Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Lunar Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: July 17 - High Energy Activity near Maginus A new [Re: Trblmkr]
      #6004180 - 08/03/13 12:24 AM

Mark, fifty years as an "amature" is a lot of imaging. Maybe not thousands but surely you have some others you'd like to post. I found his post encouraging actually of your skills.

Pete

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Happy Birthday Trblmkr

Reged: 07/24/13

Loc: Central & Southern Maryland
Re: July 17 - High Energy Activity near Maginus A new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6004211 - 08/03/13 12:49 AM

Quote:

Mark, fifty years as an "amature" is a lot of imaging. Maybe not thousands but surely you have some others you'd like to post. I found his post encouraging actually of your skills.

Pete

For the purpose of what as it applies to the subject at hand??

Also I claimed to be an Avid Sky Watcher for 50 Years. For the last 15 I have attempted to equip myself for better viewing.

All of this emphasis on the person rather than the event is curious. What purpose does your interest in the the person serve in understanding what actually occurred?

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
      #6004271 - 08/03/13 02:00 AM

Mark,
Don't get defensive. You've posted a pretty intriguing observation here; maybe people just want to see what other interesting things you may have imaged.
I may be wrong; but I like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt until they make their meaning clear one way or the other.

But, I'm curious if anyone else picked this up. Any response from ALPO or the BAA? They always have people watching the Moon.

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: July 17 - High Energy Activity near Maginus A new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #6005775 - 08/04/13 02:31 AM Attachment (30 downloads)

Petavius first image,
Imaged captured several years ago with a hand held camera at the eyepiece of a 10" f/5.7 dob scope.
Second image, same image as first after treatment with the smudge tool using Gimp2.6.

Frank

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: July 17 - High Energy Activity near Maginus A new [Re: frank5817]
      #6005777 - 08/04/13 02:31 AM Attachment (30 downloads)

Second image

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: July 17 - High Energy Activity near Maginus A new [Re: frank5817]
      #6005946 - 08/04/13 08:16 AM

Frank,

Sorry that's no smudge tool effect. You too have recorded a high energy event . The energy infact required to click a mouse and draw it across an image. Lol very well done my friend.

Pete

sc285

Reged: 06/25/08

Loc: KS
      #6006008 - 08/04/13 10:45 AM

I strongly suggest that you send your observations to:
Dr. Anthony Cook atc@aber.ac.uk
David O. Darling - DOD121252@aol.com
They are both deeply involved with lunar transient phenomena.
They can analyze the photos and put out an alert to their network of observers to see if there have been any other reports or observations of the same event. They maintain a database of LTP and can check to see if there has ever been any other types of events for this particular crater.

Rob

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
      #6006021 - 08/04/13 10:54 AM

Frank, let's see the sequence. Not even close. You need more work on your hoaxing skills.

You know, a guy sent me a pic of some light orbs floating around a grave yard. They were supposed to be proof of some spirits dancing about. Having some experience with DSO image processing and some early 90's software, I was able to show those orbs were cut and pasted into the image. He could have waited until the lightening bugs came out. Processing those out of focus orbs would have been more difficult.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: July 17 - High Energy Activity near Maginus A new [Re: Asbytec]
      #6006176 - 08/04/13 02:37 PM

Let me add that the fact that you have all the tools available to you to be a mass murderer, doesn't mean you are one. (Just to be sure I'm not being obtuse, the fact that a picture can be faked doesn't mean it has been faked.) I see no reason not to accept the observation as presented, in the absence of some reason to doubt it. We're not talking national security here.

Norme,
Slight digression: those "orbs" you spoke of; I've just recently heard of that, in the form of a very trusted acquaintence who took a picture (of her dog) in her back yard at night, and took a second one maybe a second later. The first was clear, but the second was full of "orbs". She was very mystified about this, as am I. I saw the pictures, still in her camera.
I'm absolutely positive she wasn't trying to fake anything. Personally, I'm pretty sure it's just some sort of optical effect with a perfectly ordinary explanation.
Does anyone know what that might be?

azure1961p
Postmaster

#6006548 - 08/04/13 08:08 PM

The orbs are a common digital camera effect some produce others don't. I've always believed it was defocused static charges or some such .

Pete

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

#6006699 - 08/04/13 09:49 PM

Rick, not to stray too far, but orbs do show in photos un-faked. Pete may be onto something, they are probably some optical affect. I'm sure they are not spirits or souls. But the ones I evaluated had a darker background than the scene. There was a clear contrast differential. The pixels surrounding the orb were dark and the square shape of that background was curious.

brianb11213
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: 55.215N 6.554W
      #6007076 - 08/05/13 05:52 AM

Quote:

Slight digression: those "orbs" you spoke of; I've just recently heard of that, in the form of a very trusted acquaintence who took a picture (of her dog) in her back yard at night, and took a second one maybe a second later. The first was clear, but the second was full of "orbs". She was very mystified about this, as am I. I saw the pictures, still in her camera.
I'm absolutely positive she wasn't trying to fake anything. Personally, I'm pretty sure it's just some sort of optical effect with a perfectly ordinary explanation.
Does anyone know what that might be?

There is a fairly well known issue which affects mostly compact cameras with built in flash ... if there is dust or raindrops in the air, or something similar like a cloud of midges, the flash illuminates these & they appear as bright spots ... with the huge depth of field of the short focus small aperture lenses fitted to digital compacts, these can appear fairly bright & sharp.

The in-camera sharpening automatically applied by consumer grade cameras robs energy from the dark side of contrast gradients transferring it to the bright side, causing the dark halo which is sometimes apparent.

The atmospheric contamination causing these "orbs" can be transient so the orbs can be apparent in some frames but not in others, without any change being made to the camera settings or lighting conditions.

Happy Birthday Trblmkr

Re: July 17 - High Energy Activity near Maginus A new [Re: sc285]
      #6008114 - 08/05/13 06:24 PM

Quote:

I strongly suggest that you send your observations to:
Dr. Anthony Cook atc@aber.ac.uk
David O. Darling - DOD121252@aol.com
They are both deeply involved with lunar transient phenomena.
They can analyze the photos and put out an alert to their network of observers to see if there have been any other reports or observations of the same event. They maintain a database of LTP and can check to see if there has ever been any other types of events for this particular crater.

Rob

DONE
Thanks

Happy Birthday Trblmkr

#6008230 - 08/05/13 07:50 PM

Quote:

Mark,
Don't get defensive. You've posted a pretty intriguing observation here; maybe people just want to see what other interesting things you may have imaged.
I may be wrong; but I like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt until they make their meaning clear one way or the other.

But, I'm curious if anyone else picked this up. Any response from ALPO or the BAA? They always have people watching the Moon.

Didn't mean to sound defensive. Its probably the result of the (excessive) time spent on the analysis of this event as it has been my central focus for sometime now.

I to am wondering about similar events, someone must know something or is this Above Top Secret...

ed_turco
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/29/09

Loc: Lincoln, RI
      #6011562 - 08/07/13 01:59 PM

I've seen comments pro and con. I've also seen people acting like kids. When in doubt, it is a better idea to keep quiet and wait for the experts mentioned. It is claimed that they have been told of this and I'd love to hear what they might like to say.

ed_turco

Happy Birthday Trblmkr

Re: July 17 - High Energy Activity near Maginus A new [Re: ed_turco]
      #6014967 - 08/09/13 12:57 AM Attachment (18 downloads)

As another point of reference here is a shot of Maginus the day before. Also includes the surrounding area as well, lots of interesting geometry. Sorry about the blur, hopefully August will bring a better shot..

Edited by Trblmkr (08/09/13 01:47 AM)

Happy Birthday Trblmkr

#6015021 - 08/09/13 01:38 AM Attachment (17 downloads)

Expanded shot south with some very interesting Features. I call it South Park. Wish I could post the the original 4 meg file. The chaff on the features does seem to be there and not a digital artifact. Hard to believe this is all geologically formed. Just Sayin...

Edited by Trblmkr (08/09/13 02:10 AM)

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Re: July 17 - High Energy Activity near Maginus A [Re: Trblmkr]
      #6015163 - 08/09/13 06:11 AM

Trouble, still having trouble identifying the features you mention.

Happy Birthday Trblmkr

Re: July 17 - High Energy Activity near Maginus A [Re: Asbytec]
      #6016156 - 08/09/13 04:11 PM

Its a challenge though not impossible for me to believe all of the dozens if not hundreds of the features present, which appear very diverse in shape, color and most likely chemical composition were all formed and randomly deposited in their current states and orientation/positions in this particular location. I can only qualify this by a relative comparison to geologic formations of known processes. The lunar surface being largely chemically un-sampled likely still holds many secrets of its true origins and the features depicted.

Roberto_sp

Reged: 03/05/13

Re: July 17 - High Energy Activity near Maginus A *DELETED* [Re: pdxmoon]
      #6016266 - 08/09/13 05:37 PM

Post deleted by Roberto_sp

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, star drop, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5712

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics