Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
hudson_yak
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/15/07

Loc: Hyde Park, NY, USA
Re: TMB 130mm and Losmandy GM 8 Mount new [Re: Mike Clemens]
      #3606314 - 02/05/10 10:34 AM

Yes, that looks like it would work pretty well, with the focuser knobs relatively close to the saddle. That is the big difference between the ED100 I used to use on mine and the TV-85 I use now. There wasn't much difference in weight between the two scopes, couple lbs maybe. Leverage was the issue.

Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mountain monk
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/06/09

Loc: Grand Teton National Park
Re: TMB 130mm and Losmandy GM 8 Mount new [Re: Mike Clemens]
      #3606915 - 02/05/10 03:20 PM

Thank you all for your comments. It sounds like the tripod is the weakest link. If you put the GM 8 in on a Berlebach UNI24 (say, or a UNI14) and restricted it to visual use---would that cut it? Would most of you be satisfied with that?

mm

hudson_yak
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/15/07

Loc: Hyde Park, NY, USA
Re: TMB 130mm and Losmandy GM 8 Mount new [Re: mountain monk]
      #3607056 - 02/05/10 04:26 PM

Compared to the Losmandy LW tripod, I found the UNI24 to feel a bit stiffer in twist (rotation about the azimuth). Perhaps a little faster damping time, though certainly not what I had been hoping and been led to understand I'd get with a wooden tripod. Deflection while working the focuser with my ED100 was also not significantly improved.

I view standing up so used my LW tripod at full extension and even added additional 6" length with some wood inserts in the lower legs. I used the UNI24 at the same height.

I now think it would have taken the Planet tripod model to provide a significant improvement in stiffness over the LW, at least if you use them with legs extended a good bit.

Mike

SteveC
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/15/06

Loc: Sunshine State & Ocean State
Re: TMB 130mm and Losmandy GM 8 Mount new [Re: mountain monk]
      #3607232 - 02/05/10 06:03 PM

Quote:

Thank you all for your comments. It sounds like the tripod is the weakest link. If you put the GM 8 in on a Berlebach UNI24 (say, or a UNI14) and restricted it to visual use---would that cut it? Would most of you be satisfied with that?

mm

I'll think about it and get back to you. Don't order anything until you hear from me!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
23 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2114

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics