Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
HunterofPhotons
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/26/08

Loc: Rhode Island, USA
Re: How cold is too cold new [Re: coopfore1]
      #3553850 - 01/11/10 11:16 AM

Quote:

... I am using a cigar lighter plug maybe thats the problem? I still have ra problem.....

Cigar lighter plugs don't make great contact even in the best of times. If you examine one, you'll find that areas of contact are small, the springs that pressure the metal contacts are weak, and any bit of corrosion on the contact points will interfere with the flow of current.
On any new piece of equipment that I get, I remove the cigar lighter connectors and replace them with connectors that make solid connections.

dan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
Re: How cold is too cold new [Re: HunterofPhotons]
      #3553990 - 01/11/10 12:16 PM

My CGEM has been well behaved so far down to 4deg F. Only the scrolling display on the hand controller has been a problem. It's only used to show info on an object. I've got a dew strip on its back but I may need more.

coopfore1

Reged: 11/23/05

Loc: il
Re: How cold is too cold new [Re: mich_al]
      #3554955 - 01/11/10 08:17 PM

My cgem is working once again. I took off the front polar cap. Then directed some warm heat from a hair dryer on low setting onto the mount housing for a few minutes. now the mount seems to work ok. It is about 30 degrees warmer here today. So I still really do not know what the problem was. Connectors,cold hc,moisture in the motor,uneven power,cigar plug??? I am thinking Rod was probably correct it was aweful cold so my battery was not working properly. Anyhow Thank You to everyone who helped with suggestions. Gary

gnowellsct
Postmaster

Reged: 06/24/09

#3555377 - 01/11/10 11:41 PM

A common problem is that the worm gear begins to bind at cold temperatures. It may need to be adjusted for a looser setting on a go-to mount. If the worm gear is binding you may get stalling which might look like a power problem.

Heating the hand controller is critical. I'm sure the circuit boards work but the LCD display will not, and if the LCD display is not working than nothing else is.

The AP mounts that are used at -75 F are not "out of the box." They have been adjusted and special lubricants are used.

One of the reasons why I prefer my two stepper mounts to go-to is that they are so nearly as I can tell impervious to cold, and demand no adjustments whatsoever from summer time to dead of winter. The coldest I go out is about -10F after that it ceases to be fun.

regards
Greg N

Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Re: How cold is too cold new [Re: gnowellsct]
      #3555429 - 01/12/10 12:08 AM

Another thing I noticed is that the focusing on my C9.25 is really sluggish at 21 degrees. I think the grease must get sticky or something because when I stop turning the focus knob the mirror is still slowly moving for a second or two afterwards. Makes it very hard to find exact focus.

Darenwh
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/11/06

Loc: Covington, GA
      #3555660 - 01/12/10 07:22 AM

Quote:

anyone have an idea on how to keep mounts warm?

I'm all for moving to Maui or the Big Island of Hawaii as a solution. Sure, up on top of the mountains it can get cold at night but you can all ways observe from closer to sea level and still have better skies than 90% of the continental US. Great thing is it takes care of the cold for both the mount and you. Yes, you may need a light to medium weight coat, unless your my wife, she still needs a snow suit, but over all you will be comfortable.

nik hodges
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/20/07

Loc: UK
      #3555884 - 01/12/10 10:32 AM

Quote:

The AP mounts that are used at -75 F are not "out of the box." They have been adjusted and special lubricants are used.

i fact they have no lubricants, apart from that as far as i am aware they are stock mounts

Takman
sage

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: Maple, ON - Canada
      #3557852 - 01/13/10 09:42 AM

I find that once I reach sub-zero (Celsius) temperatures, my CG-5 stutters at times. It tracks without a problem.

coopfore1

Re: How cold is too cold new [Re: Lane]
      #3558294 - 01/13/10 01:39 PM

At -12 f saturday night I was afraid to use my focuser. I could barely turn it. The cgem was not working properly either. Think the battery was way to cold. Gary

coopfore1

#3560148 - 01/14/10 10:39 AM Attachment (58 downloads)

How cold is too cold ? -60c

rob0260

Reged: 01/31/09

Loc: Teulon, Mb., Canada
      #3560233 - 01/14/10 11:13 AM

I live in central Canada and my LXD75 has seen -30c temps with no problem. I don't have to worry about batteries because I have power in my observatory and a good power supply. I don't usually observe any colder than that. I have set my max slew rate back a notch and that seems to help. The only issue is the display on the hand controller has to be looked at using a slighty differnt angle in order to be able to read it. Hot shots in my gloves and warm clothes and I'm good to go.

coopfore1

Re: How cold is too cold new [Re: rob0260]
      #3560874 - 01/14/10 04:30 PM

Rob0260 What are you using for a power supply

gnowellsct
Postmaster

Reged: 06/24/09

Re: How cold is too cold new [Re: nik hodges]
      #3561114 - 01/14/10 07:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

i fact they have no lubricants, apart from that as far as i am aware they are stock mounts

Well I've read otherwise, but it has been awhile. A mount without lubricant is not stock. The worm gear does need a non-standard adjustment if memory serves. (adjustments for temps around 0 F are found at the end of the instructions)

regards
greg n

coopfore1

#3561294 - 01/14/10 08:41 PM

The photo above is the astro physics mount in question. It has no lube and is made out of a special aircraft aluminum...

scope dog
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/26/04

Loc: USA
      #3561578 - 01/14/10 11:07 PM

Really neat. I recall reading about that years ago, I think in S&T.
My only question is, What kind of dew heater is used, like a 30,000 watt . Just joking. I recall reading there were 2 AP1200 mounts place there, is this system is still being used? I forget the type of telescope I want to guess a C14.

Brian L
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/17/08

Loc: The garden paradise of Pittsbu...
Re: How cold is too cold new [Re: denjo]
      #3561581 - 01/14/10 11:08 PM

Quote:

When does your mount start getting unhappy with the cold?

Long after I do!

vkhastro1
sage

Reged: 08/21/05

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: How cold is too cold new [Re: Brian L]
      #3561616 - 01/14/10 11:31 PM

My cold record was for photographing Comet Hale-Bopp in the midwinter of 1997. The comet was in Cygnus. I set up a C8
with a power pack and various telephoto lens ranging from
24mm to 200mm with my Pentax ME camera.
I spent 4 hours in total. The temperature was -40 degrees C which equals -40 degrees F. It was so cold that the trees
were snapping like twigs. All the equipment quickly became
covered in a heavy white blanket - called hoarfrost.
The telescope and photography system worked fine but my health didn't fair as well. I had frost bite in the tips
of my fingers on both hands. I tried to get to sleep after
returning home and couldn't - the burning in my finger tips was unbelieveable. I went to the hospital and was
diagnosed with frostbite. My fingertips were numb for over
one month and blisters kept appearing for almost 6 weeks!
One learns fast from an experience like that - no observing below -10 degrees C.

bdawg6381
sage

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: Blacksburg, VA
Re: How cold is too cold new [Re: Darenwh]
      #3562285 - 01/15/10 11:06 AM

Quote:

Yes, you may need a light to medium weight coat, unless your my wife, she still needs a snow suit, but over all you will be comfortable.

HA! I know this feeling... I can be in shorts and she'll have a sweater on - I think this is her main gripe with observing - needless to say, she's not out there with me that often and I don't have enough funds for the duct tape/hand warmers it would take to keep her out there (now that I think about it even if I did she would have to stand far away to not mess up my seeing ).

Kaizu
sage

Reged: 08/17/07

Loc: Finland
Re: How cold is too cold new [Re: bdawg6381]
      #3562338 - 01/15/10 11:34 AM

Some times I've said something wrong and spent the next night out. I have to be very carefull if there is -40C out.
About the electronics, the "toy electronics" is normally specified between 0C to 55C. Some cameras may work at -10C.
Normally the electronics own heat keeps them in the operating area but have you tried to start them if they have been long out?

Kaizu

mountain monk
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/06/09

Loc: Grand Teton National Park
Re: How cold is too cold new [Re: Kaizu]
      #3562843 - 01/15/10 03:45 PM

OK, Coopfore1, you win! My hat is off (briefly) to anyone observing in those conditions. I can observe at -30 (in NW Wyoming), but it is not fun. -10 is about my limit for fun. I would imagine that the person observing at the site in your photograph is working for damn good wages!

mm

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
20 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3787

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics