Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
coopfore1

Reged: 11/23/05

Loc: il
Re: How cold is too cold new [Re: mountain monk]
      #3563054 - 01/15/10 05:35 PM

Well it is nothing to do with me. I believe it is a French team in antartica. And I am not taking my hat off LOL. You can see more photos and even a short video. It is all on the astro physics site. Pretty interesting go check it out...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
denjo
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/25/05

Re: How cold is too cold new [Re: coopfore1]
      #3563662 - 01/16/10 12:06 AM Attachment (58 downloads)

Coopfore1, looks like it was cold on this night.

denjo

coopfore1

Re: How cold is too cold new [Re: denjo]
      #3567046 - 01/17/10 07:48 PM

yea

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Reged: 01/22/08

Loc: Under the clouds!
Re: How cold is too cold new [Re: denjo]
      #3567052 - 01/17/10 07:50 PM

Quote:

Coopfore1, looks like it was cold on this night.

denjo

Wow! That ice must certainly add weight to your setup.

coopfore1

Re: How cold is too cold new [Re: guyroch]
      #3578168 - 01/23/10 01:43 AM

I bet it did add weight. Funny thing I was not using the newt that night . We were using the sct in the background. Probably a good thing . I am sure the ice had thrown the balance way off....

rob0260

Reged: 01/31/09

Loc: Teulon, Mb., Canada
      #3578230 - 01/23/10 03:09 AM

Gary, I am using the Meade Universal AC power supply, model 07577 and it supplies 5 amps. More than enough power for the lxd75.

wmyers

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: High Point, NC
Re: How cold is too cold new [Re: rob0260]
      #3581982 - 01/24/10 09:29 PM

I've used my Atlas EQ-G several evenings when the temps were between 5 and 10 deg F. The mount and hand controller both worked flawlessly.

coopfore1

Re: How cold is too cold new [Re: rob0260]
      #3582256 - 01/25/10 12:06 AM

Quote:

Gary, I am using the Meade Universal AC power supply, model 07577 and it supplies 5 amps. More than enough power for the lxd75.

Rob thanks I was using a 3 amp power supply. I think the cgem needs like 2.5 amps to run correctly, So the 3 amp probably was not enough in -10 degree f to keep the correct voltage coming thru cleanly.

gnowellsct
Postmaster

Reged: 06/24/09

Re: How cold is too cold new [Re: vkhastro1]
      #3582298 - 01/25/10 12:57 AM

Quote:

I went to the hospital and was
diagnosed with frostbite. My fingertips were numb for over
one month and blisters kept appearing for almost 6 weeks!
One learns fast from an experience like that - no observing below -10 degrees C.

-40F is too cold. At that temp you're really struggling to survive. To put a limit at -10C (around 14F) is however a bit too far in the other direction. I consider my limit -10F/-20C and have been OK with that. But it requires very heavy boots, two pairs of socks, ski pants or ski bib over the jeans, merino wool long sleeve shirt, an insulating vest, then a very heavy duty coat: I chose a Wiggy's over the Canada Goose models that are used in the antarctic. Down wears out over time.

I was so warm at 6F that I had my coat unzipped. When the wind picked up a little later I zipped it up. I've got a face guard but don't often have to use it.

I guess if you've had frostbite you stay sensitive to cold in the places that were affected so maybe it's a good idea not to take chances, but 14F (-10C) is pretty much standard procedure for me.

We have a club member who writes for sky and tel and goes out in temperatures that are colder than what I tolerate, but she's near her house, and can pop in and out.

regards
Greg N

Scott99
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: New England
Re: How cold is too cold new [Re: gnowellsct]
      #3582864 - 01/25/10 11:41 AM

Quote:

We have a club member who writes for sky and tel and goes out in temperatures that are colder than what I tolerate, but she's near her house, and can pop in and out.

regards
Greg N

that is the key for me, I'll go out in my yard down to about 0, but it's easy when you can leisurely "suit up" in your warm house, set up the equipment and run inside while it cools down.

at remote site I've never gone when it's below the upper teens. But we usually get high winds on the very cold clear nights. Even if it's warm I'm not going to set up in 20+ mph winds, everything is blurry.

If there's no wind it's not hard to stay warm at very cold temps if you layer up.

The Mars opposition is getting me out there, I expect I'll be pushing my lower limit in the next 5-6 weeks to see it while it's big, fortunately it's visible from my patio

coopfore1

Re: How cold is too cold new [Re: Scott99]
      #3590733 - 01/29/10 02:05 AM

Well, I have decided to stay on the + side of the zero. Too much trouble for an old guy like me, to be out below 0 degrees. + 15 or 20f is going to be my new limit..LOL

Scott99
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: New England
      #3592320 - 01/29/10 08:17 PM

Ahhhhh, mostly clear forecast for tonight! Any takers???

>>Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 3. Wind chill values as low as -12. Breezy, with a west wind between 11 and 21 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph.

Dwight J
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/14/09

Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Re: How cold is too cold new [Re: Scott99]
      #3592363 - 01/29/10 08:35 PM

I live in Southern Alberta (lat 49 deg, 42 min N) and used to go out regardless of temp when I was much younger. Now I limit myself to about - 10 C as I can't tolerate colder than that for long. I used to use a Super C8 with a drive corrector connected to the car battery and had no troubles up to - 30. Then I had to sit in the car and warm up after just setting up. It just became more and more difficult to get out the warm car to observe or photograph, especially manually guiding. Electric socks and gloves helped a little. My later goto mounts like Lxd 55 and EQ6 had handcontroller issues about -15 C - a chemical handwarmer helped them. In the colder weather now I spend in a warm shed imaging with the mount in the cold. I found that a dew zapper wrapped around the motors really helped.

coopfore1

Re: How cold is too cold new [Re: Dwight J]
      #3594756 - 01/31/10 01:13 AM

Clear here right now. I'm not going out. Call me what you will. LOL... Low of 5 to 10. Just built a fire in the old wood stove.ahhh

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
25 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3805

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics