Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
jbattleson
Happily Retired

Reged: 03/02/09

Loc: Nebraska
Re: anyone think hypertune is overrated? new [Re: EFT]
      #4539158 - 04/23/11 04:43 PM

Ed,
I will keep an eye out for your video but am sure I won't be doing anything until next winter.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mary B
Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

Reged: 05/21/10

Loc: Minnesota
      #4539251 - 04/23/11 05:31 PM

If you decide to laser cut teflon be careful, the fumes are toxic.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: anyone think hypertune is overrated? new [Re: Mary B]
      #4539281 - 04/23/11 05:44 PM

Quote:

If you decide to laser cut teflon be careful, the fumes are toxic.

Yes. I think that the laser cutting would be more appropriate for brass. Water jet would be better for the Teflon and probably most plastics.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #4539365 - 04/23/11 06:30 PM

The fumes from Teflon include fluorine, so yes, toxic.

On the design of the CGEM, I'm not scan of how the two axes are in ine block. So there is no further breakdown for transport.

And I'm floored about the motor adjustment. Yeah, I suppose I'll need to be quiet on that score.

-Rich

Mary B
Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

Reged: 05/21/10

Loc: Minnesota
Re: anyone think hypertune is overrated? new [Re: Starhawk]
      #4539818 - 04/23/11 10:22 PM

Many plastics cut well with a laser, Acrylic, ABS are 2 I can think of right away.

ADBjester
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/27/10

Loc: Reading, PA
Re: anyone think hypertune is overrated? new [Re: nemo129]
      #4540140 - 04/24/11 01:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

There are a lot of us who don't have free time to play with mounts. Sending it off to get the job done right, by folks who know what they are doing is a good investment.
Phil

That is great advice if you consider the expertise a guy like Ed has developed doing the different types of mounts he has hypertuned. If you are not comfortable the with type of work or do not have the time and or tools, the expense of shipping the mount off to an expert to do the work is a wise choice and will save you some angst! Well worth the extra $ IMHO.

I have heard of Ed for only a month or so, read extensively of him only for a week or so.... and have never ONCE heard a negative word said, not so much as a "I thought it would be better than this...."

That's why, after a 10 minute phone conversation with him on Friday in which he was most gracious, and most knowledgeable, I boxed up my CGEM and will ship it to him on Monday for a hypertune and RA gear upgrade. I've sunk many thousands into hardware and software (much of it frivolously or via ignorance), but of all $500+ purchases I've made in astronomy, this is one I have zero doubt is worth it.

Seldom do you find someone with that sort of reputation, willing to sell his long experience for so little. I'm mechanically inclined, but have few tools, and don't trust myself not to break things. Thus, I trust Ed implicitly to improve my mount, based on his reputation.

I will report back the good and bad in 3-4 weeks (depending on the weather), but I'd be flabbergasted if I had anything negative to say.

For "before" pics, see my post in "Beginning Astrophotography" under the thread "Is this gear binding or a PEC/PHD feud".

After pics will be posted as well.

Jester

jason_milani
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/03/04

Loc: Northeast Ohio
Re: anyone think hypertune is overrated? new [Re: ADBjester]
      #4542247 - 04/24/11 11:54 PM

I've only communicated with Ed via e-mail but he seems like a genuine individual. I just ordered a Hypertune deluxe kit from him for my CGEM and he shipped it the same day (should be here tomorrow). The weather stinks so i'll have a project to do this week.

jp071848

Reged: 07/18/10

#4543023 - 04/25/11 12:08 PM

Quote:

The CGE is in many respects and easier mount to work on since it is a better design in most respects. The tough part is getting the worm gear alignment right since it does not have a good system for that. I have the filming done for a video but I haven't had the time to do the editing yet. Another thing on my long list of things to do. I'm also working on a cable upgrade for it with the prototypes being manufactured right now.

My experience bears out Ed's CGE comments exactly. I bought a late-model used CGE last year, trading in a CGE Pro. The CGE worked fine but felt rough and unhappy, though this is based solely on qualitative rather than quantitative criteria. Being an inveterate tinker and tool wonk, I dove right in and started a self-hypertune, using documents and videos available here and from the CGE Yahoo group. Ed's service appears to be fantastic, and had I been in the same country as Ed, I would have sent it to him rather than attempting it myself (... and Ed, I'll be buying that video when it's available). The shipping and trans-border hassles, however, made it not a viable solution for me.

In tearing down and re-building the mount, I discovered a number of nasty surprises courtesy of Celestron and their poor manufacturing and assembly, and I ended up with a much better feeling and sounding mount. Though I can't quantitatively prove it, I'm sure it performs better than before. I found that the CGE is very simple to work on, and it is hard to have anything go very wrong to the point where you'd need Ed's adult intervention. That being said, I had to disassemble the RA axis at least twice, and the DEC axis more times than I can remember, to really NAIL IT. To paraphrase Ed, it's easy to get it OK, very tough to get it very good. Now that I can dis- and re-assemble it in my sleep with my eyes closed, I am now able to dial it in very well, and am very happy with how it moves, sounds and performs. If I suffer any performance issues or failures in the future, I won't hesitate to strip it down to try and repair it myself

Jeff

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
17 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6435

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics