Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
skybsd
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/01/08

Re: Portable Piers new [Re: gnowellsct]
      #4457225 - 03/18/11 05:50 AM

Hi Greg,
Good to hear from you..,

Quote:

ATS pier is great but not appreciably faster to set up than a Losmandy HD. If you want terrain adjustability: the ATS pier gives you some latitude to adjust things like bumps on uneven grass.

Yes - I'm primarily interested in being able to adjust each leg to combat against uneven ground.

Quote:

The G11 HD gives you probably as much height adjustment as there is to be had. You can set up on the side of a hill (I have: two legs down and "long," uphill leg short).

Having owned a G11 and still owning the HD-Tripod, I'm well aware of what it can do, but I'm just not liking the assembly / disassembly required when on the road. I've come to really appreciate the the simplicity of just folding in the legs, and carrying everything away in one go.

Regards,

skybsd

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
skybsd
Post Laureate

Re: Portable Piers new [Re: SPACEMAN]
      #4457228 - 03/18/11 05:52 AM

Hello,
I'm sure they're nice, but like I said, this is not what I'm after for my set up.

Thanks.

Regards,

skybsd

Tamiji Homma
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: California, USA
Re: Portable Piers new [Re: skybsd]
      #4457884 - 03/18/11 01:14 PM

Quote:

Having owned a G11 and still owning the HD-Tripod, I'm well aware of what it can do, but I'm just not liking the assembly / disassembly required when on the road. I've come to really appreciate the the simplicity of just folding in the legs, and carrying everything away in one go.

How about FHD, Foldable HD tripod?
It is more robust than HD and easier packing/unpacking but it is heavier.

Tammy

skybsd
Post Laureate

Re: Portable Piers new [Re: Tamiji Homma]
      #4457941 - 03/18/11 01:37 PM

Hi Tamiji,
Good to hear from you..,

Quote:

Quote:

How about FHD, Foldable HD tripod?
It is more robust than HD and easier packing/unpacking but it is heavier.

Tammy

Yes - I did think about this one. Its my reluctant last resort, really.

I've heard from Rob Miller and will hope to hear back from him on the outstanding questions I had concerning the micro-leveling solution he is developing for his tripods..,

Thanks.

Regards,

skybsd

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/10

Loc: Southern California
      #4458146 - 03/18/11 03:13 PM

Quote:

I've heard from Rob Miller and will hope to hear back from him on the outstanding questions I had concerning the micro-leveling solution he is developing for his tripods..,

Please post whatever he tells you here. I've also asked for more information on those micro levelers and so far have heard very little back from Rob. I see that the Bisque Bros. are now selling a tripod very similar to Rob's tripod, but at twice the price. You can see a picture of it on their website in the Paramount MX info section. Theirs has a leveler knob on each foot.

Edited by frolinmod (03/18/11 03:25 PM)

skybsd
Post Laureate

Re: Portable Piers new [Re: frolinmod]
      #4458195 - 03/18/11 03:43 PM

Hi,

Quote:

Quote:

Please post whatever he tells you here. I've also asked for more information on those micro levelers and so far have heard very little back from Rob. I see that the Bisque Bros. are now selling a tripod very similar to Rob's tripod, but at twice the price. You can see a picture of it on their website in the Paramount MX info section. Theirs has a leveler knob on each foot.

Provided Rob says its okay, I'll post what I can - hope you understand.

I know that he's got a lot going on and the tripod development is being pursued alongside other product development efforts.

He did tell me that he expects a leg leveler solution to be finalized "in April", so I'm personally intending to see what it is before committing to buy. I'd loathe to buy now and find out that retro-fitting is complicated once they're released.

I've taken a look at the PMX tripod. I like the fact that someone's with some experience has obviously designed the leg levelers on that one. The adjustment knobs are high enough to turn them whilst still being able to eyeball a bubble or spirit level on the flat top - nice

Simple, yet vast improvement over say the Losmandy HD-Tripods where the adjustment is much lower, requiring (at least for me) stooping, adjust, stand up, check level, back down, up, down ..,

Regards,

skybsd

gnowellsct
Postmaster

Reged: 06/24/09

#4458864 - 03/18/11 10:38 PM

Well I was going to say, for the fold it up and go--that's one of the reasons why I have a Berlebach. But the topic heading was piers.

I've never used my ap900 on my Berlebach though.

Greg N

skybsd
Post Laureate

Re: Portable Piers new [Re: gnowellsct]
      #4459290 - 03/19/11 05:45 AM

Hi Greg,
I did call Berlebach this week to ask them about it - they recommended a Sky..,

Regards,

skybsd

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
29 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2977

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics