Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

Reged: 09/11/06

Loc: Bolton, MA
Re: PHD/SSAG question new [Re: dymy24]
      #4466628 - 03/22/11 03:20 PM

DSS is WAY better/faster at post-processing (calibration of lights, darks, flats, stacking, etc.) than Nebulousity... you can fully automate the entire process...

When I use my QHY8 (OSC) camera, I use Nebulousity for capture, and then use DSS for post processing...

Now that I also have a QSI583WS, I'm having to learn Maxim DL5 instead... jury is still out...

But, thus far, I *miss* DSS...

HTH

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kid

Reged: 06/21/09

Re: PHD/SSAG question new [Re: Bowmoreman]
      #4478321 - 03/27/11 07:10 PM

I met with the same problems recently. The way I fixed it is in the Mount manu choose "on camera" but not "ASCOM". Because the camera is controlling the mount, not the computer via ASCOM.

I have a question about SSAG/PHD as well and I wonder if I can post it here:
When I am doing the calibration, firstly I believe it moves along RA from the original position and come back to cailbrate RA movement; This step works fine. Then it moves along DEC for about 60 steps, but it can't come back, and waring shows:"DEC calibration failed: Turning off DEC guiding". Does anyone knows what's the problem? Should I increase the calibration step in the brain manu?

Thanks!

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: PHD/SSAG question new [Re: kid]
      #4479033 - 03/28/11 06:00 AM

Quote:

I met with the same problems recently. The way I fixed it is in the Mount manu choose "on camera" but not "ASCOM". Because the camera is controlling the mount, not the computer via ASCOM.

I have a question about SSAG/PHD as well and I wonder if I can post it here:
When I am doing the calibration, firstly I believe it moves along RA from the original position and come back to cailbrate RA movement; This step works fine. Then it moves along DEC for about 60 steps, but it can't come back, and waring shows:"DEC calibration failed: Turning off DEC guiding". Does anyone knows what's the problem? Should I increase the calibration step in the brain manu?

Thanks!

Yes, try increasing calibration steps. The problem is usually dec backlash.

kid

Reged: 06/21/09

Re: PHD/SSAG question new [Re: rmollise]
      #4479663 - 03/28/11 01:17 PM

THX Rod,

I tried yesterday and now here's the issue:

I increase the calibration step longer, from 1s to 15s. Now after N calibration it will return and do S calibration, but I guess because of the DEC backlash the star doesn't move a lot, and it won't come back to the original point before it starts guiding. So, during the guiding, the RA curve fluctuate along x-axis, while the DEC curves gradually drops with generally a constant slope...

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
32 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1744

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics