Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
DeanS
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Central Kentucky
Re: Pushing the Mach1's AP Limits... new [Re: gillmj24]
      #3771477 - 04/27/10 12:13 PM

The TOA-150 is 33 lbs but requires a 10 lb counter weight for the rear of the tube since it is so front heavy due to all the glass.

Then by the time I add rings, mounting plate, finder, imaging equipment it gets up there.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
      #3771480 - 04/27/10 12:13 PM

It's close to 43 pounds with the counterweight collar on the back. Add rings, finder, diagonal, and eyepiece - or guidescope and camera gear and you are pushing 50 pounds easy.

It sure is a nice scope, though.

Ron

DeanS
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Central Kentucky
Re: Pushing the Mach1's AP Limits... new [Re: RAKing]
      #3771483 - 04/27/10 12:15 PM

Wow, we must be twin sons of different mothers

RAKing
Postmaster

Re: Pushing the Mach1's AP Limits... new [Re: DeanS]
      #3771490 - 04/27/10 12:16 PM

Quote:

Wow, we must be twin sons of different mothers

Except you HAVE a TOA 150 and I WANT one.

Ron

microstar
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/05/08

Loc: Canada
      #3772433 - 04/27/10 07:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Excellent, Jim! That gives me some reassurance...

Quote:

The uncorrected PE was <3 arc-sec, I could do 10 min unguided. The pointing accuracy was awesome
Jim

I planned for the Mach1 to be my ultimate mount and that's how I sold it to the CFO. Based on how much weight you have used on it, looks like my plans are good.
Ron

I too sold it to the CFO on that basis, so I'm really pleased by this thread -- I have no worries that it won't be up to the task. I currently have a 34lb imaging payload, so I have a lot of growth potential with this mount, particularly because I have the extra stability of it being permanently mounted on a steel pier bolted to 1000lb of concrete. I can't see myself outgrowing this mount any time soon.

My Mach1 was shipped today and is supposed to be here on Friday. Can hardly wait!
...Keith

bseltzer
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/28/07

Loc: East S.F.Bay, CA
Re: Pushing the Mach1's AP Limits... new [Re: microstar]
      #3772812 - 04/27/10 11:43 PM

Keith,

I'm still in the "needles and pins" mode here. If you don't mind me asking, when did you place your order?

Just looking for a frame of reference...

Thanks,
Bert

WirelessDude
sage

Reged: 01/02/08

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ, USA
Re: Pushing the Mach1's AP Limits... new [Re: bseltzer]
      #3772842 - 04/28/10 12:04 AM

Here, here! I ordered mine last week and would like to know the same...

Clear skies!

microstar
Pooh-Bah

#3773237 - 04/28/10 09:37 AM

Quote:

If you don't mind me asking, when did you place your order?

Just looking for a frame of reference...

Thanks,
Bert

I placed my order on April 5th and it is scheduled to be delivered on Friday -- just under 4 weeks.
...Keith

bseltzer
Pooh-Bah

#3773346 - 04/28/10 10:36 AM

Keith,

Thanks!

I ordered mine on the 20th, so I'd guess I've got a bit of waiting ahead of me. Still, 4 weeks for an A-P... that's pretty quick!

Regards,
Bert

saadabbasi
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: 29N
      #3774782 - 04/29/10 02:08 AM

Quote:

Still, 4 weeks for an A-P... that's pretty quick!

Regards,
Bert

Compared to their refractors, its faster than the speed of light.

Scott99
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: New England
Re: Pushing the Mach1's AP Limits... new [Re: saadabbasi]
      #3775359 - 04/29/10 11:52 AM Attachment (46 downloads)

you guys are in for a treat, opening the Mach1 box was probably the biggest thrill of any equipment I've bought - it's so beautiful, seeing it in person! it's mechanical art - you'll see what I mean......let us know what you think!

I like it because with 4 screws it breaks down into 2 lightweight pieces, I can put everything I need for the mount (tube rings, keypad, cables, etc) inside these 2 Tenba soft cases and neither one weighs more than 22 pounds:

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
Re: Pushing the Mach1's AP Limits... new [Re: Scott99]
      #3775409 - 04/29/10 12:22 PM

I'd started a thread a while back about "AP Mach 1, no wait list" soon after the announcement went out. Mine took about 9 weeks to get to me, seems the wait is now much shorter. I posted some images in that thead. The build of the mount / control box / hand control / cables is 1st class all the way. Compared to their refractors (shipping time) it's not just faster than light, that's warp 9 !

I've been able to do very little since recieving the mount to test for load pushing with my 160 scope, typical late spring weather here seems like 99% clouds and or rain and clouds (this more true near and after sunset) I think the ~4hrs of use so far I've gotten more used to the H/C menuing and alignment routines - but still in the baby steps. I need a good long clear night to play! By the weather reports and CSC that might not be as soon as I'd like, so it goes.

microstar
Pooh-Bah

Re: Pushing the Mach1's AP Limits... new [Re: CounterWeight]
      #3775433 - 04/29/10 12:32 PM

Just received the phone call from UPS. My mount is here a day early! That's under 4 weeks. I'm going to pick it up at lunch time. I'll post a picture when I get it set up on the pier (I don't think I'm going to have to drill any new holes). Happy days!
...Keith

bseltzer
Pooh-Bah

#3775601 - 04/29/10 01:43 PM

Quote:

Just received the phone call from UPS. My mount is here a day early! That's under 4 weeks. I'm going to pick it up at lunch time. I'll post a picture when I get it set up on the pier (I don't think I'm going to have to drill any new holes). Happy days!
...Keith

You guys are killing me here...

I'm only 10 days into the wait, and I'm about ready to climb the walls. I'm sure it'll be worth it, but in the meantime....

Just out of curiosity, what, if any, accessories did you order with your Mach1? I asked for the 1.875" CWS and a couple CW's to go with it, and the adapters to mount the Mach1 on my Losmandy HD tripod. I also have a saddle plate from Robin Casady on they way. Aside from that, I'm going through the manuals (over and over again) just to keep myself occupied. A lot of what I'm reading seems a bit disjointed, but I suspect it'll all make sense once I can connect the printed word with some hands-on experience.

As for the skies, well, we're still in that "if it isn't cloudy/raining, it must be a near full moon..." pattern the weather man seems so fond of lately. I just hope A-P does not pack up a bunch of clouds in the same box with the mount.

Regards,
Bert

RAKing
Postmaster

#3776264 - 04/29/10 06:35 PM

Your shopping list is identical to mine and the only additional thing I got was the polar scope. The A-P also uses a Losmandy reticle - I'm used to this and quite happy with the results. My mount and tripod have to be setup and broken down each night and I am only doing visual astronomy now. Since I travel, I also have a Star GPS and it handles the initial setup routine for me. I turn it on, wait a minute for the GPS to lock (it's fast ), and start observing.

I use a Losmandy G-11 tripod and attached two A-P shelf brackets to the center post. I generally lay the hand control down on one of those during the night.

I've had my Mach1 almost a year and am celebrating my 100th observing session with it tonight. The more I use it, the more I like it - and the happier I am I bought it.

Cheers,

Ron

bseltzer
Pooh-Bah

#3776583 - 04/29/10 09:15 PM

Ron,

I've been pretty happy with the ability of my Losmandy PA scope to get me pretty durn close as well, and I see that A-P has an adapter that allows the use of the Losmandy scope in their mounts or at least in the Mach1. So that's the route I took. I know it may seem silly to quibble over the cost of A-P's own PA scope when spending $6K for a mount. However, including it with the G-11 when I sold it wouldn't have added much to the selling price, and any little savings helps me make the case to the missus.

Regards,
Bert

RAKing
Postmaster

#3777310 - 04/30/10 08:27 AM

Quote:

Ron,

I've been pretty happy with the ability of my Losmandy PA scope to get me pretty durn close as well, and I see that A-P has an adapter that allows the use of the Losmandy scope in their mounts or at least in the Mach1. So that's the route I took. I know it may seem silly to quibble over the cost of A-P's own PA scope when spending $6K for a mount. However, including it with the G-11 when I sold it wouldn't have added much to the selling price, and any little savings helps me make the case to the missus.

Regards,
Bert

As near as I can tell, the PA scopes are identical. You did good.

Ron

gillmj24
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/06/05

Loc: PA
      #3777493 - 04/30/10 10:23 AM

How quiet is the Mach 1? Is it Atlas-quiet?

bseltzer
Pooh-Bah

#3777698 - 04/30/10 11:56 AM

I don't recall the Atlas I had a couple years ago as being particularly "quiet" It wasn't what I would call objectionable either, but you knew when it was slewing.

One of my observing partners has an A-P 900. If the Mach1 is on a par with that, I'd be pleased.

Regards,
Bert

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
Re: Pushing the Mach1's AP Limits... [Re: bseltzer]
      #3777785 - 04/30/10 12:28 PM

Isn't mount noise also affected by the load?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4401

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics