Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
jimb1001
sage

Reged: 11/14/09

Loc: Florida
Re: New CG-5/AS Owner... What should I know about it? new [Re: rmollise]
      #4350496 - 01/30/11 12:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hello all,

I just bought a new CG-5 Advanced series ($599 shipped from OPT. Invoiced marked "Clearance" - fuel for the replacement speculators).

I'm familiar with the Celestron HC and its capabilities, so I'm fairly competent with that. I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are on load capabilites or the CG-5. Right now I have my old C-8 mounted on it. I also have a C-9.25 I was hoping to use on it as well.

Any ideas on what I should do to the mount for best performance? Any mods or recommended accessories?

I did replace the top piece with an ADM adapter and the ADM combination clamp (Losmandy and Vixen compatible) - the one that uses two spring-loaded screws and clamps to the 'scopes mounting bar with its entire length, rather than using just the pressure of the screw head.

Thanks,

Doug

1. Leave the mount alone unless it has a problem internally.

2. Spread the pins on the mount side connector to ensure good contact.

3. Always run with a good, fully charged battery.

I had power problems with mine. Spread the pins in the connector as Rod suggested and worked fine. Then read about switch problems so I bought an aftermarket power cable with its own switch on the cigarette lighter adapter. Now I leave the scope's switch on and toggle the power from the cable.
If that switch fails it will be easier to replace than the power switch on the mount.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmallen

Reged: 09/30/08

Loc: Michigan
Re: New CG-5/AS Owner... What should I know about it? new [Re: CarolG]
      #4350648 - 01/30/11 01:23 PM

Quote:

I replaced the stock mounting bracket with this adapter. It is rock solid and should hold the telescope securely.

I am considering buying the ADM Saddle Adapter for my CG5. I am not real crazy about the scratches/gouges I'm getting on my dovetail from the screws in the stock saddle. I don't see any installation instructions on the ADM website. How difficult is it to install?

tjay
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/03/07

Loc: just outside of Toronto
Re: New CG-5/AS Owner... What should I know about it? new [Re: rmallen]
      #4351419 - 01/30/11 07:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I replaced the stock mounting bracket with this adapter. It is rock solid and should hold the telescope securely.

I am considering buying the ADM Saddle Adapter for my CG5. I am not real crazy about the scratches/gouges I'm getting on my dovetail from the screws in the stock saddle. I don't see any installation instructions on the ADM website. How difficult is it to install?

I'm sure Anthony from ADM can answer this question. He provides great service before and after a sale.

I'm considering the same adapter too.

CarolG
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/16/06

Loc: Oklahoma
Re: New CG-5/AS Owner... What should I know about it? new [Re: tjay]
      #4351658 - 01/30/11 08:46 PM

The installation is very easy. I'm the kind of person who has to have almost 'plug and play' kind of things. The CG5 comes with a mounting adapter (the piece that accepts the CG5 included dovetail) that is attached to the mount with 3 screws. Simply unscrew those screws, and use those screws to attach the ADM adapter. The mounting adapter that comes with the CG5 is pushed in tightly, so you have to pull it out with a little bit of force. Once the ADM adapter is screwed down, just attach (with ADM supplied screws)whichever saddle plate you ordered. It took me all of 5 minutes to switch out. This really is a 'no brainer' installation!

rmallen

Reged: 09/30/08

Loc: Michigan
      #4351672 - 01/30/11 08:58 PM

Quote:

It took me all of 5 minutes to switch out. This really is a 'no brainer' installation!

Good to hear, thanks!

tjay
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/03/07

Loc: just outside of Toronto
      #4351698 - 01/30/11 09:15 PM

Quote:

The installation is very easy. I'm the kind of person who has to have almost 'plug and play' kind of things. The CG5 comes with a mounting adapter (the piece that accepts the CG5 included dovetail) that is attached to the mount with 3 screws. Simply unscrew those screws, and use those screws to attach the ADM adapter. The mounting adapter that comes with the CG5 is pushed in tightly, so you have to pull it out with a little bit of force. Once the ADM adapter is screwed down, just attach (with ADM supplied screws)whichever saddle plate you ordered. It took me all of 5 minutes to switch out. This really is a 'no brainer' installation!

Thanks Carol! I'll probably have to order one now...

blave

Reged: 08/11/09

Re: New CG-5/AS Owner... What should I know about it? new [Re: DXVictor]
      #4351862 - 01/30/11 10:56 PM

I have had one of these for a couple years, bought almost-new. Here are some general comments:

- just last week the power switch failed, costing me a night of observing. Fortunately I had read that this is a weak point of the mount so I took it apart and shorted the switch contacts together with soldered (large gauge) wire, and now just use the power socket as a "switch". My recommendation would be to leave the thirty-five cent switch "on" and plug/unplug for power control.

- The connectors on mine seem to be getting wonky. I get servo connect errors almost every time I take the mount out (at least this season) at some point. Fortunately I can press UNDO twice after an error, jiggle the cables, and try again. I have hit the connectors with contact cleaner with marginal results. This problem seems to've gotten worse over time and I still don't know where the problem is. (I use the Celestron add-on gizmo that allows PC control via some more ports - I'm not sure if the problem is in that but I suspect it's not.)

- Last week, after months of not using the mount, I took it out and did three successive alignments without getting good "gotos". However after a Factory Reset I had some of the best gotos I've had (i.e. several Messier and NGC objects were centered in my 80mm refractor/7mm Nagler EP after the go-to), over a wide swath of the sky. (2 Star Align, 1 Calibration Star, rough visual polar alignment through the mount's (optional) polar scope.) This happened to me at least once before so if things aren't working out, try the reset.

SO - I've had my share of problems but I still think the mount is a good value at its price point. At the moment I'm considering moving up to a CGEM but the weight aspect is putting me off - the AS-GT is pretty light and portable for what it can do. I have done some unguided and guided imaging with it with very satisfactory results.

Enjoy your new toy,

Dave B.
San Jose, CA

CarolG
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/16/06

Loc: Oklahoma
Re: New CG-5/AS Owner... What should I know about it? new [Re: tjay]
      #4351863 - 01/30/11 10:56 PM

The ADM adapter really is nice. With the spring loaded knobs on the saddle plate, it holds the scope very securely and is easy to loosen and take the scope off when desired. I'm very glad I added this upgrade.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
25 registered and 47 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1737

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics