Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
j.w.white
sage

Reged: 07/18/09

Re: What can I say - A Mach1 and Eagle new [Re: AstroGabe]
      #4427309 - 03/05/11 04:38 AM

That's VERY nice George! Having it all in one package like that has to be pretty satisfying. Like Tony, I'm on the Spring list for notification - any dithering between the Mach1 and G11-G2 might have just gone away though (at least until I look into my wallet when the moment of truth arrives!).

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
drksky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/01/09

Loc: Bloomington, IL
Re: What can I say - A Mach1 and Eagle new [Re: j.w.white]
      #4427459 - 03/05/11 08:33 AM

My only fear is that I'll be able to afford the mount head, but nothing else.

Adam E
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/29/09

Loc: Edgewood, NM
Re: What can I say - A Mach1 and Eagle new [Re: BlueGrass]
      #4427606 - 03/05/11 10:20 AM

Congrats George! I can't wait to see your results once your skies clear, and I'm really looking forward to hearing your impressions with the mount in use. Kind of like reading a Ferrari test report in a car mag; we all probably know what it's going to say, but we still like to read it and dream...

LLEEGE
True Blue

Reged: 03/03/05

Loc: Cloud-chester,NY
Re: What can I say - A Mach1 and Eagle new [Re: drksky]
      #4427651 - 03/05/11 10:40 AM

Quote:

The Mach1 will sit nicely on a Meade, Losmandy or Celestron tripod. I've used my 1200 on a Meade GFT with not issues.

Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
Re: What can I say - A Mach1 and Eagle new [Re: LLEEGE]
      #4427679 - 03/05/11 10:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The Mach1 will sit nicely on a Meade, Losmandy or Celestron tripod. I've used my 1200 on a Meade GFT with not issues.

I have mine on a wood tripod. Eagle would be nice but I'm not sure even with the extension it is high enough for a visual guy like me.

mewmartigan
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/02/08

#4427773 - 03/05/11 11:38 AM

Quote:

Might still be worth it to get the mount and let it sit for a few months while you collect the other stuff. Pass on the mount and it will be another year wait....

I plan on getting one if my name comes up and I am torn between the AP portable pier, the Rob Miller tripods on Astromart or the Eagle. I would love the Eagle but its more than twice the cost of the other options.

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: What can I say - A Mach1 and Eagle new [Re: mewmartigan]
      #4427799 - 03/05/11 11:53 AM

Paul, I'm 6'2" tall and my Mach1/Eagle/8" Extension places the C11 and 130GT at just the right height for both sitting observation at the zenith and standing up to about 70 degrees elevation.

BlueGrass
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/25/09

Loc: Wasatch Front, UT
      #4427834 - 03/05/11 12:07 PM

John, except for another counterweight or two I'll need for balancing my C8 setup or my 106LE and 65Q setup, everything was there. It came with a 10 and 5lb weight and that is enough to balance the setup (106LE, 8300C, 9x50 guider) pictured above. That's my basic AP setup I was using last summer. But with a significantly more stable and accurate platform now, I really want to get back to imaging with my C8 @ F10 since galaxy season is here. I know, it doesn't have RC class performance, but you can get some decent images.

Tony, when I was putting together my cost breakdown last month for what a basic Mach1 package with portable pier would cost, it came to just around $7k. A bit higher if you go the Losmandy tripod / adapter route. That figure was for the basement configuration with 15lbs of CWs. If you can find a pier / tripod, counterweights etc. in the classifieds, you can bring that figure down a few hundred.

Honestly, I hadn't planned on buying a setup like this, especially at the AP list prices. I just couldn't justify it to myself, given my current level of knowledge and imaging skills. Even up to yesterday morning, I was waffling. But that changed when Mark and I unloaded his van and began to set it up for basic power up and slew tests. The first thing that crossed my mind as we assembled it was this was designed for serious use. This is not meant as a slam against CGEM / Atlas class mounts as they're designed and manufactured to meet a certain price point. Many folks use them and they work fine... but there is a huge difference you feel immediately when you physically assemble, adjust and operate this mount.

There a few things in which you have to change your way of thinking. The balancing, clutches, and alignment are the first that go. The Mach1 axis are a bit stiff and you'll probably never achieve a perfect balance. It doesn't matter though since it can handle a slight imbalance without problems. The RA / DEC clutches are adjusted with a 3 point adjustment system. You have to adjust all three points as you tighten or loosen them for balancing or when pushing the OTA during the start-up polar / 2 star alignments. Since I haven't had any sky time yet, I can't report much more since I'm still learning the operation of the handset. One thing to keep in mind, these mounts were designed foremost for AP.

BlueGrass
Carpal Tunnel

Re: What can I say - A Mach1 and Eagle new [Re: Adam E]
      #4427921 - 03/05/11 12:46 PM

Adam,
Hopefully next week will be first light. Wednesday's forecast to be 'mostly clear' and I'll see if I can get Thursday off since I'll probably be out to the wee hours if the weather holds. Just have to spend the weekend, re-doing my gear and case configurations. It'll have to ride in a lowly foam filled tote until I can afford a nice Pelican .... It is portable, thank goodness.

I'm glad to see other Mach1 owners post their experiences and suggestions, for those looking to get a Mach1 from this year's production run. I'm emailing AP this week and releasing my slot on the notification list when I ask them to transfer ownership. 1+ for those on the list...

t.r.
Post Laureate

#4428051 - 03/05/11 01:48 PM

...That will be 2+, as I did the same and bought used just before you did. I too am waiting for "first" light. I'm coming from an ASGT and CGEM for visual only. I'll take you up on the invitation and post some pics and comments as well...no need to start a new thread. The Mach 1 rocks

BlueGrass
Carpal Tunnel

Re: What can I say - A Mach1 and Eagle new [Re: t.r.]
      #4428228 - 03/05/11 03:15 PM

Tim,
Congrats to you! Your experience mirrors mine ... moving up from a CGx world. Pictures are a must, but have to say they don't do these setups justice. If I can find the space, I'm going to try and setup both the Mach1 and CGEM side by side so folks can get a true perspective.... and the last thing they literally do is 'rock' as in back and forth ...

but I agree ...

SPACEMAN
sage

Reged: 01/30/05

Loc: grömme,Belgium
Re: What can I say - A Mach1 and Eagle new [Re: AstroGabe]
      #4428597 - 03/05/11 06:13 PM

very nice! i hope you have a lot of pleasure!

RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
      #4428955 - 03/05/11 09:07 PM Attachment (33 downloads)

Quote:

So ... for want of a better term, an AP mount purchase does look to be a lifetime investment. I don't think you'll be seeing this one in the classifieds again, unless it's an estate sale ...

I agree completely. I waited almost two years for mine and had to take a deep breath at the expense when my name finally came up on the list. But the results have been worth every single penny I spent. Mine is definitely a "lifetime" investment and I'm sure yours will be, too.

FWIW, the Eagle + Extension works quite well with my CR-150 for visual astronomy.

Cheers,

Ron

t.r.
Post Laureate

Re: What can I say - A Mach1 and Eagle new [Re: RAKing]
      #4429566 - 03/06/11 06:46 AM

That set-up looks regal together Ron, all in black!

nofxrx
Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

Reged: 07/12/05

Loc: Palm Bay,Florida
      #4429970 - 03/06/11 12:03 PM

Hey George!!!!
Awesome looking setup!! Cant wait to see some first light images!!

I may be joining the AP group soon myself..thought it would be with a 1200, but may "settle" for the Mach1...especially since I only hbave a perm. pier, and never intend to own anything larger than a TEC140 or 8-10"RC..

Congrats on the awesome mount!!

Cheers!

gillmj24
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/06/05

Loc: PA
Re: What can I say - A Mach1 and Eagle new [Re: nofxrx]
      #4430164 - 03/06/11 01:44 PM

The mach1 is a featherweight if you have to move it around. Lighter than G11 or CGE but more capable.

RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
      #4430785 - 03/06/11 07:09 PM

Quote:

That set-up looks regal together Ron, all in black!

Thanks, Tim.

Too bad my SV80S piggyback scope is white.

Cheers,

Ron

Paul G
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/08/03

Loc: Freedonia
      #4430802 - 03/06/11 07:17 PM Attachment (33 downloads)

Quote:

Paul, I'm 6'2" tall and my Mach1/Eagle/8" Extension places the C11 and 130GT at just the right height for both sitting observation at the zenith and standing up to about 70 degrees elevation.

Same height so it should work for me, too. Thanks. Here's mine on the wood tripod:

Daniel Mounsey
Vendor (Woodland Hills)

Reged: 06/12/02

#4430960 - 03/06/11 08:28 PM

Congrats. It does sound like a coffee grinder though. I was really surprised to hear that.

BlueGrass
Carpal Tunnel

Re: What can I say - A Mach1 and Eagle new [Re: Daniel Mounsey]
      #4431283 - 03/06/11 11:17 PM

Hello Brent, Thanks. Good luck and hope you find the mount you're looking for. For me, I've been looking at a Mach1 for a long time ... perfect fit for my needs.

Dan, yes at full slew speed the Mach1 is noisy, but you can adjust that down to slower speeds. Frankly, if that's the only 'knock' I find in using the Mach1, I won't mind a bit. For the most part, I don't think it'll be slewing around much ...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5110

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics