Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: CGEM - No Response "17" new [Re: Bill Barlow]
      #4462625 - 03/20/11 06:34 PM

Quote:

This is off-topic a bit, but Rod, I really enjoyed your article in the April issue of Sky and Telescope. I found a few of the targets you were writing about in my C11 early one morning last week. Hope that S+T will want a few more observing articles from you down the road.

Bill

Super...glad you liked it...and it's great to hear somebody has some clear skies!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: CGEM - No Response "17" new [Re: EliMisel]
      #4462626 - 03/20/11 06:35 PM

Quote:

I was using serial, no usb converter. Tried it on both my laptop and desktop. Same result, but the data block number it would throw would be different every time. I also decided to try updating the HC firmware, it did the same thing. Threw programming errors at different blocks, although if I kept hitting retry I was able to get it to 100%. Verifying would result in a bunch of errors about differences in code blocks. I am wondering if the hand controller is bad.

Might try re-downloading the updater. What's your o/s? Failing that, yes, it might be time to check the internal connections.

EliMisel

Reged: 09/13/10

Loc: Zanesville, Ohio
Re: CGEM - No Response "17" new [Re: rmollise]
      #4462641 - 03/20/11 06:42 PM

Freaking awesome you got articles published in S+T man! Here I am talking with a star and didn't even know it!

Anyway, it could be a bad cable, but I only have the one supplied with the CGEM, so no way of testing that.

Just re-downloaded MCupdate and HCupdate with the same results. Laptop is running XP and desktop is running Win7. I think I am going to hold off looking at the internals until I talk with Celestron tomorrow. Sure would suck to void warranty or something.

Really appreciate everyones help.

EliMisel

#4464600 - 03/21/11 04:45 PM

Just got of the horn with Celestron. CGEM is going in for warranty repair, could be more than 30 days before I get it back. Really bums me out.

nemo129
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/03/10

Loc: WMass
      #4464850 - 03/21/11 06:49 PM

I guess that's good news, bad news. You will get back a working mount, but as always you are in a queue to get your work done and be without until then. I hope it is just the HC and they find out soon, so the wait will not be so long.

EliMisel

Re: CGEM - No Response "17" new [Re: nemo129]
      #4471312 - 03/24/11 04:10 PM

Quote:

I guess that's good news, bad news. You will get back a working mount, but as always you are in a queue to get your work done and be without until then. I hope it is just the HC and they find out soon, so the wait will not be so long.

Yep. I am just glad it's getting fixed I guess. I have my fingers crossed that it's a quick turn around!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
28 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2356

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics