Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
dymy24
sage

Reged: 07/28/08

Loc: Fayetteville, NC
PHD/SSAG question
      #4457465 - 03/18/11 09:44 AM

Does PHD require drivers that are not installed when the PHD software is downloaded and installed?

I own a Skywatcher EQ5P and use a Windows 7 laptop to control Nebulosity. Last night, I attempted to begin learning to use my SSAG with PHD, but could never get PHD to see the mount.

The SSAG is connected to the computer via a USB cable, and to the mount's guideport via the included network cable. PHD started fine, and seemd to display an image from the camera, but when i attempted to connect to the mount I received an error message indicating a problem with the ASCOM driver.

This morning I found the PHD manual on-line and noticed there are several versions of drivers listed, but not much in the way of explanations about which ones (if any) to use with specific mounts.

If one of you might have experience with this mount and with the SSAG and PHD, I'd appreciate some help with the best settings to use for the connection dialog boxes.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Trev
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/18/05

Loc: Fort McMurray, AB
Re: PHD/SSAG question new [Re: dymy24]
      #4457478 - 03/18/11 09:54 AM

Is your laptop recognizing the com port your connected to?

dymy24
sage

Re: PHD/SSAG question new [Re: Trev]
      #4457491 - 03/18/11 10:01 AM

Not sure. The SSAG is connected by USB cable to a USB hub. My DSLR is also connected thru this hub and the computor recognizes the camera just fine.

While attempting to resolve the issue, I selected all of the avaible Comm Ports in turn - the dialog box presented me with Comms 1-12. This did not resolve the issue.

CarolG
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/16/06

Loc: Oklahoma
Re: PHD/SSAG question new [Re: Trev]
      #4457494 - 03/18/11 10:03 AM

Did you install the drivers from Orion? These Drivers It says 64 bit, but from what I read they also are for 32 bit machines. I installed them and have had no trouble.

dymy24
sage

Re: PHD/SSAG question new [Re: CarolG]
      #4457509 - 03/18/11 10:10 AM

I honestly don't remember, and it is worth re-installing just in case. Thanks for the link.

It looks like those drivers are specifically for the SSAG. Do you believe they might also influence to mount/PHD handshake?

nemo129
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/03/10

Loc: WMass
      #4457556 - 03/18/11 10:35 AM

On the top menu in PHD (you know the File-Mount-Tools-Help one on top) under Mount. Did you choose "On-Camera"? The camera is controlling your mount, so you need to do that. That way when you pick your camera (SSAG), the mount will be driven by the camera via the ST4 guider interface which is a standard. You do not need click on the Connect the Telescope icon if you are connecting the way that you described it in your OP. Hope this helps.

Edited by nemo129 (03/18/11 10:49 AM)

dymy24
sage

Re: PHD/SSAG question new [Re: nemo129]
      #4457578 - 03/18/11 10:48 AM

I do not believe I did that. I installed the software when I got the SSAG about 6-7 months ago. It's been long enough that I've forgotten most of the install/setup routine.

Perhaps it's also been long enough to have forgotten a cardinal rule - there are no real shortcuts. I'll simply have to read the instructions and practice the routine.

I'm hoping to get it all down in the next month. I am moving to a new home and leaving my observatory behind. My new neighborhood doesn't allow out-buildings, and I don't want to spend any more time setting up once I no longer have the luxury of just leaving everything connected and mounted at the end of the night.

nemo129
Post Laureate

#4457588 - 03/18/11 10:51 AM

I edited my post to try to make it clearer. As I said I hope that helps. It really is very easy to use. The issue you had is really the only one I ever had and it just works great now!
Clear Skies!

dymy24
sage

#4457863 - 03/18/11 01:00 PM

At the very least, you have identified something that I should have done and that I failed to do. At best, it may just completely solve the problem.

I'll give it all a try tonight.

mak7
sage

Reged: 09/29/07

Loc: light polluted Phoenix AZ
      #4457926 - 03/18/11 01:34 PM

Another thing that could be in question, you mentioned a USB hub.

If it is not a powered hub, it divides power between the individual outlets and might not be fully powering the SSAG. I had some intermitant problems with other accessories until I changed to a powered USB hub. They require 5 volts to power them fully and I picked up a 12v to 5v converter from Radio Shack to power the unit in the field from the main deepcycle battery.
My intermitant problems went away.
Brad

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#4458445 - 03/18/11 06:00 PM

Quote:

Does PHD require drivers that are not installed when the PHD software is downloaded and installed?

I own a Skywatcher EQ5P and use a Windows 7 laptop to control Nebulosity. Last night, I attempted to begin learning to use my SSAG with PHD, but could never get PHD to see the mount.

The SSAG is connected to the computer via a USB cable, and to the mount's guideport via the included network cable. PHD started fine, and seemd to display an image from the camera, but when i attempted to connect to the mount I received an error message indicating a problem with the ASCOM driver.

This morning I found the PHD manual on-line and noticed there are several versions of drivers listed, but not much in the way of explanations about which ones (if any) to use with specific mounts.

If one of you might have experience with this mount and with the SSAG and PHD, I'd appreciate some help with the best settings to use for the connection dialog boxes.

This has nothing to do with drivers, but with connections. That "network" cable is not a network cable; it is an ST4 cable that goes from the guide output on the camera to the guide port. No drivers are involved. Ascom is not used. You simply tell PHD "on camera."

dymy24
sage

Re: PHD/SSAG question new [Re: rmollise]
      #4458732 - 03/18/11 09:12 PM

Nemo and Rmollise nailed it. When I selected "on Camera", it all connected just fine.

Now - what are my configuration options. I attempted to guide, and got the error message that the RA calibration failed, star did not move enough.

I read the help file, and found the advanced section, but don't want to guess at what configuration options to change.

Edited by dymy24 (03/18/11 09:16 PM)

dymy24
sage

#4458786 - 03/18/11 09:47 PM

Okay, randomly tweaking one item at a time worked. I have round stars at 5 minutes!

So - does PHD retain settings from one session to another, or do I need to save the file?

nemo129
Post Laureate

#4458814 - 03/18/11 10:04 PM

Quote:

So - does PHD retain settings from one session to another, or do I need to save the file?

It saves them, but I would write them down just in case.
You may also find that you need to change your settings at times based on where in the sky you are imaging, sky conditions, or maybe you changed your imaging scope. I just put the settings into a text file that I save on the laptop for future reference.

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
      #4458816 - 03/18/11 10:05 PM

Congratultions and +1 for forums what settings are you referring to? The brain function settings are saved, as is the contrast slider position.

dymy24
sage

Re: PHD/SSAG question new [Re: CounterWeight]
      #4458817 - 03/18/11 10:07 PM

Thank you all. I've recorded the "brain" settings. I'll learn more tomorrow night. Gotta love this time of year.

dymy24
sage

#4463591 - 03/21/11 07:51 AM

Thanks to Stark Labs and Cloudy Nights, I can now take 5 minute subs with nice, round stars. Of course, that doesn't mean I know what to do with them afterwards! Wish I'd started in this hobby when I was younger.

Grimzella
sage

Reged: 02/10/08

Loc: Washington, Pennsylvania
      #4463986 - 03/21/11 12:00 PM

"Wish I'd started in this hobby when I was younger." -dymy24

any time is a GREAT time to get into astronomy!!

nemo129
Post Laureate

#4464942 - 03/21/11 07:33 PM

Quote:

Thanks to Stark Labs and Cloudy Nights, I can now take 5 minute subs with nice, round stars. Of course, that doesn't mean I know what to do with them afterwards! Wish I'd started in this hobby when I was younger.

Well, there is this other free program called Deep Sky Stacker... You are never too old to learn new things...trust me on this!

dymy24
sage

#4465751 - 03/22/11 07:47 AM

I have DSS somewhere. I also purchased Nebulosity about a year ago. I use Nebulosity to control the camera, capture the images, and do the post-capture processing that I know how to do. Because Nebulosity also integrates with PHD and does the stacking, I just use it for everything.

Does DSS have an advantage (besides being free) over Nebulosity for some of these tasks?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1733

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics