Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
kohudson
sage

Reged: 01/21/09

Loc: Mayhill, NM
Re: Recommended Mount for $1500+ new [Re: BKBrown]
      #3799998 - 05/11/10 07:35 PM

Quote:

Ken, the adapter I used is from Optical Supports and is about the easiest thing you can imagine installing. As for the Sirius, I have no idea if you could use this same adapter you would have to check with Curt and company at Optical Supports; I intend to track down a Sirius and put it on the 2” Atlas tripod with the big stabilizer tray (you can see it in my comparison picture above) as my mobile AP mount.

Thank you for the follow up. To tell you the truth, I hadn't noticed the Atlas tripod in the background of your picture. Wow - what a difference in size between those two tripods! I can see why you want the Atlas mount for your mobile mount!

Thanks,

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JakeJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/04

Re: Recommended Mount for $1500+ new [Re: mewmartigan]
      #3800013 - 05/11/10 07:46 PM

Quote:

While the Atlas hand controller doesn't have a polar alignment routine (last I checked), EQMOD does have a quick/easy/accurate polar alignment routine.

Honestly I don't understand all this fuss about the polar alignment routine on the CGEM. It is simply an "iterative alignment". You can do an iterative aligment on virtually any goto mount, including the Atlas - it is a very simple procedure.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Recommended Mount for $1500+ new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #3800033 - 05/11/10 07:54 PM

Quote:

I'm curious what you believe makes the CGEM firmware better?

Quote:

Two reasons for me...the star alignment routine is better and the polar align routine which the Atlas firmware doesn't have. Well, at least when I had an Atlas, it didn't have a PA routine.

David

I agree with those, but the limitation into which I constantly ran when using an EQ-G was the tiny database. The Celestron star and object catalogs are much, much larger and much, much better organized.

The need for these things depends a lot on the application. In my observatory I use a Takahashi mount which is operated much like an EQMod-equipped Atlas - strictly PC controlled and no reliance on internal firmware. So long as the PC is in control, I don't care what features any internal controller may or may not have so an EQ-G would be as good as a CGEM there. In the field, however, I'm not willing to power up a PC just to operate a telescope mount - so the internal controller matters to me. I don't have a CGEM, but I do use a CGE with the same controller and it does everything I want, unlike the EQ-G that did not.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Recommended Mount for $1500+ new [Re: JakeJ]
      #3800037 - 05/11/10 07:56 PM

Quote:

Honestly I don't understand all this fuss about the polar alignment routine on the CGEM. It is simply an "iterative alignment". You can do an iterative aligment on virtually any goto mount, including the Atlas - it is a very simple procedure.

You don't appear to be familiar with Celestron's polar alignment feature. It is unique.

JakeJ
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Recommended Mount for $1500+ new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #3800225 - 05/11/10 09:42 PM

Quote:

I agree with those, but the limitation into which I constantly ran when using an EQ-G was the tiny database. The Celestron star and object catalogs are much, much larger and much, much better organized.

When the Synscan controller first came out, it had a 13k object database, so I suppose that used to be true. However, the most current software update puts the database at 42,900 objects. Celestron lists the Nexstar controller as having a >40K database, so the number of items in the catalogs are pretty similar.

The Synscan is well-organized by the following catalogs:
Named Star
Solar System
IC Catalog
NGC Catalog
Messier Catalog
Caldwell Catalog
Double Star
Variable Star
User Defined
SAO

Simply scroll to the desired catalog and punch in the object - I don't know how it could be better organized.

JakeJ
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Recommended Mount for $1500+ new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #3800229 - 05/11/10 09:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You don't appear to be familiar with Celestron's polar alignment feature. It is unique.

I have read how the routine works - unless I am missing something it is a fancy way of doing an iterative alignment (which can also be done if Polaris is not visible).

Locoweed
sage

Reged: 06/27/07

Loc: Texas
      #3800606 - 05/12/10 01:28 AM

My experience with the CGEM has been mixed. I have not had very good results trying to image at 1600mm with approx. 33lbs. on it. Not a surprise I guess as most folks recommend 50% of the visual load rating for AP work. For shorter FL and/or lighter loads it's a good value.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#3800951 - 05/12/10 08:18 AM

Quote:

I have read how the routine works - unless I am missing something it is a fancy way of doing an iterative alignment (which can also be done if Polaris is not visible).

It's a little different... And you don't have to use Polaris. In fact, I think the latest routine, AllStar, works best if you use something other than Polaris.

As for the choice between CGEM and Atlas...they are more similar than different. I got my Atlas the year before the CGEM came out. At first I was bummed, but I've come to love the mount and EQMOD.

The closest thing to the Celestron polar alignment routine is the program AlignMaster. Usually the Atlas polar scope is good enough for me, though.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2049

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics