Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
DavidD
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/23/09

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Just ordered an EQ2 new [Re: watcher]
      #3736501 - 04/10/10 10:55 AM

Joe -

To help you out on getting a dovetail, here was my experience.

There are two ways to mount the dovetail saddle....well three. First, there appears to be a saddle that Orion or whoever makes to retrofit the mount. I found one that would give a 1/4-20 on it, but could not track down a dovetail. No one seems to carry it or know how to get it.

Second - you can mount a bar on the current bar, and attach a dovetail saddle to that. ADM and possibly ScopeStuff have that configuration.

Third - and this is what I went with. I removed the current configuration, and added an ADM saddle directly. This way the rotation point was as near to the mount as possible. However, I could not find a direct fit anywhere. In corresponding with Anthony at ADM, he had me order a saddle for a different hole pattern, and then he made custom holes to fit my mount. This worked fine, except the jaws were a bit too wide to accommodate the other dovetail I had. So I sent it back (and I think I sent the other dovetail with it for him to test with) and he shaved a bit off the inside of the jaw to make things fit. I also ordered a dovetail from him that I mounted the rings that came with the Sky-Watcher to, so now all my scopes can go on the EQ2 interchangeably.

In the end, I spent more on getting things to work than on the scope/mount, but I now have a usable solution!

I can dig up part numbers, etc., if needed.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
18 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1459

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics