Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
TopherTheME
sage

Reged: 02/11/11

Loc: Rochester, MI
Re: Sealed Acid batery pack, using for Dual Axis drive new [Re: Ketan]
      #4454280 - 03/16/11 06:12 PM

Just use the lead acid battery that you bought. The drive isn't going to be able to tell the difference between that lead acid battery or 4x D cells. As long as you don't reverse the polarity from the battery you're not going to hurt anything.

And if a 6v charged battery is at 7.2v, that voltage will drop the moment any current is drawn from it, even if its just a few uA. Besides, using alkaline primary cells is very bad for the environment and IMO should be illegal unless a recycling program is enforced.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #4455420 - 03/17/11 09:21 AM

You are pushing that voltage into the controller chip. Burning my drive left me with 2 surplus motors and a battery pouch.

The part about the motors in the other part of this thread is a red herring from someone who hasn't done it.

Your first sign of trouble will be the RA motor doesn't come on. It will be cool to the touch. If you smell the controller box carefully, you may notice a faint burnt odor. The chips are seeing the full input voltage- this is why D cell alkalines are safe and a rechargeable equivalent isn't. Again, you get no warning- she's dead the instant there's too much power at the input, and you're buying a new drive.

-Rich

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

#4455431 - 03/17/11 09:29 AM

See of you can find a 1.5 volt pack that holds six AA batteries (for 9 Vdc).

Just use 5 1.2 Vdc rechargable batteries, and use a dummy battery in one compartment.

A dummy battery is just a dead battery wrapped in aluminum foil. You just always leave the dummy in the holder.

Alternatly, you can just solder a piece of wire in place of the battery in one space.

This will give you 6 Vdc, and even if you use just 1200 mha batteries, will give you 6 amps.

6 battery holder

Edited by Eddgie (03/17/11 09:31 AM)

Ketan
sage

Reged: 11/02/06

Re: Sealed Acid batery pack, using for Dual Axis drive new [Re: Eddgie]
      #4456091 - 03/17/11 02:28 PM

Topher thank you for writing, I will be doing the other safe experiments first.

Starhawk, which type of sealed lead acid battery did you use? what was its size?
Eddgie nice to see you again, thank you for the idea. I will make it and that will be my yet extra pack what you told.

see you

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#4456683 - 03/17/11 08:32 PM

I tried using an AC adapter. I even thought it was being clever by using a multimeter to characterize it, first.

And afterwards, I had to ask myself what the $&@£ I was thinking since it only went through one change of batteries every 6 months.

-Rich

Ketan
sage

Re: Sealed Acid batery pack, using for Dual Axis drive new [Re: Starhawk]
      #4457192 - 03/18/11 04:51 AM

Quote:

I tried using an AC adapter. I even thought it was being clever by using a multimeter to characterize it, first.

And afterwards, I had to ask myself what the $&@£ I was thinking since it only went through one change of batteries every 6 months.

-Rich

ohh.. hmmm Edison was always jealous of Nicola Tesla, and is still today.

Ketan
sage

#4458259 - 03/18/11 04:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

-Rich

ohh.. hmmm Edison was always jealous of Nicola Tesla, and is still today.

I mean I was talking about AC and DC conflict ...

Starhawk
Space Ranger

#4458392 - 03/18/11 05:33 PM

In this case, part of the problem is non-constant current draw. Yes you can put together a voltage regulator to fix this, for more than the D batteries it will use are worth.

-Rich

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
22 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2194

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics