Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
pogobbler
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/30/08

Loc: Central Indiana, USA
What are the chances of updated Losmandy mounts?
      #3613991 - 02/09/10 01:59 AM

Though, due to lack of finances, I'm not currently in the market for a new eq mount, barring a win in the lottery, if I am in the future, I'd definitely consider mounts from Losmandy, as well as other manufacturers. It seems to me, though, that the Losmandy G8 and G11, though both very good mounts, are due to a bit of an update in regards to the integration of the goto electronics into the mount as a whole. Though they seem to work well, they still come across as very much an add-on. I realize not everyone wants go-to capabilities and that the amateur astronomy market is not a large one, but it seems in this day and age, having a well integrated go-to system needn't necessarily add too much to the cost of a mount and people could use it or not as they wish. Or make the mount go-to ready with the addition of a hand control housing the go-to computer itself, as Meade used to do with some models. Other manufacturers seem to have gone the route of better integration and I'm sure Losmandy will eventually, but when is that likely?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
blueman
Photon Catcher

Reged: 07/20/07

Loc: California
Re: What are the chances of updated Losmandy mounts? new [Re: pogobbler]
      #3614028 - 02/09/10 02:50 AM

I would doubt that it would be anytime soon. The Gemini will probably be updated sometime in the future, but I have not heard anything for sure.
The Gemini add on is fairly expensive, but it does require replacing the motors as well as the electronic box. So, the cost is for cables, motors and gearboxes plus the computer.
Blueman

Phil Cowell
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/24/07

Loc: Southern Tier NY
      #3614114 - 02/09/10 05:37 AM

There are other controller options for the Losmandy mounts. SiTech make one you can purchase as an update to the non-go-to mount. The SiTech controller is also used on the Planewave mounts. The mounts are well made and there are options for goto controllers.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
      #3614213 - 02/09/10 08:16 AM

Quote:

Other manufacturers seem to have gone the route of better integration and I'm sure Losmandy will eventually, but when is that likely?

Some other manufacturers have the capability of designing and producing (or having produced for them) such dedicated, integrated systems. Losmandy doesn't have those capabilities. The Gemini system is, as you decribe, an addon that is purchased from an outside source by Losmandy and several other mount manufacturers. A higher degree of integration with any of those mounts is highly unlikely under that business model.

mish
sage

Reged: 02/10/09

Loc: West of Astronomics
Re: What are the chances of updated Losmandy mount new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #3614293 - 02/09/10 09:10 AM

Losmandy's mounts are mechanically excellent, and have well-defined points of attachment for drive electronics, so the necessary interface between mount mechanics and drive electronics works for the two drive systems sold by Losmandy, as well as for third-party systems.

Beyond that, I would suggest that the term "better integration" is a misnomer. The level of systems integration required in any technology depends on its function, and beyond that technology-dependent point, integration is not necessarily a virtue. For example, a boombox is a highly-integrated audio system, where my home theater's audio system is integrated only via its wire and optical interfaces. Does that decoupling of audio system components not represent a "better" approach?

Losmandy's approach to systems integration has permitted them to concentrate on what they are very, very good at, and it has permitted customers to buy high-quality mount technology that (for but one example) doesn't have to be shipped somewhere far away when one component fails.

That apparent lack of integration is not a bug: it's a feature.

Booji

Reged: 10/12/07

Loc: North Carolina, USA
      #3614555 - 02/09/10 11:31 AM

I think with the modularity of the G11 platform and how components can be added, the design has the possibility of becoming the "AR-15" of mounts where other manufacturers can build G11 components, its happening already, with GOTO add-ons and dovetail plates. If Losmandy ever gives up the G11, I can see it continuing as a design being supported by others.

gnowellsct
Postmaster

Reged: 06/24/09

Re: What are the chances of updated Losmandy mounts? new [Re: Booji]
      #3615842 - 02/09/10 10:32 PM

I agree, the more G11s that are out there, the more decades the entire fleet will last. There are a number of available updates (aftermarket and from Losmandy) and if you think of the "base price" as $3800 including an Ovision for the RA it's still a steal.

I bought mine for $1800 (no go-to) and could probably sell it for that or more (it has Ovision and other mods). Basically I have had the use of this mount for free, were I to sell (but I would be nuts to sell it).

Anyhow, I haven't seen any other systems in comparable load categories, with or without go-to, that made me want to change. Not yet anyhow.

regards
greg n

blueman
Photon Catcher

Re: What are the chances of updated Losmandy mounts? new [Re: gnowellsct]
      #3615909 - 02/09/10 11:09 PM

The G-11 had held its value well and they are not exactly for sale all the time, you have to keep on your toes to get one.
I bought mine by being quick on the trigger when a fellow wanted to sell it and wanted a local sale. I met him 100 miles from home, half way, to pick it up. It only had been run for 3 hours. It also had lots of accessories including a hard case with wheels. jump:
I think that there will be a NEW Gemini in the future, I keep hearing rumors and catching posts. Plus, there are a lot of them out there, so there is a market for upgrades.
Blueman

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
      #3616864 - 02/10/10 01:50 PM

Quote:

..... It seems to me, though, that the Losmandy G8 and G11, though both very good mounts, are due to a bit of an update in regards to the integration of the goto electronics into the mount as a whole. .....

I believe that Meade has a patent on integrated and distributed control electronics for telescope mounts, plus the look & feel of their control software. Celestron has to pay Meade some undisclosed amount for each mount they sell as part of a law suite settlement. Why would Losmandy want to get involved in that?

Phil Cowell
Carpal Tunnel

Re: What are the chances of updated Losmandy mounts? new [Re: George N]
      #3617459 - 02/10/10 07:35 PM

I thought Meade lost that one but won the level north case. That was why Celestron went to sky align. Uncle Rod can clarify that.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: What are the chances of updated Losmandy mounts? new [Re: Phil Cowell]
      #3617467 - 02/10/10 07:40 PM

Quote:

I thought Meade lost that one but won the level north case. That was why Celestron went to sky align. Uncle Rod can clarify that.

The case they won was for the combination of distributed processing AND "North and Level". That's why Celestron can still use distributed processing with their non-N&L models.

It's irrelevant in an EQ-only mount so no GEM manufacturers need to worry about it.

Edited by jrcrilly (02/10/10 07:41 PM)

Phil Cowell
Carpal Tunnel

Re: What are the chances of updated Losmandy mounts? new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #3617485 - 02/10/10 07:48 PM

Thanks for the clarification. I remember the North and level issue with my NX11GPS. A hand controller upgrade removed the North and level portion some time back in the days before sky align.

chupacabra

Reged: 03/26/07

Loc: Land O'Lakes, FL
Re: What are the chances of updated Losmandy mount new [Re: mish]
      #3619744 - 02/11/10 10:20 PM

Quote:

That apparent lack of integration is not a bug: it's a feature.

Is having separate audio components a feature when you are taking the family for a picnic and want some music? I'll take a "boom box", even with its disadvantages, for that purpose.

People's needs (and preferences) vary. I don't have an observatory and probably won't for another 2 years or more. Even when I set up in the backyard, it's like a remote setup. For me, a better integrated system has a lot of appeal.

So far, Gemini and the look-like-add-on motors have kept me away from a G11. I would definitely be interested in a new GoTo package, whether it's the next Gemini or something completely different. I suspect a new Gemini will mean an updated computer with the same type/level of integration. So maybe it wouldn't sway me in that direction, but I'd sure reassess the G11 option.

blueman
Photon Catcher

Re: What are the chances of updated Losmandy mount new [Re: chupacabra]
      #3619994 - 02/12/10 01:18 AM

How would you suggest that motors and gearboxes be added to the G-11, if not like they are now, so that they do not look like add ons?
Blueman

chupacabra

Reged: 03/26/07

Loc: Land O'Lakes, FL
Re: What are the chances of updated Losmandy mount new [Re: blueman]
      #3620501 - 02/12/10 11:08 AM

Quote:

How would you suggest that motors and gearboxes be added to the G-11, if not like they are now, so that they do not look like add ons?
Blueman

There may not be a better way to mount them without a total redesign. It's just an opinion anyway, but as someone who always has to lug my gear around, the way the motors are mounted looks too fragile for me. I suppose I'd want to see a more substantial cover that firmly bolted to the mount and that could bear the weight of the mount and handle small impacts. Perhaps the motor could bolt to a stout motor box and the box bolts to the mount chassis? I would guess the chassis wasn't designed to accommodate a motor box so a retrofit probably isn't possible.

Losmandy mounts are a bit like Harley-Davidsons. In the case of a Harley, everyone likes to snap pictures of the side with the exhaust pipes and air cleaner. The other side isn't unattractive, it's just a bit boring. When I was just getting interested in Astrophotography and had only done some preliminary internet browsing about equatorial mounts, I thought Losmandy mounts looked like a tight package. Do a Google Images search and an overwhelming majority of the pictures show the "good" side. Most of us take some pride in our gear, so I don't think that's a coincidence.

The first time I saw a GM8, G11, and Titan on the same field, I was a bit surprised. Overall they are great looking mounts. The non-motor side shows a tight, well designed and well made piece of machinery. But on the other side, those motors stick out like a sore thumb. I asked the Titan owner if they were at all fragile and he indicated that he had broken one and installing/removing the motors was now part of the setup/teardown process. I'm not generally clumsy, but moving heavy gear around when tired . . . eventually I'd ding one of those motors and possibly do some damage.

The Astro-Physics mounts also have "bolt-on" motors and the concept does have some appeal to me. It certainly would be easier to replace a motor on an AP or Losmandy than it would be in my Atlas (and likely a Takahashi as well). I like that if I had an RA motor failure in the field, I could swap motors and avoid a wasted night. But the Losmandy motors just seem too exposed.

It's just an opinion and it's based on my priorities and my particular needs. If I had an observatory, this issue wouldn't bother me a bit. I'm not in any way trying to slam Losmandy mounts or start a peeing match. Lately the mount forum has gotten more testy than the eyepiece and refractor forums it seems. The Borg with their "superior" direct drive technology are trying to assimilate everyone. Resistance is futile ;-)

Actually, that whole debate does relate to this issue a bit. I'm an engineer so heck yeah, I love technology. But not every application and operating environment are appropriate for every technology or packaging of that technology. In the case of a mount for field setup, better integrated or better protected motors is a tangible benefit. The Losmandy mounts seem like the best compromise between cost and quality (by a large margin in my opinion), and so I may one day go with a Losmandy mount despite my concerns. But those concerns are still going to be there.

Edited by chupacabra (02/12/10 06:31 PM)

rsbfoto
sage

Reged: 06/10/06

#3620580 - 02/12/10 11:44 AM

Hi,

Somewhere I heard an engineer saying this ...

Make it as good as necessary and not as good as possible

I am an Engineer too ...

blueman
Photon Catcher

#3620822 - 02/12/10 01:36 PM

Yeah, the motors are exposed. This is good and bad I guess. It allows you to remove a motor and replace it in about 2 minutes. I guess that is one of the reasons for this. The motors stay cooler exposed as well.

I know that there are some that have the motors inside of the housing, which is also good a bad. You have a bit of work to replace them and they do not get to cool as well as an exposed motor.

I have hit a motor before, with no damage thank goodness, but I just take a lot of care to not hit them.

Blueman

Mike C
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/05/08

Loc: Cornwall, UK
Re: What are the chances of updated Losmandy mount new [Re: blueman]
      #3621084 - 02/12/10 03:41 PM

I felt that the G-11 motors looked exposed too, and so ordered the metal motor housings along with the mount last July.

The mount arrived in November but I'm still waiting for the housings! I hope I don't bang a motor against the door frame, why moving the mount outside, before I get a chance to fit them.

Regards.

BlueGrass
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/25/09

Loc: Wasatch Front, UT
      #3621761 - 02/12/10 09:58 PM

"The Borg with their "superior" direct drive technology are trying to assimilate everyone. Resistance is futile ;-) "

Even after we're all assimilated, there will be "diehard' enclaves of 8/11 users hiding out in the mountains out West... able to self repair their mounts while the modern direct drive folks have to just dump 'em in the landfill and buy new....

Edited by BlueGrass (02/12/10 10:06 PM)

Phil Cowell
Carpal Tunnel

Re: What are the chances of updated Losmandy mount new [Re: BlueGrass]
      #3621795 - 02/12/10 10:16 PM

Quote:

"The Borg with their "superior" direct drive technology are trying to assimilate everyone. Resistance is futile ;-) "

Even after we're all assimilated, there will be "diehard' enclaves of 8/11 users hiding out in the mountains out West... able to self repair their mounts while the modern direct drive folks have to just dump 'em in the landfill and buy new....

Yup they'll be sitting around the peat fire telling stories of how good things were before the industrial revolution.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2197

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics