Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
astrokido
space wanderer

Reged: 06/09/08

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Is self polar alignment possible? new [Re: tim53]
      #3544562 - 01/06/10 11:43 PM

It might be easier to build a robot that would carry out all the astro gear, setup it up, collimate the scopes, and align the mount for you. Then have it point to your AP targets and brew some hot coffee.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ColoHank
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/07

Loc: western Colorado
      #3544619 - 01/07/10 12:11 AM

Quote:

I wonder how many amateurs alive today have ever used setting circles?

Here's one amateur who uses setting circles, and it was very much a matter of choice. Not very many of today's new automated mounts are even equipped with decent setting circles to back up those bulky battery packs, loose connections, whacked-out drive-trains, and fried circuit boards.

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: Is self polar alignment possible? new [Re: astrokido]
      #3544938 - 01/07/10 07:58 AM

It might be easier to build a robot that would carry out all the astro gear, setup it up, collimate the scopes, and align the mount for you. Then have it point to your AP targets and brew some hot coffee.

I will stick with a spyglass and compass. On second thought forget those newfangled compass thingies. Setting circles are for sissies, I just use my hand drawn sky charts.

gnowellsct
Postmaster

Reged: 06/24/09

#3545362 - 01/07/10 12:05 PM

Quote:

I wonder how many amateurs alive today have ever used setting circles?
-Tim.

More than one might think at first glance, because the Super Polaris, the Vixen DX and GP, and the Losmandy series all come with setting circles. I'm really glad I have them even though I seldom use them. Not only are they backup against computer failure but they can be used to calibrate electronic equipment or at least do a "sanity check" to see if it is working.

But in another ten years I don't think there will be any more analog circles out there, except for the used equipment knocking around. They are like slide rules.

greg n

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Is self polar alignment possible? new [Re: Stew57]
      #3564036 - 01/16/10 09:45 AM

If you did this, everything in the image would swirl, anyway, so it wouldn't be much more useful that plain alt-az. Your polar alignment really needs to be on target for good photography.

The Meade LS really isn't even as close to this the CGEM is since it is Alt-az, so the only photography you will be doing is of planets.

-Rich

Quote:

My idea was the alt az would be adjusted on the fly by the built in camera as the camera monitored drift. Would be a seperate system from the goto/tracking system. Thinking a setup close to polar align wouldn't require a major correction for alignment. An out of range error code would alert one to setup a little better at startup.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
23 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1639

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics