Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

The long-awaited conversion to CN 3.0 is imminent. Please see this thread for important information.

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
BKBrown
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
Atlas CW bar upgrade
      #4244293 - 12/12/10 01:59 PM

I am looking to upgrade the counterweight bar on my Atlas. Several times in the last week I tried going to the Criterion Machine Co. site and got the message that it was unavailable. Is Criterion still in business? Is there an alternate reliable source for a CW bar upgrade? Any recommendation along this line would be appreciated as I live in an area without much to offer in the way of light machine shop services. Thanks!

Clear Skies,
BrianB

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
darkman
Man In Black

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Atlas CW bar upgrade new [Re: BKBrown]
      #4244415 - 12/12/10 02:55 PM

Brian, I just bought one in mid-November for my Sirius:here's his email address, try it.

cmcinfo@rocketmail.com

BKBrown
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
Re: Atlas CW bar upgrade new [Re: darkman]
      #4244525 - 12/12/10 03:42 PM

Quote:

Brian, I just bought one in mid-November for my Sirius:here's his email address, try it.

cmcinfo@rocketmail.com

Thanks darkman, I'll drop him a line. Are there any other alternatives out there?

Clear Skies,
BrianB

Edited by BKBrown (12/12/10 03:43 PM)

Deven Matlick
Vendor - Criterion Machine Co. LLC

Reged: 12/31/05

Loc: Moatsville, WV
      #4245049 - 12/12/10 08:59 PM

We are still in business and have the shafts in stock! They are listed in the classifieds under mount accessories till I get the site back up.

Mike Conley
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/23/07

Loc: NW Ohio
      #4281975 - 12/31/10 08:33 AM

Quote:

cmcinfo@rocketmail.com

Jut wondering how you like the upgrade bar and if you notice a difference in performance over the stock bar. I'm considering one.

Mike

darkman
Man In Black

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Atlas CW bar upgrade new [Re: Mike Conley]
      #4282889 - 12/31/10 03:34 PM

Hi Mike,

Yes, I have noticed a difference. First and foremost, I don’t have to run as much total weight to keep my stack balanced. The longer bar also gives me a wider range of travel for weight placement so I can more precisely adjust the balance. Overall, I give it a big thumbs-up.

The bar is well made, sturdy, and has minimal or no discernable flex. Being stainless as opposed to chrome plated iron as the stock unit was, there are few or no corrosion worries.

One thing you must consider: the longer bar will of course swing out a greater distance than the stock bar, make sure you have sufficient clearance around you.

If you slew to an object at 6x or 8x instead of the ‘normal’ default rate, you may notice some pendulum effect, but it is minor. During tracking or at normal slew rate, I have not seen this.

Jeff55
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/14/05

Loc: Boston MA
      #4283013 - 12/31/10 04:38 PM

I have one of Deven's CW bar's on my CGEM...first the craftsmanship is absolutely first rate...I run very close to the 40 pound capacity of this mount and it wouldn't work nearly as well without this 20 inch bar...a must-have in my opinion...lastly, Deven is one great guy to do business with.

Icarus
sage

Reged: 05/05/07

Loc: Sioux Falls, SD
Re: Atlas CW bar upgrade new [Re: Deven Matlick]
      #4327619 - 01/20/11 02:42 PM

Deven, I have been trying to get in touch with you for a few weeks now. Web site down, e-mail not answered and phone number inactive. Is there a way to get in touch with you? Hoping you read this and I can get one of your 20" Atlas shafts.

Scott

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Atlas CW bar upgrade new [Re: Icarus]
      #4327634 - 01/20/11 02:50 PM

Also, CN classifieds is down now, so...

- Jim

gary-sue69
sage

Reged: 07/19/07

Loc: Maybee MI.
Re: Atlas CW bar upgrade new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #4328386 - 01/20/11 08:00 PM

Scott, check this web sit out, 6" Counterweight Shaft Extensions for CGEM Mounts. It will give you about 20", give them a call before you oder because cgem comes in to different thread size,and thay are only $32.00 shipped. http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_eqbe.htm
Gary

gary-sue69
sage

Reged: 07/19/07

Loc: Maybee MI.
Re: Atlas CW bar upgrade new [Re: gary-sue69]
      #4328469 - 01/20/11 08:30 PM

Brian, they might have one for atlas counterweight bar too.
Gary

Icarus
sage

Re: Atlas CW bar upgrade new [Re: gary-sue69]
      #4328569 - 01/20/11 09:20 PM

Hi Gary, thanks for the heads up on this. I will keep it in mind if I cannot get the Atlas CW shaft from Devon like I hope.

If nothing else. I see it will work on my skyview pro mount which would come in handy as well.

Scott

Nils_Lars
Postmaster

Reged: 01/04/08

Loc: Santa Cruz Mountains , CA
      #4329033 - 01/21/11 02:48 AM

I went a different route and got a thicker bar thats about the same size as a stock bar which gives more weight from the bar itself.

I only need 1 weight even when I have my C8 and all the accesories.

Here is the project and pics.

http://diyastrophotography.webs.com/mountprojects.htm

Jeff55
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/14/05

Loc: Boston MA
      #4329485 - 01/21/11 11:09 AM

This is Deven's e-mail address...it was working last week and is definitely still in business...think he moved his shop. email: cmcinfo@rocketmail.com

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

Reged: 09/11/06

Loc: Bolton, MA
Re: Atlas CW bar upgrade new [Re: Jeff55]
      #4329997 - 01/21/11 02:45 PM

Friendly moderator announcement:

Please do NOT post other folks email addresses without their permission (specified accordingly).

Also, it is highly recommended that if/when you ever do post email addresses (i.e. your own) you should probably do it in the form:

xxx (at) yyy (dot) com; or the like; to prevent the web-crawlers from putting it in a spam database.

In this case, I did not edit nor delete it, because, the same email address is posted earlier in the thread in the posters signature.

We now return you to the thread.

Thanks for your participation!

Icarus
sage

Re: Atlas CW bar upgrade new [Re: Nils_Lars]
      #4330296 - 01/21/11 05:23 PM

Erik, Very nice work. I'm afraid you are much more ambitious than I am in that respect. If I have to do something like you in the future, I will follow you article and try to duplicate it. I'd need to buy the drill press and extra items to do the job correctly, so cost right now is a factor.

I've waited 2 years, since Devon first came out with these, so I guess I will just patiently wait until he is back up and running per the response below yours. As it sound like he for sure is still in business.

Scott

Icarus
sage

Re: Atlas CW bar upgrade new [Re: Jeff55]
      #4330341 - 01/21/11 05:38 PM

Jeff, Thank you. I sent one e-mail to that address before, but I just sent him another now as well. Glad to hear that he is still in business and I will just have to be patient (not easy for me) until he returns my e-mails.

Scott

Icarus
sage

#4340632 - 01/26/11 12:07 AM

Hi guys. I just got an e-mail response from Devon. He is still in business and has the Atlas CW shafts in stock. I just order one. So if you do want one, you can get one right away. Contact him at the e-mail address above and he will get back to you.

He also told me that his phone number is active once again.

Scott

Icarus
sage

#4341087 - 01/26/11 09:33 AM

Talk about fast. Devon already had the order shipped when I checked my e-mail at 07:00 this morning.

Thanks for the great service Devon.

Scott

Nils_Lars
Postmaster

Reged: 01/04/08

Loc: Santa Cruz Mountains , CA
      #4342977 - 01/26/11 10:59 PM

Thanks Scott and im glad it worked out for you , CW bar is a deffinate upgrade for this mount and makes a big difference.

Icarus
sage

Re: Atlas CW bar upgrade new [Re: Nils_Lars]
      #4343110 - 01/27/11 12:08 AM

Hi Erik, I'm glad it worked out as well. I should have it by Friday. Weather isn't looking so good for the next week or so, and it's been cloudy nights for the last couple of weeks also.

So when I have a chance to play with it I'll let you guy's know how big a difference it makes for the scopes I have. I'm hoping that this will allow me to eventually put a C-14 on board. I think it will work as I am a visual observer only. I've talked to some of the tech's at Orion and they stated that the mount can handle much more than the rated load if balanced properly and I think the new CW bar, as you mentioned, will allow the full potential of the Atlas to be used.

Thanks again for your help.

Scott

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
17 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2269

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics