Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
houser23
sage

Reged: 10/26/09

Loc: Rocklin, CA
Re: CGEM vs Atlas EQ-G . . . on the brink . . . new [Re: j.w.white]
      #4237272 - 12/08/10 08:59 PM

I find it funny that it takes some people 45 minutes to polar align the Atlas. At most it takes me 3 minutes to polar align my Atlas and It's always dead on for tracking.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: CGEM vs Atlas EQ-G . . . on the brink . . . new [Re: houser23]
      #4237596 - 12/08/10 11:50 PM

It does take me awhile to polar align the Atlas.

Primarily because I observe from different sites and need to adjust the altitude almost every session. The altitude adjustment bolts on the Atlas are extremely poorly designed. They bend easily and aren't ergonomic enough to allow comfortable adjustment with a load in the saddle. If you adjust with the saddle empty, observe on grass, then load the saddle, you'll likely need to re-adjust the altitude.

So yeah, I think the Atlas is deficient in the polar alignment department. The CGEM corrects the Atlas's deficiencies in this regard in two ways. First, it has ergonomically designed altitude knobs. Second, it has an alternative polar alignment mode that does not rely on the polar bore hole/scope.

It's a pity that the CGEM has been so much less reliable than the venerable Atlas. It's also a shame that in all of these years Orion has not bothered to address the few glaring weaknesses of the Atlas to make it an uber mount.

Between the two, I'd still go Atlas, but the polar alignment mechanicals are a sore point.

Regards,

Jim

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: CGEM vs Atlas EQ-G . . . on the brink . . . new [Re: Pauls72]
      #4237607 - 12/08/10 11:54 PM

Switch that polar alignment pin dude. Seriously. Put the mount's "best foot forward" or someone is going to bump it and you'll be very, very sad.

The pin ships on the wrong side. The pin should be aligned with a single leg rather than between two legs, for stability. In other words, the counterweight bar should be in line with the single front north leg when the mount is at polar rest.

Regards,

Jim

adamsp123
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/20/08

Loc: welshpool mid wales UK
Re: CGEM vs Atlas EQ-G . . . on the brink . . . new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #4238118 - 12/09/10 10:14 AM

Atlas?EQ6 mount, many folk get upgraded bolts for the polar alt adjust.
If you are using PHD you can accurately polar align in a just a few minutes.

FiniteIntellect

Reged: 09/15/10

Loc: Ft. Lauderdale
Re: CGEM vs Atlas EQ-G . . . on the brink . . . new [Re: adamsp123]
      #4238216 - 12/09/10 11:03 AM

I just picked up an Atlas EQ-G, well worth it. I can get polar aligned in under a minute. Mind you, the CGEM doesn't come with a polar scope. I also like the 2 11lb counterweights, its better than one 17lb with the CGEM.

boardriderz

Reged: 08/05/10

Loc: Noosavile, QLD, Australia
Re: CGEM vs Atlas EQ-G . . . on the brink . . . new [Re: FiniteIntellect]
      #4444739 - 03/12/11 02:56 PM

ok, So it is time to re-visit this discussion, I have finally managed to sell my 10" Meade LX200R and I am in the market for a new mount. The 3 (or 4) on the list are the CGEM, Atlas and the iEQ45 (number 4 would be the Sirius).

I am looking for a mount that can be transported relatively easily (one of the main reasons I sold the LX200... just to big to handle by my self or fit in my car), can handle a reasonable size OTA and has good, accurate tracking for AP (what is the average or stated Periodic error for each of these mounts). Please note that for the time being I will not be guiding the scope and not using a laptop for controll, so the PE of the mount is extreemly important for AP. I am really looing for a mount that can do the job all by it self? Is there any differance between the Altas and the CGEM in this regard?

Yes, the only OTA I currently have is the tiny AT 65-EDQ, but I will be looking for something bigger in the not to distant future.

And one last point, I see now there is a CGEM DX, basically an upgraded tripod and drive motors on the CGEM... is it worth the extra $500?

nemo129
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/03/10

Loc: WMass
Re: CGEM vs Atlas EQ-G . . . on the brink . . . new [Re: boardriderz]
      #4444860 - 03/12/11 03:53 PM

Quote:

I see now there is a CGEM DX, basically an upgraded tripod and drive motors on the CGEM... is it worth the extra $500?

The tripod is certainly an upgrade and will certainly add to the stability of the mount. From what I have read and seen in videos about the motors, it is an upgraded motor controller chip that improves power management to the motors. The Celestron reps in the videos I saw said nothing about new motors, but then again who knows until someone actually looks at one.

Phil Sherman
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/10

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Re: CGEM vs Atlas EQ-G . . . on the brink . . . new [Re: nemo129]
      #4447708 - 03/13/11 09:12 PM

The Sirius - your 4th choice is a great mount but has a much smaller weight capacity than the others. I just had to upgrade my Sirius because, as my 8" Newtonian scope aged, like many people, it gained weight; finally becoming too heavy for the Sirius.

The iEQ45 is a relatively new mount, without any history of long term (5-10 years) reliability. The Atlas can be used with EQMOD, some of the best free software available. Celestron's hand controllers have a wonderful polar alignment routine.

The mounts all have their own strong points; you'll need to decide what's most important to you.

Phil

nemo129
Post Laureate

#4447768 - 03/13/11 09:40 PM

Jimmy,
You might also want to define "reasonable size OTA". That phrase certainly can mean different things to different folks!

boardriderz

Reged: 08/05/10

Loc: Noosavile, QLD, Australia
Re: CGEM vs Atlas EQ-G . . . on the brink . . . new [Re: nemo129]
      #4450395 - 03/14/11 10:41 PM

fair call on the "reasonable size" statement, probably nothing bigger than a 10" sct or fast newt. or about 30lb OTA give or take a bit.

nemo129
Post Laureate

#4452162 - 03/15/11 06:54 PM

IMHO, a 30 lb. OTA on a CGEM or Atlas for any long exposure AP would be difficult, unless you go the hyperstar route on an SCT at ~ f/2. Planetary and lunar would be fine at higher f ratios. YMMV.

For visual you would be fine.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6680

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics