Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
NewAstronomer
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/03/04

Loc: Northeast, PA U.S.A
Re: Buy a CGEM or wait for the CGEM DX new [Re: DLB242]
      #4353060 - 01/31/11 12:54 PM

Not just the tripod is better, but the tray , take a look at the pictures on Celestron's site. Looks very nice, big improvment and appears , key word appears, to site flush against the 2.75" legs. The legs also appear to have a better tip as well.

Lots of people here on the boards have taken an Atlas mount, and coupled with a G11 tripod or Super large (forget the name) Meade field tripod and have gotten great results. Celestron appears to be offering that model here for your out of the box.

The G-8 tripod is $450 new, G-11 $700 new, if you want to fold the legs its $1200...for the tripod...and you need a mounting plate for an Atlas, and the tray isn't included.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jeff55
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/14/05

Loc: Boston MA
Re: Buy a CGEM or wait for the CGEM DX new [Re: DLB242]
      #4355246 - 02/01/11 09:59 AM

I am running at about 38 pounds of hardware mounted on my CGEM. I'm strictly a visual observer and the mount has performed perfectly. I have 2 17 pound + 2 11 pound CW's on a 20 inch CW shaft form Criterion Machining.

Jeff55
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/14/05

Loc: Boston MA
Re: Buy a CGEM or wait for the CGEM DX new [Re: Jeff55]
      #4355249 - 02/01/11 10:00 AM Attachment (97 downloads)

Here is pic.

dhaval
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/21/08

Loc: Round Rock, TX
Re: Buy a CGEM or wait for the CGEM DX new [Re: Jeff55]
      #4355684 - 02/01/11 01:30 PM

How about the new iOptron iEQ45? That sounds like a lot of mount for roughly about the same price. I have never used iOptron before, so can't really comment on their products, but that looks like one good mount.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Buy a CGEM or wait for the CGEM DX new [Re: dhaval]
      #4356293 - 02/01/11 05:51 PM

Quote:

How about the new iOptron iEQ45? That sounds like a lot of mount for roughly about the same price. I have never used iOptron before, so can't really comment on their products, but that looks like one good mount.

There's a thread, a long thread on it on CN. Bottom-line? It's a nice mount if you need light weight. It will not equal the Atlas for payload or certainly the CGEM DX.

dhaval
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/21/08

Loc: Round Rock, TX
Re: Buy a CGEM or wait for the CGEM DX new [Re: rmollise]
      #4356448 - 02/01/11 06:56 PM

Quote:

There's a thread, a long thread on it on CN.

That is a long thread indeed - 34 pages. I wonder if they are ever going to make it an official review, surely deserves to be one.

Quote:

Bottom-line? It's a nice mount if you need light weight. It will not equal the Atlas for payload or certainly the CGEM DX.

Looking at the specs of the mount, it is rated at 45lbs - that is closer to the Atlas mount. That being said, the weight of the mount itself is 20lbs - a light weight mount that holds much - if something like that is possible!

All in all, it looks like a good mount and a decent buy (based on the long thread that's going on out there).

Dhaval

NewAstronomer
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/03/04

Loc: Northeast, PA U.S.A
Re: Buy a CGEM or wait for the CGEM DX new [Re: dhaval]
      #4356826 - 02/01/11 09:16 PM

The Eq45 looks veeery interesting...need to see reviews of other samples, but that single review (great thread) makes it promising.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
20 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3856

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics