Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Brian L
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/17/08

Loc: The garden paradise of Pittsbu...
Re: Precision Rotary Stage for a RA axis? new [Re: Starhawk]
      #3652299 - 02/28/10 09:07 AM

I'm not sure exactly how I would use a Byers worm set with the Newport stage. I've been afraid to take it apart, but it looks like the teeth for the existing worm are integral...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Precision Rotary Stage for a RA axis? new [Re: Brian L]
      #3654074 - 03/01/10 09:35 AM

I wouldn't take it apart, either. The model I was thinking of was to attach to the mounting face on the side- essentially it would be externally driven with the internal drive unused and its gearhead removed. And that was what started me thinking it might make a lot more sense to use this as a Dec drive, where constant rate isn't a requirement. In that case, you can use another bearing for the RA, whether you go GEM or fork.

Taking one of these apart is a big deal- just changing the location of the limit switches on one has meant calling in riggers to pick an entire 3 axis stage up and put it on a pallet and ship it back to Newport (surprise! Even minor mods aren't minor).

So leaving well enough alone and using it as a Dec Axis is making a lot of sense to me at the moment.

-Rich

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
21 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1562

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics