Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: EQ-6 Pro/Atlas new [Re: alpal]
      #3578464 - 01/23/10 09:14 AM

Quote:

I think you can buy the latest board & retrofit it.
If not a potentiometer or resistor would be easy to add
in series.

You probably could...but go to that trouble and expense for a _polar scope illuminator_? No this ol' boy. If'n I don't like the illumination level of the polar scope, I find it pretty derned easy to shine a variable brightness flashlight obliquely down the objective end of the polar scope and make everything More Better Gooder.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: EQ-6 Pro/Atlas new [Re: alpal]
      #3578866 - 01/23/10 01:11 PM

I'm not sure why so many folks are spun up about this polar scope business in any case. The best it can do is a mediocre alignment, so you're doing drift, anyway. In fact, I just pulled a polar scope from a Vixen mount to make a handy cable-way.

-RIch

John Fitzgerald
In Focus

Reged: 01/04/04

Loc: AR
Re: EQ-6 Pro/Atlas new [Re: Starhawk]
      #3578875 - 01/23/10 01:16 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure why so many folks are spun up about this polar scope business in any case. The best it can do is a mediocre alignment, so you're doing drift, anyway. In fact, I just pulled a polar scope from a Vixen mount to make a handy cable-way.

-RIch

On the contrary, I have achieved a VERY good polar alignment using only the polar scope on my Atlas mount.

Skylook123
Postmaster

Reged: 04/30/05

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: EQ-6 Pro/Atlas new [Re: John Fitzgerald]
      #3579130 - 01/23/10 03:43 PM

Me, too. With a careful polar alignment at night on my Atlas, I've kept the Sun centered in a 1 degree FOV eyepiece the next day for four hours with barely discernable drift.

The trick for me is to make sure the polar scope is truly collimated to the optical axis of the mount, and the scope is collimated to the mount axis as well (cone error elimination).

m2434
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/01/09

Loc: on the road
Re: EQ-6 Pro/Atlas new [Re: Skylook123]
      #3579303 - 01/23/10 05:21 PM

Re: buying new board - probably wouldn't bother. Cheaper options seem to work fine.

Re: polar alignment - the polar scope is nice and quick and if you spend some time calibrating it on say, a cloudy night, it can be quite accurate. If I am imaging < 10 minute subs I don't see any reason to drift align. The polar scope works just fine, why waste the time?

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: EQ-6 Pro/Atlas new [Re: rmollise]
      #3580911 - 01/24/10 12:49 PM Attachment (68 downloads)

Longer focal length, higher resolution cameras, long image sequences- these will show what's wrong with a polar scope alignment.

And it's not like I haven't spent time on this: I even made a special polar alignment scope alignment target to get precise centering of the polar alignment scope with the telescope axis. For those of you inclined to polar alignment scopes, I have included it here.

But this business about not being quite happy with the alignment scope's LED seems a bit like not being totally happy with the rear window washer on your car- if it works perfectly, it doesn't really work that well, anyway.

-Rich

Zoeff
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/10/09

Loc: Haarlem, Netherlands
Re: EQ-6 Pro/Atlas new [Re: guyroch]
      #3581965 - 01/24/10 09:18 PM

Quote:

On the NEQ6...

Setup Menu -> Handset settings -> PolarScope LED

Ah, THERE it is! Thanks!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
17 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6993

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics