Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
dawziecat
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: Rural Nova Scotia
Re: My Losmondy G-11 Gemini 2 has arrived. . . new [Re: Daniel Mounsey]
      #4413245 - 02/26/11 03:35 PM Attachment (69 downloads)

Quote:

That's nice but ironic you took pictures of everything else but one of the most interesting things that seperates the G2 from the G1 and that's the hand box.

Here it is . . .

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
drksky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/01/09

Loc: Bloomington, IL
Re: My Losmondy G-11 Gemini 2 has arrived. . . new [Re: dawziecat]
      #4413336 - 02/26/11 04:34 PM

I really like that they put the tactile buttons on the back.

Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
Re: My Losmondy G-11 Gemini 2 has arrived. . . new [Re: lightyear44]
      #4413451 - 02/26/11 05:46 PM

Quote:

To answer your hand-controller question, Terry, I use heavy-duty velcro & attatch it to a tripod leg. Same with my gps, and dew controller. Even my A/C converter for my DSLR camera. That velcro is as handy as ductape, but more attractive. -David.

I'd recommend putting the hook surface on the tripod leg. If it is on the hand controller it tends to snag sweaters and other fabrics. I had to purchase a very nice sweater for a woman after my hand controller snagged and pulled her sweater when she was using the scope at a public viewing session. Cost me several hundred smackers.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #4414838 - 02/27/11 12:54 PM

Quote:

Thanks, we have the head oriented correctly now.

Balance Issue: Pretty good on RA axis with 21 lb CW all the way out on the shaft.
Not so good in dec. Even with my lightest EP the OTA is back heavy and I do not have the CWs for the sliding rod atop the C11 with me here in FL. They are back home in NS. Is this a serious issue for the dec motor in casual observing? I don't want to busticate anything before I even get started.

What are Gemini users doing as per a shelf or clip to rest their HCs while at the scope?

Reading through the Quick Start Guide for starting Gemini 2 up:
Long, lat and time zone entries on HC at startup: Are these in decimal or minute notation?

Your OTA counterwieght system was designed for when the OTA was on a fork mount where the center of gravity of the OTA was closer to the center line of the OTA). Placing CWs up on the top of the OTA will not be the most stable of setups. You would probably be better off doing what I do and attaching a counterweight to the dovetail under the OTA. This will lower the overall center of gravity and should be easier to balance in the long run since it places the wieght closer to the saddle and the axis of rotation. Some off balace is OK here but you don't want a lot. In addition, it can be nice to have the OTA a little farther back in the saddle. I usually find that a one or two pound wieght is all that is needed to do the trick.

dawziecat
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: Rural Nova Scotia
Re: My Losmondy G-11 Gemini 2 has arrived. . . new [Re: EFT]
      #4415059 - 02/27/11 02:48 PM

Thanks for the suggestions about my dec balance issue. In the interim I have removed a safety screw on the scope dovetail bar. Not real happy to do that but it allows me to slide the OTA far enough up the mount saddle plate to achieve balance.

On a light note . . .not meant to sound snippy but, about this whole CW thing: I am not sure which depresses me more:
1/ That I need an additional 21 lb Losmondy dead weight that costs another $100 plus (non-negligible) shipping , or . . .

2/ I should discard the Losmondy CW outright and order two 23 lb stainless steel- brass bushinged wonders from Casady for $400 plus (non-negligible) shipping!

These are counterweights for crying out loud! Not jewelry! Are we nuts?? Why can't we use barbell weights?

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #4415140 - 02/27/11 03:26 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions about my dec balance issue. In the interim I have removed a safety screw on the scope dovetail bar. Not real happy to do that but it allows me to slide the OTA far enough up the mount saddle plate to achieve balance.

On a light note . . .not meant to sound snippy but, about this whole CW thing: I am not sure which depresses me more:
1/ That I need an additional 21 lb Losmondy dead weight that costs another $100 plus (non-negligible) shipping , or . . .

2/ I should discard the Losmondy CW outright and order two 23 lb stainless steel- brass bushinged wonders from Casady for $400 plus (non-negligible) shipping!

These are counterweights for crying out loud! Not jewelry! Are we nuts?? Why can't we use barbell weights?

Actually, I think that there are some people out there who use barbell weights. There might even be someone out there who sells a stop for securing them on the bar but I can't remember where I saw those. They just need to have the correct ID and if you sandwhich them between two other wieghts that have the ability to attach to the counterweight bar then you are good to go. It is amazing how much one big chunck of steel can cost. Of course, some of them are just about as pretty as jewelry for your mount. Bling for your mount. My teenage daughter would love that.

rsbfoto
sage

Reged: 06/10/06

#4415157 - 02/27/11 03:34 PM

Hi,

You need an additional CW because of the mounted scope. You can spare the US $ 100.00 if you mount a lighter scope on it

Be happy you bought a Losmandy mount. They come at least already with ONE CW. Other mounts come with ZERO CW

You are right. Casidy counterweights just because they look nicer

What if the CW shaft gets a bit marred by the CW ? We use the mounts for imaging or observing the night sky OK other buy a mount for observing it

Of course you can use Barbell weights but so far I guessw there are no Barbell weights with an inner diamater of 1.25" and the other question is how to fix them on the shaft so they do not slip on it. You will need tog et to a machine shop and adapt them to the shaft.

Keep in mind that the fixing screw of the Losmandy CW has a plastic insert on the tip so it does not scratch the CW shaft.

akua

Reged: 03/01/06

Re: My Losmondy G-11 Gemini 2 has arrived. . . new [Re: rsbfoto]
      #4415230 - 02/27/11 04:13 PM

"Keep in mind that the fixing screw of the Losmandy CW has a plastic insert on the tip so it does not scratch the CW shaft."
The scratches don't come from the set screw, it is the rough finish in the interior that causes the scratches when you move counterweight.
The Casady CWs use brass pistons to push against the CW bar so they are easier to make fine adjustment as you you don't have to hold CW in place firmly as the tip of pison does not rotate against the CW bar.
The Casady CWs are well after sought in the use market and they fetches very close to their selling prices.

lawrie
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/31/06

Loc: Okanagan Valley
Re: My Losmondy G-11 Gemini 2 has arrived. . . new [Re: bradisback]
      #4415454 - 02/27/11 05:47 PM

Quote:

Yes, the control panel must be under the polar finder
like this:

Good fun!!!
Stef

Why?

drksky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/01/09

Loc: Bloomington, IL
Re: My Losmondy G-11 Gemini 2 has arrived. . . new [Re: lawrie]
      #4415519 - 02/27/11 06:11 PM

I believe it has to do with the cable lengths. If on the left, then the Dec cable doesn't reach. If on the right, the RA cable doesn't reach (or is very taut).

lawrie
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/31/06

Loc: Okanagan Valley
Re: My Losmondy G-11 Gemini 2 has arrived. . . new [Re: drksky]
      #4416122 - 02/27/11 11:15 PM

I was thinking of my mount, where I have the Gemini mounted just below the R/A motor, but it's on a pier with the pier adapter.
I think the Gemini ends up below the polar scope when you use a tripod and have one leg below the counterweight bar, as you should do, for stability.
The only cable that moves is the Dec cable, when the mount moves in R/A.

bradisback

Reged: 01/05/10

Re: My Losmondy G-11 Gemini 2 has arrived. . . new [Re: lawrie]
      #4416367 - 02/28/11 05:33 AM

No, keep the 21 lbs.
They sent me for free, but it is too little ... With 2x21 is perfect!

Stef

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
15 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2888

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics