Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/23/05

Loc: Virginia
Re: Have or had a Gitzo GT 3531 LS or similar? new [Re: Wes James]
      #3599448 - 02/02/10 08:16 AM

Yup, good choice Jack. I think you are likely to be very happy with it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Scruffy

Reged: 01/23/10

Loc: Arkansas
Re: Have or had a Gitzo GT 3531 LS or similar? new [Re: Wes James]
      #3599854 - 02/02/10 12:12 PM

Thanks Wes and Mac

I am looking at the Case Tec site. How do you specify the foam interior? The pelicans are pricey but I really don't want to be carrying around $1,000 worth of glass in a shoe box.

The hard part is waiting! I will definitely get some pic's up when I get the goods. Now to find out how to post the pics.

Wes James
Postmaster

Reged: 04/12/06

Re: Have or had a Gitzo GT 3531 LS or similar? new [Re: Scruffy]
      #3599967 - 02/02/10 12:59 PM

I'm sorry, as I edited my previous post, I goofed up and listed Case Technology as the supplier I've had make soft cases for me... Wrong! C/T makes hardcases to order, and they're also great- I have something like 7 of them... and easy to determine how much it'll cost you with their online estimator. I used to get their lightweight ATA cases, but have switched to the ultra lights, as they meet my needs, very well made and solid- and are a little less pricey. On the case estimator, there's a drop-down menu to choose the foam lining- either .5", 1" or 1.5" IIRC. 1" foam lining is standard. You simply plug in the length, width and height of whatever you want to put in the case, and it automatically figures the outside dimension with whatever lining you choose. You don't have to allow for the foam or anything, simply plug in those 3 dimensions of your object, plus if you want, say- a half inch clearance or so. Length of a scope- consider if you want to leave your diagonal in the scope or whatever.
The place I've gotten soft bags from is called Studio Slips- the lady who makes the cases/covers is very nice to work with- and produces excellent work. You'd need to call her to really get a quote and discuss what you want, as her main specialty is slip covers for musician's gear. But she made a briefcase style case for me with a sidepocket- the side unzips, and my camera sits inside on a 1" piece of foam, cutout for the lens foot (foam from Case Tech!) and then the scope case has a full length zipper.. both have double strap handles with a velcro catch... very well made, fits perfectly. I simply gave her the diameter of the scope- and the length, and she did the rest. In the case of the camera case I told her to make me a case that would fit a box (A)x(B)x(C). Both were perfect.
I'd consider Case Technology for a hardcase for your scope- and, perhaps Studio Slips for a double-quilted bag for your tripod/mount.
Sorry for the confusion!
Wes

Scott99
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: New England
      #3600143 - 02/02/10 02:09 PM

Quote:

Good news, Bad news, Good news

Good news: I ordered the GT 5531 S! Yeah!

good choice, as you know from the other thread I have two wood berlebach tripods but I'd still love to have one of these for travel.

You'll always be happy to have this around even if you get other bigger tripods down the road. If I ever fly somewhere with the Teegul/refractor again it will be with the Gitzo.

Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
      #3600483 - 02/02/10 04:29 PM

Quote:

What do you put on top of those Git'z Gus?

On the 3 series I put a Telepod head and an AP f5 Stowaway for quick observing. I can literally pick up the whole setup with my pinkie finger. On the 5 series I have a Universal Astronomics Unistar Light Deluxe. On that I mount either an AP Traveler for visual use or an AP f7 Stowaway with an extension tube, a barlow, Maxbright diagonal, and a Daystar University H-a filter. The H-a setup isn't particularly heavy but the focal length is long and the physical length is long and awkward, and the tripod is still very stable in use. I also use the 5 series with a panning head for either my video camera or digital SLR for daytime use, at least as stable (and far lighter and more portable) than my Bogen 3236 (now called 475B). In fact, since I bought the Gitzo the Bogen hasn't left my closet.

JMW
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/11/07

Loc: Nevada
Re: Have or had a Gitzo GT 3531 LS or similar? new [Re: Paul G]
      #3607792 - 02/06/10 01:15 AM

Just got a Gitzo 5541LS today. Works great with my SV115T and DM4
mount. Plenty steady at 160 power.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
28 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3365

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics