* through my 70mm. Of course the crater chain is made up of craters below the angular resolution of the 70mm but what it did resolve lent a glittering appearance as it wavered in and out with the seeing.

The first wow moment ever with the moon? Seeing Mare Crisium through binos 7x50 at 12.

Pet

Edited by azure1961p (02/06/13 08:34 AM)

RobertED
Post Laureate

Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5664969 - 02/06/13 10:50 AM

Dave, so cool that you had a chance to see Ladd Obs. and the Brashear!! I'm sure you've also had the pleasure of checking out the 8" Alvan Clark at Skyscrapers' Seagrave Observatory!! Both are awesome scopes and the owners do keep them in meticulous shape!! Hopefelly, you'll get to see Mars, Saturn and Jupiter in that Brashear, someday!!!

Tim2723
The Moon Guy

Reged: 02/19/04

Loc: Northern New Jersey
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: RobertED]
      #5665380 - 02/06/13 02:21 PM

My most memorable Lunar sight didn't involve a scope at all. It's that weird illusion that can happen during the very early crescent at twilight when Earth shine illuminates the whole Moon and it appears to be a three-dimensional ball hanging just above the horizon. When it looks like the Moon is inside our atmosphere and you could reach up and touch it.

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
      #5665792 - 02/06/13 06:21 PM

Mine came early on when as a kid with a 2.4 inch refractor. I got to see the Appenine mountains at lunar sunrise and realized that they were not just mountains but were actually a sharp gigantic ring-like escarpment that went much of the way around Mare Imbrium. This instantly told me that Mare Imbrium was an impact basin, as my Sky and Telescope issue from early in the previous year had highlighted the "bulls-eye" ring formations of the Mare Orientale impact basin. Another great early sight a few years later was a day or so past full moon with my 8 inch Newtonian when viewing the southern highlands along the lunar limb at 237x and 357x, getting an almost "side" profile view of the terraced interior of Boussingault and the rugged areas around it. That region is still one of my favorites to look at to this day, and now with my 14 inch, I can do so at some *very* high powers (over 800x one night). Clear skies to you.

Carol L

Reged: 07/05/04

Loc: Tomahawk, WI 45N//89W
      #5665973 - 02/06/13 08:35 PM

My most memorable lunar sight was watching sunrise on Mons Rumker.
It took several hours from beginning to end - absolutely stunning!

desertstars

Reged: 11/05/03

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: Carol L]
      #5666104 - 02/06/13 09:57 PM

The first time I looked at the Aristarchus Plateau with an 8" Newtonian and an understanding of what I was seeing.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: desertstars]
      #5666168 - 02/06/13 10:35 PM

Oh then there was that time Saturn grazed just *above* the moon some years ago - looked like a flying saucer. Amazing how low as turns surface brightness was to the moons brilliance.

Pete

Kutno
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/17/09

#5666174 - 02/06/13 10:38 PM

I am torn, Charles, between two views that are etched in my mind. One occurred while using a single eyepiece. The other occurred while binoviewing.

In mono mode: A stunning Wather Ray event, during the night of July 24/25, 2008, ended when the setting sun's light narrowed to a laser-like sliver across the crater floor.

While binoviewing: An amazingly dark Schiller, with an illuminated rim, during the night of August 15/16, 2009. The crater hauntingly appeared as a sharply defined deep black pool floating on the Lunar surface.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: Kutno]
      #5666376 - 02/07/13 01:41 AM

Mine was the first time seeing it naked-eye as a single image instead of triple, after getting my cataracts fixed.

SusanY

Reged: 02/05/13

Loc: Cape Town, South Africa
      #5667110 - 02/07/13 01:39 PM

My most memorable sight of the moon was on 20 July 1969, as a little kid, lying on the grass in what was then Salisbury, Rhodesia (now Harare, Zimbabwe), gazing at the moon and thinking, "Two Americans are walking on it right now."

Happy Birthday cpsTN
Carpal Tunnel

Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: SusanY]
      #5670251 - 02/09/13 07:58 AM

Bobong: On July 20, '69, I was only 361 days old. They touched down back on Earth on my 1st birthday (07/24/69).

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
      #5670334 - 02/09/13 09:10 AM

A grazing occultation of Saturn. Watching the planet play hide-and-seek behind the unlit lunar mountains was incredible.

RobertED
Post Laureate

Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: kfiscus]
      #5670598 - 02/09/13 11:59 AM

Quote:

A grazing occultation of Saturn. Watching the planet play hide-and-seek behind the unlit lunar mountains was incredible.

AWESOME!!....I can imagine how cool that would've been!! I've yet to witness that!!

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5671210 - 02/09/13 06:56 PM

Quote:

Mine was the first time seeing it naked-eye as a single image instead of triple, after getting my cataracts fixed.

When did that happen Rick?

Pete

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
      #5671761 - 02/10/13 03:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

When did that happen Rick?

Pete

Pete,
It's been, I believe, about two years. I'd have to check; but that's close.
(PM me for "the rest of the story")

67champ
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/03/06

Loc: Ohio, USA
      #5672636 - 02/10/13 04:22 PM

Probably to nobodys surprise, what I refer to as the Lunar X these days is my most memorable Lunar sight. It was summer, 1978 and I was a 15 year old kid that had no idea what that X-shape "thing" could be... I did not know that the illumination phase of the moon had anthing to do with being able to see it or not. Over the years I thought about that "X on the Moon" many, many, many times...

Life changing events of sorts brought me back to astronomy and that old friend in 2005. I'll never forget that first observation of the X and everytime I see it, even all these years later, I get that feeling of excitement and wonder that I felt back then. I guess that's why I just can't let it go..

dana t

mikewirths
Vendor-Baja Dark Skies

Reged: 06/16/08

Loc: San Pedro Martir Mexico
      #5672660 - 02/10/13 04:37 PM

I think one of mine was spotting Rima Sheepshanks visually last year during very good seeing and using high power!

cheers

Mike

Dave Chapman
sage

Reged: 01/27/07

Loc: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: mikewirths]
      #5673521 - 02/11/13 05:59 AM

I have many favorites, but one experience that stands out is one night while I was observing for the RASC's Isabel Williamson Lunar Observing Certificate. normally, I would "prep" inside for an hour during the day, then spend 40-60 minutes at the telescope. One night, the seeing was so good, just kept observing for hours, not wanting to step away, until I was literally falling asleep at the eyepiece!

Clear skies

Dave

HellsKitchen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/05/08

Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: Dave Chapman]
      #5673710 - 02/11/13 09:52 AM

One night last year the seeing was nearly perfect. I was viewing mountain peaks at the terminator casting spectacular, shark-tooth shadows across maria and crater beds at over 700x with my 8" newtonian. I was also observing the undulating hills and mountains on the illuminated limb against the black sky at powers of 600x to over 800x, it was quite mesmerizing seeing how undulated the limb of the moon really is at 100x per inch in a Newtonian with essentially perfect seeing.

Edited by HellsKitchen (02/11/13 10:17 AM)

Dave MitskyModerator
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: HellsKitchen]
      #5676705 - 02/12/13 10:16 PM

Mine was discovering the Walther Lunar Sunset Crater Ray, the first of the previously unknown lunar crater rays that I happened to chance upon. My friend Tony Donnangelo was even more successful than me in that endeavor.

http://www.lunar-occultations.com/rlo/rays/walter.htm

http://www.lunar-occultations.com/rlo/rays/rays.htm

http://www.lunar-occultations.com/rlo/rays/robinsonarticle.htm

Dave Mitsky

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #5682274 - 02/15/13 08:19 PM

One experience that I will relay here that occurred to another observer who posted it on CN happened while observing a crater near the moons limb if I recall - some side elevation was seen. At any rate such was the focus and concentration this observer managed that amazingly the scope disappeared and he felt as though he were at the crater itself on the moon.
I mentioned that kind if focus and concentration was a kind of hypnosis (self) and that while it may have seemed odd it was the minds tunnel vision and sense of presence that brought it about in such an intimate way. I do wish I had that mans post to link here.

Pete

Edited by azure1961p (02/15/13 08:23 PM)

JerryOrr

Reged: 03/08/13

Loc: Oracle, Arizona
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: 67champ]
      #5734099 - 03/15/13 12:59 PM

Glimpsing portions of Rimae Triesnecker with a 90mm refractor at 91x. At first thinking I was just imagining it, then, in the occasional moment of perfect seeing, knowing for certain I was seeing it. Especially pleasing because Virtual Moon Atlas claims that one needs at least a 300mm instument to see it!

Otto Piechowski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/20/05

Loc: Lexington, KY
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: JerryOrr]
      #5734115 - 03/15/13 01:10 PM

TV transmissions from the moon during Apollo 8. Two different ones; the earth rise captured by Borman. And then the panorama of the moon passing by as they read the beginning of the book of Genesis; the first creation story; all on Christmas eve.

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/10

Loc: Davison, Michigan
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: Otto Piechowski]
      #5735116 - 03/15/13 10:16 PM

Mine was while watching Carl Sagan's Cosmos. There was a re-enactment of some Canterbury monks that all looked up and saw a lunar impact on the far side of the moon. Neat mystery whether it was aerial phenomenon or lunar.

Happy Birthday cpsTN
Carpal Tunnel

Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: buddyjesus]
      #5736306 - 03/16/13 01:31 PM

All of these are great.

JerryOrr: If I am reading the size correctly from VMA, the diameter of Rimae Triesnecker is about a mile. Why do they say you should need a 12" scope to see something that is over 1500m wide? Am I reading the size correctly?

Otto: If anyone read from the Bible during a mission now, some Atheists and the ACLU would have a cow!

Edited by cpsTN (03/16/13 01:58 PM)

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
      #5737947 - 03/17/13 02:37 AM

Quote:

All of these are great.

JerryOrr: If I am reading the size correctly from VMA, the diameter of Rimae Triesnecker is about a mile. Why do they say you should need a 12" scope to see something that is over 1500m wide? Am I reading the size correctly?

Otto: If anyone read from the Bible during a mission now, some Atheists and the ACLU would have a cow!

Actually, small linear features can be detected by telescopes that are much smaller than more extended features like craters. A 12 inch should be able to show craterlets as the small pits they are down to a size of around 0.75 miles (1.2 km), but some narrow linear features may be glimpsed on the surface that are only 70 yards across. This is due to their simpler diffraction structure. Clear skies to you.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: David Knisely]
      #5738252 - 03/17/13 09:29 AM

On that note I recall Patrick Moore in one of the tables and indexes in the back of a book he wrote on the solar system claimed linear features like rilles and such being detected at 1/10 the dawes limit and in one case aseperate account was had with the Harvard Refractor on a 4human hair at something in the neighborhood of 1000 feet distance that equated to FOURTEEN times finer than its rated Dawes.mething to consider, its been stated a white line on a black background will appear wider than a black line on a light background - an effect of diffraction.

Pete

Edited by azure1961p (03/17/13 05:27 PM)

Otto Piechowski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/20/05

Loc: Lexington, KY
      #5739035 - 03/17/13 04:25 PM

Yes, that was a good one!

If the asteroid that's passing 30K kilometers from Mars, were to hit Mars, it would generate an explosion of 1 trillion megatons. Would the flash be visible from earth?

LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

Reged: 04/23/03

Loc: Trussville, AL
      #5745751 - 03/20/13 05:37 PM

I have a few:
Seeing lunar sunset at Messier and Messier A, the shadow went on for miles and miles.

Glimpsing Mare Orientale.

Copernicus crater under awesome seeing.

Reverend-JT

Reged: 03/20/13

#5747147 - 03/21/13 09:15 AM

Quote:

TV transmissions from the moon during Apollo 8. Two different ones; the earth rise captured by Borman. And then the panorama of the moon passing by as they read the beginning of the book of Genesis; the first creation story; all on Christmas eve.

Just reading this gave me goosebumps...I'm going to like it here.

Steve Daniel

Reged: 06/03/12

Loc: Austin, TX
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: Reverend-JT]
      #5747329 - 03/21/13 10:59 AM

Watching sunset on some mountain peak at the limb. No idea which mountain. Great seeing, and over the 90 or so minutes I watched, I could see the line between night and day move up the mountain, the lit part getting smaller and smaller, until it was gone. Who says the moon is unchanging?

chaoscosmos
sage

Reged: 01/26/13

Loc: Mission Viejo CA
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: Steve Daniel]
      #5814818 - 04/22/13 08:30 AM

More than 20 years ago I was viewing the moon through a small refractor at night when a goose, surely in migration, flying very high up, suddenly and without warning passed right through the center of my view of luna. It was such an unexpected and magical moment that it gave me, well...... goose bumps. It was something that I'll never forget.

Edited by chaoscosmos (04/22/13 08:31 PM)

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/10

Loc: Davison, Michigan
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: chaoscosmos]
      #5815736 - 04/22/13 05:17 PM

Mine was just about a year or two ago as after about 25 years of astronomy I rarely looked at the moon. I always just dismissed every feature as either a crater or a mountain and didn't interest me. Then one night the moon was about 4/5th full and I saw what I thought was a crater with bent rays. I looked it up in Rukl and saw that it was Reiter gamma and not rays at all! Then I looked up this feature online and saw that there is still some contention as for what made it. Been hooked ever since looking for smaller and smaller details in the Lunar 100 and 200(everything that is visible in my aperture.)

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
      #5815798 - 04/22/13 05:36 PM

One night, after some prodding from Pete (azure), the seeing calmed and the Cat's Paw and Sabine C, which I had been pursuing and almost observing for some time, just sat there clear as a bell.

Or, maybe it was the Plato crater challenge.

rookie
Good Night Nurse

Reged: 01/14/06

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: Asbytec]
      #5816088 - 04/22/13 06:44 PM

The LRO images of Alan Shepard's footprints from Apollo 14 that reveal he was only 100 ft from Cone Crater.
Tough Moonwalk

contrailmaker
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/02/09

Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: rookie]
      #5819072 - 04/24/13 02:21 AM

Gosh, I've been a Lunartic for so long. There are just too many to single out just one.

-Lunar eclipses, so many
-Saturn occultation (in plain daylight)
-Seeing sunrise/sunset rays is always fun and memorable
-Every time I see the Alpine Rille
-Finding an elusive volcanic dome

cm

Kraus
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/10/12

Loc: Georgia.
      #5820048 - 04/24/13 03:31 PM

Like Ms. Carol, mine was a sunrise except I don't know what the crater was called.

I saw light just hitting the top edge of a crater. Three white floating specks hovered. As time passed, the specks grew downwards to meet the rest of the rim.

My other memorable moment is when I first employed an ND-25 filter, a yellow-orange filter and a blue filter. Wow! Craters and rills just showed their stuff. I never look at the moon without them. And my 7mm Nagler almost makes it feel as if I'm floating above the surface. I'm that close.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Scotophobe Maryland, USA
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: SusanY]
      #5824059 - 04/26/13 10:40 AM

Quote:

My most memorable sight of the moon was on 20 July 1969, as a little kid, lying on the grass in what was then Salisbury, Rhodesia (now Harare, Zimbabwe), gazing at the moon and thinking, "Two Americans are walking on it right now."

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5824089 - 04/26/13 10:52 AM

This is one of my most memorable lunar sights:

Quincunx Spotted on the Terminator!

Here's another:

Chocolate Donut, Anyone?

Mike

dgg99

Reged: 11/07/04

Loc: Northern Spain
      #5824162 - 04/26/13 11:27 AM Attachment (11 downloads)

Mine is probably an observation of one of the lava flows in central Mare Imbrium. Attached is an image I took that night; it is very similar to the view I had through the eyepiece.

See, for example:
http://www.lpod.org/archive/LPOD-2004-07-19.htm

Silver Bear

Reged: 04/02/13

Loc: Brazos Valley in Texas
      #5833151 - 04/30/13 08:23 PM

Since I am just starting out, my experience is limited. That said...

...this month, I chanced a look at the moon when the terminator was just clearing Sinus Iridium and the Jura Mountains.

Absolutely breath-taking the way the sun cast such long shadows, highlighting the mountain ring and the two promontories at either end.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: Silver Bear]
      #5833214 - 04/30/13 09:04 PM

I never tire of seeing that area of the Moon.

Mike

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
      #5833862 - 05/01/13 08:59 AM

Oh, that's a tough one. Planes going across the full Moon when it's just starting to rise. Bat's to are cool.

First time seeing the Lunar X when I was not looking for it.

First few days of the moon when it has all kinds of weird lights on the rim.

Lastly, first time looking at it through a Binoviewer and saying "WOW"

Bob

jonbosley
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/19/05

Loc: Texas
Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: REC]
      #5834181 - 05/01/13 11:45 AM

Easy one for me, England 20 July 1969,5 year old child gazing at an old fuzzy black and white TV in the school assembly hall as a big spaceman's boot touched the Sea of Tranquility. That evening I asked my long passed mother "where were they"? She pointed up to the moon and said "up there". I have never stopped looking since.
Thank you Apollo 11!

Ben Therrell

Reged: 10/09/12

#5863693 - 05/16/13 02:17 AM

Sunrise on the Liebig Wall (runs into Gassendi) is a very interesting view. Takes about 1.5 hrs to complete.

Carl_12

Reged: 12/05/12

Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: Ben Therrell]
      #5865561 - 05/16/13 06:48 PM

Mine wasn't through a telescope, but on the internet. I was surfing pictures from a NASA surveyor craft, when I started to notice that some rilles are in fact crater chains. I would see a rille looking like they normally do, but then along its path I would note a series of closely placed craters forming the rille shape. I was left with the question of just how many rilles are formed in this way. And can the phenomenon be seen in telescopes?

I'm afraid I took no notes. Anyone interested would need to find the right images by themselves. Sorry about that!

BrooksObs
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/08/12

Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: Carl_12]
      #5866899 - 05/17/13 11:14 AM

The experience that stands out most in my mind was witnessing the virtual total disappearance of the full moon during the total lunar eclipse of December 1963. At around mid eclipse the moon was really only apparent to the unaided eye using averted vision! This was the "darkest" lunar eclipse in more than a century and a number of observers reported that they could not continuously detect the moon throughout the interval of totallity...even having difficulty seeing it telescopically!

BrooksObs

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: BrooksObs]
      #5868345 - 05/17/13 10:43 PM

Reminds me of the black lunar eclipse after Punatubo blew.

Pete

DHurst

Reged: 03/10/06

#5879403 - 05/23/13 12:32 AM

Finally catching the Oriental Basin on edge at the right libration.

mvw

Reged: 03/07/13

Loc: Somewhere in the universe
      #5882153 - 05/24/13 12:07 PM

Being told about a valley within the Alpine Valley and that it's distance across was about 15 miles.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: What is your most memorable Lunar sight? new [Re: mvw]
      #5883334 - 05/25/13 12:09 AM

Well the valley doesn't have a valley within it but a rille/crater chair rather and if I recall its closer to 1.5 miles across than 15.

Pete

mvw

#5883523 - 05/25/13 05:20 AM

I guess I had wrong information at the star party but i did go to your link and I like this one http://www.cloudynights.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=25536&password=...

azure1961p
Postmaster

#5883769 - 05/25/13 10:55 AM

Jim Mosher did a phenomenal job putting that image together. My fav of his.

Glad you like it too.

Pete

mvw

#5883787 - 05/25/13 11:07 AM

A book is due

azure1961p
Postmaster

#5884654 - 05/25/13 09:08 PM

Wow if he assembled a book of say 100 to 200 features on the moon like that- yes it'd be a book and a half.

Pete

mvw

#5885025 - 05/26/13 02:22 AM

Always looking forward to a new book....

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
      #5886349 - 05/26/13 11:02 PM

Oh, yeah- a Mars impact would be spectacular! I don't know the positions of Sun, Earth, and Mars on that date but the distance, lack of much atmosphere on Mars, the presence of orbiters and rovers, etc. would all make this incredible. Too bad it's unlikely to happen.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, star drop, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3805

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics