Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
stevethatsmyname
sage

Reged: 12/10/09

CGEM-DX... any thoughts?
      #4403678 - 02/22/11 12:13 PM

It appears that Celestron has announced an upgraded CGEM-DX mount to fill the gap between CGEM and CGE Pro.

Looks like the only real difference is a larger tripod, "beefier motors" (no idea how much beefier) and a thicker counterweight shaft. With this they've rated it at 50 lbs, 10 lbs higher than the regular CGEM.

Not really sure if I really buy the extra 10 pounds being worth an extra $500 of purchase price. Although it could be rated conservatively. They do claim that it can mount the 14 and the edge 14. But I am also a bit skeptical about just how comfortably they will be mounted.

I think I'll have to wait and see how this pans out.

EDIT: Link http://www.celestron.com/c3/product.php?CatID=16&ProdID=761

Edited by stevethatsmyname (02/22/11 12:17 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Helcarexe
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/24/10

Loc: Des Moines, Iowa
Re: CGEM-DX... any thoughts? new [Re: stevethatsmyname]
      #4403855 - 02/22/11 01:51 PM

I saw that on their website about a month ago. The first thought that went through my head was a mount that could be used for AP with a larger 150mm refractor. But a mount like that could be used for any large 8-12" reflector or as they list up to a 14" SCT.
But will there be a time period of working out the bugs or will it work right out of the gate. That is something for us to wait and see.

TXROADRUNNER

Reged: 05/20/09

#4403908 - 02/22/11 02:19 PM

Check out the video on youtube.

Youtube - CGEM DX

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #4403941 - 02/22/11 02:34 PM

Quote:

"beefier motors" (no idea how much beefier)

Actually its a new motor driver chip, allowing more power to the motors to increase torque...not new motors.

skybsd
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/01/08

#4403967 - 02/22/11 02:48 PM

Quote:

Not really sure if I really buy the extra 10 pounds being worth an extra $500 of purchase price.

Well.., that's the trick question, isn't it

Personally, I figure its a slick play by Celestron to provide folks with an option above the CGEM / Atlas payload at a price that is still well below that of the Losmandy G11 - by some margin, to boot.

Regards,

skybsd

Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Re: CGEM-DX... any thoughts? new [Re: skybsd]
      #4404224 - 02/22/11 04:44 PM

If it can carry the C14 as well as the regular CGEM carries the C11 then it is definitely worth an extra $500 IMO.

skybsd
Post Laureate

Re: CGEM-DX... any thoughts? new [Re: Lane]
      #4404256 - 02/22/11 04:59 PM

Well.., Which C14 is it supposed to be able to carry?

The Edge-14 bare optical tube weighs 45lbs - if you swap out the dovetail for the Losmandy DC-14, you add 3.75lbs.

There's more stuff (dewshield, diagonal, eyepieces, finder, etc) to be added in order to get to a usable instrument - each of which not only adds up in literal weight, but compounded by moment arm overheads as well.

I can see the temptation, but would caution against literally ignoring the math involved.

Regards,

skybsd

drksky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/01/09

Loc: Bloomington, IL
Re: CGEM-DX... any thoughts? new [Re: skybsd]
      #4404318 - 02/22/11 05:24 PM

Personally, I think it's an attempt to not lose market share to Losmandy, et. al. because they killed off the CGE. While I think the beefier tripod will provide more stability, the mount mechanics are the same and therefore the capacity is not really increased.

$600 marketing ploy.

skybsd
Post Laureate

Re: CGEM-DX... any thoughts? new [Re: drksky]
      #4404400 - 02/22/11 06:09 PM

Well.., to be fair - this isn't the first mount to get this makeover.

Remember the SkyWatcher NEQ6 mount?

Regards,

skybsd

jason_milani
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/03/04

Loc: Northeast Ohio
Re: CGEM-DX... any thoughts? new [Re: Lane]
      #4404430 - 02/22/11 06:27 PM

Quote:

If it can carry the C14 as well as the regular CGEM carries the C11 then it is definitely worth an extra $500 IMO.

It won't.

akua

Reged: 03/01/06

Re: CGEM-DX... any thoughts? new [Re: jason_milani]
      #4404459 - 02/22/11 06:43 PM

"Personally, I figure its a slick play by Celestron to provide folks with an option above the CGEM / Atlas payload at a price that is still well below that of the Losmandy G11 - by some margin, to boot."

That margin is not really much considering the G11 is in a different class in precision and construction.
I've decided to keep my CGEM that came with my C11Edge scope because I can still carry it with the tripod attached.
I don't think it is doable with the DX with the beefier tripod.
I had a CGE and now I have a G11 and I think the later one is a much better mount specially with the new Gemini2 computer.

Edited by akua (02/22/11 06:44 PM)

Fred1
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/19/07

Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur
      #4404935 - 02/22/11 10:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It won't.

I tend to agree. Ten lbs more capacity for at least 16 lbs more scope (my 11" HD weighed in at 29.7 lbs w/dovetail). But perhaps "C" will have a 14"HD set up on a CGEM DX at NEAF for a look-see in April.

stevethatsmyname
sage

Re: CGEM-DX... any thoughts? new [Re: akua]
      #4404942 - 02/22/11 10:49 PM

Quote:

I had a CGE and now I have a G11 and I think the later one is a much better mount specially with the new Gemini2 computer.

Good to know, thanks for the input!

This does seem to be the general opinion on these boards (of the quality of the Losmandy mounts) so I will definitely be considering the G11 for my next mount purchase.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#4405305 - 02/23/11 05:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

It won't.

Whew...I'm glad to see a posting from somebody who has used the DX...uhhh...you _have_ used it, right?

jason_milani
Carpal Tunnel

Re: CGEM-DX... any thoughts? new [Re: rmollise]
      #4405413 - 02/23/11 07:53 AM

OK lets put it this way then: Take a standard CGEM, install a Losmandy saddle and stick it on a concrete pier. That's basically a CGEM-DX (in fact probably sturdier). Now stick a C-14 on it. See how it wobbles. Oh, i forgot about the thicker counterweight shaft....ooh, THAT's gonna make a big difference in carrying capacity. My mistake.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #4405474 - 02/23/11 08:34 AM

OK, so you haven't used one.

-Rich

jason_milani
Carpal Tunnel

Re: CGEM-DX... any thoughts? new [Re: Starhawk]
      #4405498 - 02/23/11 08:43 AM

No, i have not. I do, however have a C-14 on a CGE on a concrete pier. I know what that is like. If the CGEM-DX matches the stability of that setup or comes close, i'll eat my words right here, then i'll promptly go out and purchase one!

The OP asked for opinions on a yet-to-be-released mount. I gave mine. BTW, i'm currently setting up my EQ-3-DX on a 3" legged tripod so i can mount my C-9.25 to it.

Edited by jason_milani (02/23/11 11:19 AM)

stevethatsmyname
sage

#4405862 - 02/23/11 12:04 PM

Yes I did ask for opinions, I also am quite skeptical that it will be able to sturdily hold a C14. Celestron does seem pretty convinced, though, that the C14 CGEM-DX will be a hit. If I were to get one of their 'combos' it would most likely be the 11 or the edge11

On this vein, does anyone know how well a Losmandy G8 w/ Gemini would hold up under a C11? The CGEM-DX does seem to be a similar price point but the losmandy looks nicer and seems to have better reviews.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #4405881 - 02/23/11 12:10 PM

There is a new Yahoo group for the CGEM DX. In order to avoid rampant speculation with no facts to back it up (which has been a bit of an issue with this mount), the group will not become officially active until after the mount is released to the public or is otherwise made available for actual testing. However, after that time, I hope that those people who obtain the mount will join up to let us all know what they find.

t.r.
Post Laureate

#4405966 - 02/23/11 12:44 PM

The "new" non-edge C14's reportedly 53#...how is it gonna ride on a mount rated for 50# with accessories added?!?! Perhaps an older 45# C14 maybe, but not one with the heavier rear cell IMO. Linky...

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4403233/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1#Post4405738

Edited by t.r. (02/23/11 12:47 PM)

rmollise
Postmaster

#4406596 - 02/23/11 05:40 PM

Quote:

OK lets put it this way then: Take a standard CGEM, install a Losmandy saddle and stick it on a concrete pier. That's basically a CGEM-DX (in fact probably sturdier). Now stick a C-14 on it. See how it wobbles. Oh, i forgot about the thicker counterweight shaft....ooh, THAT's gonna make a big difference in carrying capacity. My mistake.

IOW: "I haven't used one or even fully read the product specs."

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: CGEM-DX... any thoughts? new [Re: t.r.]
      #4406601 - 02/23/11 05:42 PM

Quote:

The "new" non-edge C14's reportedly 53#...how is it gonna ride on a mount rated for 50# with accessories added?!?! Perhaps an older 45# C14 maybe, but not one with the heavier rear cell IMO. Linky...

"Reportedly" by Celestron? I don't think so.

t.r.
Post Laureate

#4406985 - 02/23/11 08:24 PM

No, I didn't state by Celestron...if you follow the link I provided another CN member weighed his new C14, bare ota, at 52#, no finderscope, no plate, I was being conservative calling it 53# rigged for observing.YMMV.

Edited by t.r. (02/23/11 08:25 PM)

jason_milani
Carpal Tunnel

#4407020 - 02/23/11 08:43 PM

Well, Celestron "reports" the CGEM-DX at 86 lbs. total with the tripod and they also "report" that the CGEM-DX with Edge HD 14" OTA at 185 lbs.

I guess the Edge HD 14" IS a lot heavier than any of us thought, right around 99 lbs if my math is correct.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
      #4407143 - 02/23/11 09:48 PM

Maybe the 2 22lb counter weights have something to do with that 99lbs!

Stan

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: CGEM-DX... any thoughts? new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #4407796 - 02/24/11 08:34 AM

Sorry, OP. Wild conjecture and little else, here. For what it's worth, it would seem this is similar in concept to having the Vixen GP and the Vixen GP-D2 uprated mount, though it has a lot of commonality with the smaller one. In practical terms, most movement for a C-14 will either be in the tripod or the mirror.

For what it I'd worth, the 53# number would seem to be suspect since it is 8# higher than the weight for an Edge 14, and was produced by putting the edge back bucket on the current C14, with simple mirror locks.

-Rich

jason_milani
Carpal Tunnel

Re: CGEM-DX... any thoughts? new [Re: Starhawk]
      #4407883 - 02/24/11 09:29 AM

Actually it's not wild conjecture at all, just edjucated guesses based upon prior experience with similar astronomy equipment. Also, the mirror on the C-14 may cause image shift but it's not going to affect the stability of the mount.
The 99 lb. comment was a joke. All one has to do is a little research. The Celestron site lists the 14" EdgeHD at 46 lbs. and the standard C-14 at 45 lbs.

akua

#4407955 - 02/24/11 10:11 AM

My C11 Edge weights 31.5lb with only the front cap and the included dovetail. This compared with 27.5lb specification from Celestron. BTW the corrector cap weights around 14oz.

jason_milani
Carpal Tunnel

#4408058 - 02/24/11 10:54 AM

Then maybe the post about the 53 lb. weight for the 14" is correct. I wouldn't doubt it.

nemo129
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/03/10

Loc: WMass
      #4409107 - 02/24/11 07:35 PM

I do not think Celestron includes the weight of the dovetail bar or scope caps in the listed specs. It might look a bit misleading at first glance, but they do say OTA weight...so technically....

Jay Wise
sage

Reged: 11/21/08

Loc: Near Williamsburg VA
Re: CGEM-DX... any thoughts? new [Re: nemo129]
      #4411171 - 02/25/11 04:56 PM

High Point just called and said they would be shipping DX's next week. What the heck, I'm going to give it a rip.

JayW

nemo129
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/03/10

Loc: WMass
Re: CGEM-DX... any thoughts? new [Re: Jay Wise]
      #4411235 - 02/25/11 05:36 PM

Excellent, looking forward to your thoughts on the mount when you get it!

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #4411252 - 02/25/11 05:44 PM

Quote:

High Point just called and said they would be shipping DX's next week. What the heck, I'm going to give it a rip.

JayW

That's great. Please join the Yahoo CGEM DX group when you get a chance and let us know what you think over there as well.

nofxrx
Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Palm Bay,Florida
      #4411256 - 02/25/11 05:47 PM

I will be very interested to see/hear your reports, Jay!

RE: "conjecture,etc" being in this thread, get over it..
They literally slapped a FEW upgrades to the CGEM, and it magically can hold a C14? I dont think so.
Have I used the DX, no. I shouldnt have to to voice my opinion, and for anyone to say "have you used one?" is complete ignorance as the post/entire thread IS HYPOTHETICAL at this point...
Get over yourselves...sheesh.
(in case you do not understand what that word means:
"Hypothetical: involving ideas or possibilities: existing as or involving something that exists as an unproven idea, theory, or posssibility..
- assumed for sake of argument: assumed or proposed for further investigation")

I agree with Jason.It is a $600 marketing ploy. They would have done MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH better if they had just kept the CGE. THAT IS the answer to "thier issue of not having a mid level mount"..as the product manager for "C" so elegantly put it in that video!
And IMHO, the CGE is not a "mid level mount" IF the CGEM DX is going to be considered a mid level mount. In that case, my CGE on my concrete pier is a freakin CGE-PRO...come on guys..

Edited by nofxrx (02/25/11 05:48 PM)

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: CGEM-DX... any thoughts? new [Re: nofxrx]
      #4411387 - 02/25/11 06:38 PM

Quote:

II agree with Jason.It is a $600 marketing ploy. They would have done MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH better if they had just kept the CGE. THAT IS the answer to "thier issue of not having a mid level mount"..as the product manager for "C" so elegantly put it in that video!
And IMHO, the CGE is not a "mid level mount" IF the CGEM DX is going to be considered a mid level mount. In that case, my CGE on my concrete pier is a freakin CGE-PRO...come on guys..

The CGE is a NIIIIIIICE mount.

But hardly perfect and not without its share of problems. I also doubt people would be willing to pay what Celestron would have to charge to continue production.

nofxrx
Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Palm Bay,Florida
      #4411590 - 02/25/11 08:34 PM

Completely agreed on that(and not just the CGE, but the CGEM and PRO(especially), and other mounts from other manufacturers!)!!I was just trying to stress the point that everything about this mount is purely theoretical until someone actually has one and tests it out..and if we followed that logic that "C" has wth the DX, I should be able to sell my pier mounted CGE as at least a CGE-DX!!LOL
But wait, first I need to have a new CW shaft made that is 6-8" longer so that it can handle 75#!!

jason_milani
Carpal Tunnel

#4411814 - 02/25/11 11:07 PM

I would not have had an issue with Celestron coming out with the DX as an upgraded CGEM (as Vixen has done with their mounts) if they didn't tout it carrying a C-14. That's the ONLY issue i have with it since it's NOT a replacement for the CGE. If they would've said something on the order of "For the imager with our C-11 and smaller cats the CGEM-DX features upgraded features such as....."

rmollise
Postmaster

#4411852 - 02/25/11 11:36 PM

Quote:

first I need to have a new CW shaft made that is 6-8" longer so that it can handle 75#!!

You have read Celestron's specs on the mount, right?

rmollise
Postmaster

#4411856 - 02/25/11 11:38 PM

Quote:

I would not have had an issue with Celestron coming out with the DX as an upgraded CGEM (as Vixen has done with their mounts) if they didn't tout it carrying a C-14. That's the ONLY issue i have with it since it's NOT a replacement for the CGE. If they would've said something on the order of "For the imager with our C-11 and smaller cats the CGEM-DX features upgraded features such as....."

OK...it can't carry a C14 because? The CGEM head is actually larger than that of the CGE.

BlueGrass
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/25/09

Loc: Wasatch Front, UT
      #4411885 - 02/25/11 11:54 PM

Don't the mounts bearings and motors have a bigger role to play than just size alone?

jason_milani
Carpal Tunnel

#4411973 - 02/26/11 12:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

OK...it can't carry a C14 because? The CGEM head is actually larger than that of the CGE.

C'mon Rod. The head is larger because the electronics are located there. On the CGE they're in the pier. You_know_that.

akua

Re: CGEM-DX... any thoughts? new [Re: BlueGrass]
      #4411993 - 02/26/11 01:10 AM

"But hardly perfect and not without its share of problems. I also doubt people would be willing to pay what Celestron would have to charge to continue production."

How can Losmandy still offers G11 with new Gemini 2 for the same price that has been selling for many years (and still made in the USA) ?

The G11 is a much nicer mount than the CGE IMHO.

jason_milani
Carpal Tunnel

#4412052 - 02/26/11 01:44 AM

Quote:

"But hardly perfect and not without its share of problems. I also doubt people would be willing to pay what Celestron would have to charge to continue production."

How can Losmandy still offers G11 with new Gemini 2 for the same price that has been selling for many years (and still made in the USA) ?

The G11 is a much nicer mount than the CGE IMHO.

I agree.
They're making everything in China now so with the reduced labor costs there is no reason they couldn't manufacture the original CGE over there and sell it here for 3 grand.

I'm not against them using the CGEM as a platform and improving/adding upon it. But they are marketing it as a replacement for the CGE which it is not. Period.

skybsd
Post Laureate

#4412218 - 02/26/11 04:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

first I need to have a new CW shaft made that is 6-8" longer so that it can handle 75#!!

You have read Celestron's specs on the mount, right?

65lbs..., as it always was..,

Regards,

skybsd

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: CGEM-DX... any thoughts? new [Re: BlueGrass]
      #4412395 - 02/26/11 08:45 AM

Quote:

Don't the mounts bearings and motors have a bigger role to play than just size alone?

They have a role to play. But will the DX be worse than or better than the CGE? That will only become clear when somebody actually USES one.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
      #4412506 - 02/26/11 10:01 AM

Quote:

But they are marketing it as a replacement for the CGE which it is not.

I have not heard any marketing statement that this was replacement for the CGE. They just said that the CGE left a gap between the CGEM and CGE-Pro which this mount now fills.

That's a big gap and can be filled in many ways. The "new" mount to fill that gap could be closer to one end than the other. But it's not necessarily designed to be a replacement for the CGE ... just a mount which gets a user farther up the capacity scale without the huge jump in cost to the CGE Pro.

-Dan

mistyridge
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/28/05

Loc: Loomis, CA
Re: CGEM-DX... any thoughts? new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #4412866 - 02/26/11 12:39 PM

The CGEM-DX is not a replacement for the CGE but IMO a stopgap until the popular CGE resumes production at a Chinese factory.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: CGEM-DX... any thoughts? new [Re: mistyridge]
      #4413119 - 02/26/11 02:29 PM

Quote:

The CGEM-DX is not a replacement for the CGE but IMO a stopgap until the popular CGE resumes production at a Chinese factory.

The chance of that happening? IMHO slim to none. Unless you have some information to the contrary, I'd say the CGE is dead. It's an old design with some problems, and expensive to produce, even in China.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #4413537 - 02/26/11 06:41 PM

"I also doubt people would be willing to pay what Celestron would have to charge to continue production..."

...in California, USA, one of the most expensive places to do business on Earth.

Now instead of the CGEM and CGE Pro, what if they (a) updated the CGE to cure its poor RA and Dec cable socket/board design, and (b) set up shop manufacturing improved/updated CGEs in one of the lowest cost places to do business on Earth?

Maybe offer an improved CGE with CGE capacity for a *lower* price than when the mount was made in the US? A more reliable, modestly updated, $2000 CGE could have become *the* mount for anyone unable or unwilling to pay the Tak or A-P price for like capacity. Probably woulda been the end 'o Losmandy too, which would have helped Celestron's marketshare numbers in the long term.

While I wouldn't call the CGEM DX a "marketing ploy" I would say that it's somewhat ill conceived. One of the nicest things about Atlas-class mounts is decent portability for their capacity. The CGEM is simply the combination of a 45# capacity EQ head with a tripod designed for a 90# capacity mount. The problem with this approach is that the otherwise transport friendly CGEM becomes a CGE-class pain in the tail to schlep around, but without the reward of the CGE's capacity. The tripod alone weighs 40#. Dat's just nutz.

Also, I don't think the dimensions of the CGEM head vs. the CGE head are as relevant as the difference in the mass of those two heads. I haven't put my mount heads on a scale yet, but SOTP I suspect the CGE head has a lot heavier metal. At least that's what my back tells me when I set it up.

Regards,

Jim

Edited by jrbarnett (02/26/11 06:50 PM)

Garry

Reged: 10/01/06

Re: CGEM-DX... any thoughts? new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #4413841 - 02/26/11 09:35 PM

Jim,
Pardon my ignorance RE:SOTP, but I went over to Wikipedia to find out what it stood for .

In David Letterman style here is the Top Ten List:

#10. Saturn Orbiter/Titan Probe

#9. State of the Planet

#8. Shadows of the Past

#7. Sum of the Parts

#6. Sounds Of The Past

#5. Sitting on the pot

#4. Sins Of The Past

#3. Scared of the Police

#2. Sex Offender Treatment Program

#1. Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

Now from the_ seat of the pants_ I know that none of the above are correct.

Garry

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: CGEM-DX... any thoughts? new [Re: Garry]
      #4414033 - 02/26/11 11:36 PM

"Seat of the Pants"

Regards,

Jim

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: CGEM-DX... any thoughts? new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #4414556 - 02/27/11 10:05 AM

Quote:

"I also doubt people would be willing to pay what Celestron would have to charge to continue production..."

...in California, USA, one of the most expensive places to do business on Earth.

Now instead of the CGEM and CGE Pro, what if they (a) updated the CGE to cure its poor RA and Dec cable socket/board design, and (b) set up shop manufacturing improved/updated CGEs in one of the lowest cost places to do business on Earth?

Maybe offer an improved CGE with CGE capacity for a *lower* price than when the mount was made in the US? A more reliable, modestly updated, $2000 CGE could have become *the* mount for anyone unable or unwilling to pay the Tak or A-P price for like capacity. Probably woulda been the end 'o Losmandy too, which would have helped Celestron's marketshare numbers in the long term.

While I wouldn't call the CGEM DX a "marketing ploy" I would say that it's somewhat ill conceived. One of the nicest things about Atlas-class mounts is decent portability for their capacity. The CGEM is simply the combination of a 45# capacity EQ head with a tripod designed for a 90# capacity mount. The problem with this approach is that the otherwise transport friendly CGEM becomes a CGE-class pain in the tail to schlep around, but without the reward of the CGE's capacity. The tripod alone weighs 40#. Dat's just nutz.

Also, I don't think the dimensions of the CGEM head vs. the CGE head are as relevant as the difference in the mass of those two heads. I haven't put my mount heads on a scale yet, but SOTP I suspect the CGE head has a lot heavier metal. At least that's what my back tells me when I set it up.

Regards,

Jim

We'll know its "ill conceived" when it's in the hands of consumers. Till then neither you nor I know how it will be received or how well it will work. One thing I do know...the CGE is history. Would it have been nice to see a CGE II for about the same price as the original? One with internal cabling and other improvements and fewer faux pas? Yes.

Have you hefted a CGE Pro? The problem for us old geezers ain't the tripod. Or at least not only the tripod.

Destrehan Dave

Reged: 12/01/05

Loc: Destrehan, LA
      #4421709 - 03/02/11 03:09 PM

Mine is on its way. I purchased it with the following assumptions:

1) It's not the ultimate mount. I'd really like a Paramount MX, but I can't afford it.

2) I won't get a whole lot of money by selling my existing CGEM for under $1,000.

3) I don't have the same expectation of quality coming from Celestron that I would if I could afford a TEC scope from YURI.

4) It might have problems, but at least my good buddy Dean over at S*@&!%0_@ was nice enought to give it a once over before shipping it to me,

5) If I were King Celestron for a day, I might have taken a different approach by offering an electronics and tripod update option, and would have engineered some different 'innards' and sold it for around $2,500.

All that being said, I can't wait for it to get here. I'm certain it will perform well for me and my humble 5" refractor.

I'll let you know how well it works out soon..

Destrehan Dave

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
15 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7434

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics