Observing >> Lunar Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
kraterkid
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/05

Loc: Jacumba, California
"Craters of the Near Side Moon" by John Moore
      #6460207 - 04/11/14 11:41 AM

John Moore has written what appears to be a must have book for lunar observers, "Craters of the Near Side Moon". After viewing his YouTube video, I immediately ordered my copy. When I receive it, I'm going to give it my honest appraisal and post it here and in the "Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media" forum.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
Re: "Craters of the Near Side Moon" by John Moore new [Re: kraterkid]
      #6460649 - 04/11/14 04:01 PM

This looks like a fantastic, must-have book for us lunar observers.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

pdxmoon
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/27/13

Loc: Oregon
Re: "Craters of the Near Side Moon" by John Moore new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #6460721 - 04/11/14 05:00 PM

I bought it too. Can't wait.

desertstars

Reged: 11/05/03

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: "Craters of the Near Side Moon" by John Moore new [Re: pdxmoon]
      #6470333 - 04/16/14 07:27 PM

Money is a bit tight at the moment, so an impulse buy isn't going to happen. But I have a birthday coming up, and unsubtle hints for gift ideas have been dropped.

Looking forward to seeing what you guys think when you get your copies.

cbwerner
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/27/05

Loc: Maidens, VA
Re: "Craters of the Near Side Moon" by John Moore new [Re: desertstars]
      #6470718 - 04/17/14 12:19 AM

I'll look forward to hearing your reviews. It's a bit disappointing that it's only available in paperback though.

kraterkid
Post Laureate

Re: "Craters of the Near Side Moon" by John Moore new [Re: cbwerner]
      #6474635 - 04/18/14 10:38 PM

I just received my copy of John Moore's new lunar atlas "Craters of the Near Side Moon" self published by CreateSpace. Before I even opened the book, I was impressed by its weight (coming in at around 3.5 lbs.) and the sheer number of pages (714). Although it has a modest 7" x 10" page size, it has a well organized and clean page presentation.

The forward text includes a succinct illustrated outline of the three major phases of crater formation and a discussion of lunar history with respect to impact size and frequency. There is a nice photographic near side map that shows the lunar coordinate system grid and a list of lunar statistics related to its orbital and physical properties. Full page quadrant maps are clearly labeled with names of the major features as well as the positions and names of lunar landing missions. The adjacent page is a list of the major quadrant features. To my surprise and delight, John has included an East-West Limbs and Far Side map as well as North and South Polar maps near and far side. Again these are clearly labeled with major features and coordinate grid. These are followed by a lunar phase chart with a calendrical list of all the quarters by date, from 2014 to 2018 including eclipses.

The body of the atlas are the named craters listed in alphabetical order. The position and size of the crater is prominently listed. The black and white Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera (LROC) photographs consist of the view from Earth's perspective, the area overview showing the position and nomenclature of the immediate region, and an overhead view. There is also a small graphic of the full Moon with an little square that gives you a way to instantly determine the general location of the crater. The printing resolution is very good, and it's obvious that John spent many hours adjusting the image parameters so they would be consistent throughout the book. Each page also has a chart that lists the longitude and latitude positions and sizes of the sub craters. There is even a small blank area set aside for the reader to jot notes about the crater. The descriptive text is clearly written, containing a brief discussion of the attributes and age of the crater along with lunar geological processes that may have influenced its morphology. John often mentions aspects that make the crater interesting to the visual observer, something many will find useful at the eyepiece.

The end of the atlas contains photographs and lists including positions of other major lunar features such as crater chains, mountains, rilles, marshes, maria, lakes, capes and valleys. Notably absent was a list of domes though John mentions these in the text and the very extensive index.

It is quite apparent from the quality and quantity of its images, text and data, that John Moore has produced an atlas that will be a valuable resource for selenology and a "must-have" for anyone who loves the Moon.

Edited by kraterkid (04/18/14 11:35 PM)

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #6474653 - 04/18/14 10:46 PM

This will certainly be my next astronomy book purchase. Thank you for the heads up.

Pete

kraterkid
Post Laureate

Re: "Craters of the Near Side Moon" by John Moore new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6474726 - 04/18/14 11:42 PM

Thanks Pete. I know you'll love this one. John put his heart and soul into this monumental tome, it is quite evident throughout.

pdxmoon
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/27/13

Loc: Oregon
      #6474888 - 04/19/14 02:18 AM

I've also received mine, and could not be more delighted. I look forward to lots of use. This is the atlas I've been dreaming of!

kraterkid
Post Laureate

Re: "Craters of the Near Side Moon" by John Moore new [Re: pdxmoon]
      #6475305 - 04/19/14 11:16 AM

My feelings exactly Thom!

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/25/10

Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada
      #6476158 - 04/19/14 07:38 PM

It does look like a great book, gonna have to save up for it now

desertstars

Re: "Craters of the Near Side Moon" by John Moore new [Re: cbwerner]
      #6479379 - 04/21/14 03:33 PM

Quote:

I'll look forward to hearing your reviews. It's a bit disappointing that it's only available in paperback though.

That's pretty standard for self-published work, unfortunately. Very few of the outlets available to independent authors will do hardcover, and those that offer the service charge an arm and a leg for it. If you design the book just so, you can publish through CreateSpace with no up-front costs - though I'd be willing to bet Mr. Moore used some of the optional services for this one. (A bit less straightforward than publishing a novel. )

desertstars

#6479383 - 04/21/14 03:34 PM

Quote:

I just received my copy of John Moore's new lunar atlas "Craters of the Near Side Moon" self published by CreateSpace. Before I even opened the book, I was impressed by its weight (coming in at around 3.5 lbs.) and the sheer number of pages (714). Although it has a modest 7" x 10" page size, it has a well organized and clean page presentation.

The forward text includes a succinct illustrated outline of the three major phases of crater formation and a discussion of lunar history with respect to impact size and frequency. There is a nice photographic near side map that shows the lunar coordinate system grid and a list of lunar statistics related to its orbital and physical properties. Full page quadrant maps are clearly labeled with names of the major features as well as the positions and names of lunar landing missions. The adjacent page is a list of the major quadrant features. To my surprise and delight, John has included an East-West Limbs and Far Side map as well as North and South Polar maps near and far side. Again these are clearly labeled with major features and coordinate grid. These are followed by a lunar phase chart with a calendrical list of all the quarters by date, from 2014 to 2018 including eclipses.

The body of the atlas are the named craters listed in alphabetical order. The position and size of the crater is prominently listed. The black and white Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera (LROC) photographs consist of the view from Earth's perspective, the area overview showing the position and nomenclature of the immediate region, and an overhead view. There is also a small graphic of the full Moon with an little square that gives you a way to instantly determine the general location of the crater. The printing resolution is very good, and it's obvious that John spent many hours adjusting the image parameters so they would be consistent throughout the book. Each page also has a chart that lists the longitude and latitude positions and sizes of the sub craters. There is even a small blank area set aside for the reader to jot notes about the crater. The descriptive text is clearly written, containing a brief discussion of the attributes and age of the crater along with lunar geological processes that may have influenced its morphology. John often mentions aspects that make the crater interesting to the visual observer, something many will find useful at the eyepiece.

The end of the atlas contains photographs and lists including positions of other major lunar features such as crater chains, mountains, rilles, marshes, maria, lakes, capes and valleys. Notably absent was a list of domes though John mentions these in the text and the very extensive index.

It is quite apparent from the quality and quantity of its images, text and data, that John Moore has produced an atlas that will be a valuable resource for selenology and a "must-have" for anyone who loves the Moon.

Okay, if you're that pleased with it, I'm sold!

genethethird
sage

Reged: 01/05/10

Loc: NC
      #6479394 - 04/21/14 03:40 PM

This is the one I think I've been waiting for. Ordered!

NorthWolf
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/23/09

Loc: Eastern Canada
Re: "Craters of the Near Side Moon" by John Moore new [Re: genethethird]
      #6479899 - 04/21/14 08:26 PM

Very nice, will buy a copy someday!

MrJim

Reged: 08/24/09

Loc: Mansfield, Texas
Re: "Craters of the Near Side Moon" by John Moore new [Re: NorthWolf]
      #6488852 - 04/25/14 09:53 PM

I just watched the You Tube and immediately ordered the book. It looks magnificent!

kraterkid
Post Laureate

Re: "Craters of the Near Side Moon" by John Moore new [Re: MrJim]
      #6489713 - 04/26/14 11:55 AM

You're going to love this atlas Jim, John has put an amazing amount of work into this massive tome!

MrJim

Reged: 08/24/09

Loc: Mansfield, Texas
      #6516668 - 05/09/14 08:30 PM

You are right Rich, this is a beautiful volume!

genethethird
sage

Re: "Craters of the Near Side Moon" by John Moore new [Re: MrJim]
      #6517025 - 05/10/14 12:33 AM

Yep, it certainly is.

kraterkid
Post Laureate

#6517876 - 05/10/14 02:49 PM

Jim and Gene, I knew you guys would love this one. Sometimes I'll be looking up a crater and find myself caught up in reading about another that is listed on a facing page, his descriptions are so very interesting. I really like the way John draws attention to aspects that are observable with amateur telescopes.

I am concerned that some will have to wait as CreateSpace Amazon prints new editions, I understand that the book is no longer listed as in print by Amazon.com and I have not heard about what length of wait time you may have if you are looking to purchase a copy. Any updates would be nice to hear about.

kraterkid
Post Laureate

#6518278 - 05/10/14 08:35 PM

Well, since this atlas is a CreateSpace Amazon published book and is printed per the demand, it has now been printed and appears on Amazon Books as available, so no worries about being able to purchase a copy.

jonbosley
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/19/05

Loc: Texas
      #6538236 - 05/21/14 12:33 PM

A book! I remember those.

desertstars

#6538442 - 05/21/14 02:30 PM

Quote:

I am concerned that some will have to wait as CreateSpace Amazon prints new editions, I understand that the book is no longer listed as in print by Amazon.com and I have not heard about what length of wait time you may have if you are looking to purchase a copy. Any updates would be nice to hear about.

POD doesn't work that way. There's never a stock of books, as they are literally printed as needed. The oddity with the Amazon listing has two probable explanations: an error or glitch in the Amazon site, or the author submitted updated manuscript files that needed to go through the approval process. The latter seems the more likely of the two. If he decides to correct an error or add a crater, the book might be unavailable for the day or two it takes the system to process the files.

kraterkid
Post Laureate

#6539728 - 05/22/14 11:52 AM

Thanks Tom! So it really is Print On Demand.

desertstars

#6539979 - 05/22/14 02:41 PM

Quite literally. If someone hits it big and their book is selling hundreds of copies a day, CreateSpace might print a pile in anticipation of future sales, but that rarely ever happens.

genethethird
sage

#6540152 - 05/22/14 04:38 PM

Looking over my copy, I saw on the back page that it was printed two days before I received it. Fresh off the press!

Alfonso

Reged: 12/31/11

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
      #6543452 - 05/24/14 01:18 PM

I purchased online my copy yesterday, 23 May, from good ol' Barnes n Noble. I can't wait to get it and with my new Vixen a70lf go moon crater hunting. It's gonna be fun.

regards
Alfonso

RobertED
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/11/03

Loc: Smithfield, RI
Re: "Craters of the Near Side Moon" by John Moore new [Re: Alfonso]
      #6544240 - 05/24/14 11:09 PM

I ordered mine just now....5/24/14 at 10pm. I'm not sure what to expect at this point!!! Will give it a good inspection when it arrives! I really don't think another "Moon Book" is a bad thing for my collection!!!!

Doc Willie
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/31/10

Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Re: "Craters of the Near Side Moon" by John Moore new [Re: RobertED]
      #6548831 - 05/27/14 06:29 PM

Got mine. As good as described above.

I want Volume II: "Features of the Near Side Moon."

Edited by Doc Willie (05/28/14 04:32 PM)

RobertED
Post Laureate

Re: "Craters of the Near Side Moon" by John Moore new [Re: Doc Willie]
      #6554178 - 05/30/14 05:20 PM

Got mine today (Fri. 5-30-14). ....one day before Amazon's estimated delivery date!! Cool! I'm pretty happy with it...nice big and heavy book! Photos are fine....and everything here is printed straight and on an 'even keel!' (Has a May 24, 2014 'Made on' date!).

kraterkid
Post Laureate

#6554598 - 05/30/14 10:17 PM

Quote " I want Volume II: "Features of the Near Side Moon." "
Doc, that sounds like a great follow on edition to this wonderful atlas.

Robert, I thought you'd enjoy this one.

RobertED
Post Laureate

#6556283 - 05/31/14 10:40 PM

Absolutely!!!.....I could use a volume II, as well!!!!!

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
      #6558844 - 06/02/14 11:03 AM

I've noticed that a LOT of libration-area craters are missing. There is no "the making of" or "this was my plan" section in the book, so I'm not sure if that was intentional or not. Does anyone have some insight into this?

desertstars

#6561568 - 06/03/14 05:02 PM

Quote:

I purchased online my copy yesterday, 23 May, from good ol' Barnes n Noble. I can't wait to get it and with my new Vixen a70lf go moon crater hunting. It's gonna be fun.

regards
Alfonso

How quickly did Barnes & Noble get your copy to you?

Alfonso

Reged: 12/31/11

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
      #6562301 - 06/04/14 12:33 AM

Thomas,
I received my copy yesterday, Monday 2 Jun. Earlier this evening I took my Vixen a70lf and the book out for some moon exploration and had a blast. The book was very useful and informative.
As I'm sure most of you know some of these craters have rims that are 200-500 meters high !!!! Some have peaks in the center that are miles high !!!!
Some of these craters are miles deep !!!!
I was looking at Theophilus, Cyrillus and Catharina and checking the book and found some interesting things about them. This book is really cool. The craters are listed alphabetically and there is also a listing based on 4 quadrants: NE, NW, SE and SW. So if you see a crater and want to know the name and other stuff just find it on the quadrant map and then look it up when you find the name.
This book will make exploring the moon even more fun. Also as you guys probably know some of these craters are tens of miles wide !!!!
The high today was about 107 f yet after sunset the sky was steady and seeing was okay. I also took out my Explore Scientific AR102 and checked out some doubles, Mars and Jupiter. Saturn was lovely and moved across the fov with a steady march.
Tomorrow night and for the next few days, according to weather.com, the skies should be clear . . . and the temps around 110 f. That's okay . . . I'll take out my AR102 and check out more of the moon.
This is a wonderful book and urge all moon explorers to get a copy. You'll love it. It'll occupy a regular place next to your telescope, along with your eyepieces.

regards
Alfonso

desertstars

#6562665 - 06/04/14 08:55 AM

Thanks!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Nyctophobia, Maryland, USA
      #6566570 - 06/06/14 08:08 AM

I intend to order one.

Maybe John's next book should be exclusively about non-crater features, such as rilles, domes and rupes. I'd also like to see a separate volume showing claire obscure, but maybe that's an acquired taste.

Mike

dianen

Reged: 01/07/14

Loc: Arizona
Re: "Craters of the Near Side Moon" by John Moore new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #6597375 - 06/23/14 12:31 PM

Hi. I ordered the book from Amazon on June 12, and they still haven't shipped. They keep sending email asking for my approval to postpone shipping (which I give). If the book is print-on-demand, this isn't making any sense. Any ideas?? Thanks.

desertstars

Re: "Craters of the Near Side Moon" by John Moore new [Re: dianen]
      #6597721 - 06/23/14 03:41 PM

Only thing I can think of is the author has uploaded new files to the printer, and they're being reviewed. That can take a few days. How long has this been going on?

dianen

#6598061 - 06/23/14 07:01 PM

Thomas, I ordered on June 12, so that's about 2 weeks.

Diane

desertstars

#6598331 - 06/23/14 09:35 PM

Quote:

Thomas, I ordered on June 12, so that's about 2 weeks.

Diane

D'oh! Sorry, you did say that in the first post, didn't you?

Those notices are, I believe, an automated system. I'd contact Amazon's customer service and ask them to check. The system might have a glitch.

dianen

#6598628 - 06/24/14 01:32 AM

LOL, Thomas. I did contact them thru a live chat. All the rep could tell me was "I can see here that the book needs an approval or the stocks that we have needs an approval" and "I can see here that the problem is in the inventory of the item and there's no exact reason provided." (Those are exact quotes.) Definitely something glitchy in their system. The rep said she'd stay on top of it, though, so we'll see what happens.

desertstars

#6599098 - 06/24/14 11:28 AM

For my books "needs approval" means I changed something and they haven't processed the change in the manuscript file. Apparently the author of this book hasn't changed the book, just the product description as it exists with the printer. Why this would lead the book to require approval is a mystery to me. In any case, going by my own experiences again, that approval process normally takes only a couple of days at most. I'd say Amazon has something screwed up, for sure. Hope they resolve it quickly!

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/25/10

Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada
      #6599104 - 06/24/14 11:31 AM

It took several months when I ordered "Mapping and Naming the Moon". If its not mainstream then im guessing it has to jump lots of hoops and not kept on hand.

ngc2289
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/13/05

Loc: Corpus Christi, TX.
      #6599827 - 06/24/14 05:28 PM

I received my copy last week after a 12 day wait. So the book will come. I am thinking that the publisher waits until they get a minimum number ordered then print a batch. But I have to say the book is well worth the wait!!

dianen

Re: "Craters of the Near Side Moon" by John Moore new [Re: ngc2289]
      #6607771 - 06/29/14 04:45 PM

Well, whatever the cause of the delay, the book finally arrived (a 17-day wait) on my doorstep -- a Sunday UPS delivery! I never even knew there was such a thing. Mike, your explanation that the publisher waits for a minimum number of orders sounds plausible, but on the other hand, sort of messes up the definition of "print on demand." Anyway, it's an entrancing book. Don't you wish it could be used as a hiking guide? Someday...

desertstars

#6608285 - 06/29/14 10:16 PM

They don't wait for a minimum number of orders, unless the people at CreateSpace have flat out lied to me(more than once). Paperback sales of my books are so sporadic that if this were, indeed, the practice, no one would have received a paperback of anything I've published yet.

Glad Amazon finally got their act together and delivered the book. My own budget has not yet allowed me to place an order. Getting a bit envious here in Tucson.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, star drop, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3205

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics