Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
BlueGrass
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/25/09

Loc: Wasatch Front, UT
Re: New Celestron CGEM DX- 50lb capacity! new [Re: Jay Wise]
      #4305654 - 01/10/11 07:24 PM

Pictures do show a better image of the mount head itself. It does look bigger?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nemo129
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/03/10

Loc: WMass
Re: New Celestron CGEM DX- 50lb capacity! new [Re: BlueGrass]
      #4305746 - 01/10/11 08:00 PM

Looking at the HC compared to the DEC and RA axes in this picture , the mount body looks the same as a classic CGEM. I must admit that beefier tripod and mounting plate does look like it would make a much sturdier platform. It will be intesting to hear from any beta testers or the folks who get the first ones out of the chute when that time comes!

One other thing I just noticed in this picture is the DEC clutch knob not only is longer as previously reported, but the orientation of the locked position has changed. On my CGEM and in the manual, the locked position of the clutch knob points forward (if you will), here, it clearly points toward the rear of the mount. It also looks like they might have done some work on the dovetail which would be nice. It does not look like a dual saddle like the ADM replacement one, but maybe that will be in CGEM-DXL??

Edited by nemo129 (01/10/11 08:13 PM)

gdd
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/05

Loc: N Seattle suburb, WA
Re: New Celestron CGEM DX- 50lb capacity! new [Re: Garry]
      #4305841 - 01/10/11 08:53 PM

Quote:

CGEM CGEM DX CGE PRO

No Yes Yes

Power Requirement

12VDC 3.2A 12VDC 3.5A 12VDC 3.5A

CGE Pro motors on the CGEM DX?

Gale

Garry

Reged: 10/01/06

Loc: Belleville, MI
Re: New Celestron CGEM DX- 50lb capacity! new [Re: gdd]
      #4306153 - 01/10/11 11:29 PM Attachment (139 downloads)

Quote:

CGE Pro motors on the CGEM DX?

Gale,
Here is more information including the Drive Motors:

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: New Celestron CGEM DX- 50lb capacity! new [Re: Chris.Baron]
      #4306204 - 01/10/11 11:57 PM

Pity they didn't simply keep the price the same, drop the base CGEM and replace it with the CGEM DX to differentiate it from the Atlas. Is 10# capacity worth another $600 to $700? I dunno. I do like the looks of the tripod though.

Regards,

Jim

Jay Wise
sage

Reged: 11/21/08

Loc: Near Williamsburg VA
Re: New Celestron CGEM DX- 50lb capacity! new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #4307632 - 01/11/11 04:28 PM

I just received an email ad from High Point for pre ordering the CGEM DX for $1999 with free shipping. Says it is due out in March.

JayW

Don Allen
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/07/05

Loc: Charleston, SC
Re: New Celestron CGEM DX- 50lb capacity! new [Re: Jay Wise]
      #4308049 - 01/11/11 07:52 PM

Probably the last mount I will have to purchase in my lifetime and $1200 less than the fully loaded G-11. Tempting although the G-11, at least IMHO, looks much cooler.

kevc
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/22/10

Loc: Long Island NY
Re: New Celestron CGEM DX- 50lb capacity! new [Re: Don Allen]
      #4308145 - 01/11/11 08:41 PM

With all this talk about a beefier tripod giving the DX a higher load capacity, what is the load capacity of a good old CGEM (hypertuned), on a permanent pier?
Kev

jason_milani
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/03/04

Loc: Northeast Ohio
Re: New Celestron CGEM DX- 50lb capacity! new [Re: kevc]
      #4308282 - 01/11/11 09:53 PM

Quote:

With all this talk about a beefier tripod giving the DX a higher load capacity, what is the load capacity of a good old CGEM (hypertuned), on a permanent pier?
Kev

Probably about the same.

kevc
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/22/10

Loc: Long Island NY
Re: New Celestron CGEM DX- 50lb capacity! new [Re: jason_milani]
      #4308396 - 01/11/11 10:50 PM

Not trying to be a smart a** but, if a new tripod can help boost payload, why can't a concrete pier?
Kev

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: New Celestron CGEM DX- 50lb capacity! new [Re: kevc]
      #4308839 - 01/12/11 06:30 AM

Quote:

Not trying to be a smart a** but, if a new tripod can help boost payload, why can't a concrete pier?
Kev

As the poster said, it can. The CGEM DX head, however, apparantly incorporates some other improvements including a new counterweight bar and new electronics.

Bill in Va

Reged: 05/15/08

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
Re: New Celestron CGEM DX- 50lb capacity! new [Re: rmollise]
      #4310023 - 01/12/11 05:49 PM

Any Chance that Celestro will offer an upgrade kit? I bought my CGEM last June and am very happy with it. I us a C11 CF with it for visual and a C-8 for AP. My biggest complaint has been the mount.

nemo129
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/03/10

Loc: WMass
Re: New Celestron CGEM DX- 50lb capacity! new [Re: Bill in Va]
      #4310322 - 01/12/11 07:53 PM

Not sure if it was here or in the CGEM Yahoo group, but someone sent Celestron a question regarding that and they replied that there would be no upgrades offered for the current CGEM model. Of course that is now...maybe that will change for at least some of the parts after the new mount has been shipping for a while. It would be nice to have the option to upgrade the tripod if you wanted a beefier base.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: New Celestron CGEM DX- 50lb capacity! new [Re: Bill in Va]
      #4310539 - 01/12/11 09:39 PM

Quote:

Any Chance that Celestro will offer an upgrade kit? I bought my CGEM last June and am very happy with it. I us a C11 CF with it for visual and a C-8 for AP. My biggest complaint has been the mount.

I would be surprised if they did. Of course, it's fairly easy to upgrade the CGEM to a heavier duty tripod, at least, without Celestron's help.

Bart
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/28/06

Loc: Somewhere near Charlottesville...
Re: New Celestron CGEM DX- 50lb capacity! *DELETED* new [Re: rmollise]
      #4314467 - 01/14/11 03:55 PM

Post deleted by Bart

Wilki

Reged: 03/15/10

Loc: California (recently moved)
Re: New Celestron CGEM DX- 50lb capacity! new [Re: Bart]
      #4314771 - 01/14/11 06:12 PM

I like my CGEM as little as I've been able to use it. What kind of upsets me is that I waited for 7 months to finaly get my CGEM 11HD, and then find they have a more capable mount. Just received mine this last September, it would have been nice if they had offered this mount when they first rolled out the HD's. I would have offered up the difference for a slightly more weight capable mount.

Scotty H

Reged: 11/15/10

Loc: Surrey,UK
Re: New Celestron CGEM DX- 50lb capacity! new [Re: Wilki]
      #4314993 - 01/14/11 08:24 PM

Boo!!! they still have'nt put a longer cable on the handset

Garry

Reged: 10/01/06

Loc: Belleville, MI
Re: New Celestron CGEM DX- 50lb capacity! new [Re: Jim7728]
      #4315307 - 01/14/11 11:44 PM

From Celestron's Kevin Kawai's 2011 CES blog:
"A newly "beefed up" CGEM DX gracefully occupied the adjacent corner of the booth and was equipped with an 11" EdgeHD OTA, larger counterweight bar/weights, CGE Pro style tripod and guidescope package with a DSLR camera attached. The CGEM DX has a load capacity of 50 lbs and comes with an upgraded motor driver chip."

Garry

DSC04234

DSC04249

Tiny
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/02/08

Re: New Celestron CGEM DX- 50lb capacity! new [Re: Wilki]
      #4318423 - 01/16/11 03:30 PM

Quote:

I like my CGEM as little as I've been able to use it. What kind of upsets me is that I waited for 7 months to finaly get my CGEM 11HD, and then find they have a more capable mount. Just received mine this last September, it would have been nice if they had offered this mount when they first rolled out the HD's. I would have offered up the difference for a slightly more weight capable mount.

Cant say i feel the same way. $900 is $900. With the most substantial difference being the tripod i'd just assume take my savings and buy my own.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: New Celestron CGEM DX- 50lb capacity! new [Re: Tiny]
      #4318791 - 01/16/11 06:45 PM

Just a couple comments on this thread:
--Celestron is the same company who puts a 10" newtonian on the CG5, a 6" refractor on the CG5 and a C11 on a CG5. They have a history of overloading mounts with combinations few people would choose to assemble.
--the needs of photography are different than visual observing--a visual observer can tolerate a little wiggle or a longer damping time. And don't forget an astrophotographer will often have a piggy-backed guide scope, heavy camera(s), and need much higher stiffness to resist the breeze, even if autoguiding.
--My friend Tom sold his G-11 mount, used with a C14, and replaced it with a Titan mount. His comment: "The G11 wasn't adequate for imaging using the C14. Periodic error went off the charts and guiding was iffy."
--Vixen's SXD rated capacity is 50 lbs with counterweights. They assume at least 15 lbs of counterweights, making the limit on that mount more like 35 lbs, more in line with the Japanese site's quote. And that's the limit--it's happier with less.

--if it isn't beefed up internally, it will still be better for the C11 in imaging than the original CGEM because of the new tripod, but will still take a lot of work to eliminate PE and gear backlash. Still, with those issues addressed, the mount should do fine visually with a C11 or M12 or a 5-6" refractor. But a C14? It might not break the mount, but how would you like a 10 second shimmy period? It's conceivable that would be the case. The C14/CGE combo had a several-second vibration period, and that was a much more robust mount.

Now, back to your regular scheduled program of speculation.

Edited by Starman1 (01/16/11 06:47 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
26 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13924

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics