Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
locod1

Reged: 03/12/11

Re: Mount For AstroPhotography new [Re: Duncan Kitchin]
      #4476086 - 03/26/11 06:07 PM

Ok, so I just bit the bullet, and purchased the Atlas 8 EQ-G GoTo Reflector Telescope. I figured if i was buying a mount for $1,400.00 I might as well spend the extra $250.00 and get a 8" newt. with it. Now I need plenty of moral support, because buyers remorse is starting to set in! lol

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nemo129
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/03/10

Loc: WMass
Re: Mount For AstroPhotography new [Re: locod1]
      #4476125 - 03/26/11 06:30 PM

OK, I think you will have a great time with that setup. Imaging at f/4.9 is a lot of fun. What camera are you going to use? Do you have a coma corrector yet. Lots of questions. You might want to visit the Beginning and Intermediate Imaging Forum for more advice. Don't regret buying good equipment! You will be buying more..welcome to the dark side of astronomy...astrophotography!

locod1

Re: Mount For AstroPhotography new [Re: nemo129]
      #4476150 - 03/26/11 06:43 PM

I'm using a Canon XS (1000D?). I have been looking at getting a coma corrector, but there is a lot of them to chose from lol. I also ordered the Orion Awesome Autoguider Refractor Package along with it. Hopefully this set up will hold me over for the time being anyway.

Falcon-
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/11/09

Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada
      #4476257 - 03/26/11 07:34 PM

Congrats! I wish I had that package myself!

Yes the "Rebel XS" is the 1000D

People always seem to say good things about the MPCC so if I had a newt to image when I think I would go that way. (I have not tried it or any other coma corrector myself... lacking an imaging capable newt and all).

Hope you have a chance to do your first light soon!

locod1

Re: Mount For AstroPhotography new [Re: Falcon-]
      #4476295 - 03/26/11 07:55 PM

Thank you! What would the MPCC be an acronym for? Reading these forums is almost like being in the army again lol.

nemo129
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/03/10

Loc: WMass
      #4476304 - 03/26/11 08:05 PM

Multi Purpose Coma Corrector

Check here.

It's made by Baader. I do not image with a newt either, almost, but I bought an AT8RC instead! Like Falcon though, I have heard lots of good things about the MPCC.

bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/17/07

Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA
Re: Mount For AstroPhotography new [Re: nemo129]
      #4476472 - 03/26/11 09:32 PM

I agree with Sean (Falcon) and Kirk. Enjoy the scope. You will love it and be glad that you did not go for anything bigger. I have a 9.25 inch SCT on an Atlas that is right on the upper limit for AP in my estimation. With an MPCC you will have an excellent imaging platform.

Ajay

Edited by bluedandelion (03/26/11 09:37 PM)

Duncan Kitchin
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/16/04

Loc: Beaverton, OR, USA
      #4479371 - 03/28/11 11:09 AM

Quote:

I'm using a Canon XS (1000D?). I have been looking at getting a coma corrector, but there is a lot of them to chose from lol. I also ordered the Orion Awesome Autoguider Refractor Package along with it. Hopefully this set up will hold me over for the time being anyway.

That should be a great setup - you'll have lots of fun with that. I used a Baader MPCC with my 6" Newt, and found it to work very well.

Regards & Clear Skies
Duncan

locod1

Re: Mount For AstroPhotography new [Re: Duncan Kitchin]
      #4548588 - 04/27/11 09:26 PM

OK, so I'm sitting in my living room gazing at my New atlas mount with the 8" f/4.9 newt that just came in Monday and Tuesday. I am still waiting on one more 11lb. counterweight. Now I'm wondering what would be the best way to attach my un-forked meade 8" sct OTA to the atlas mount. I need something on the cheaper end as I have already spent more money than my better half allotted me!

locod1

#4548610 - 04/27/11 09:42 PM

Sorry, I have to list the new equipment. Can't hold it in.
Orion Atlas w/ 8" f4.9 newt
Astro-Tech 72mmED
William Optics 2" Carbon Fiber Dielectric Diagonal
2" SCT Focuser - Crayford Dual Speed
Bahtinov Focus Mask
F/6.3 SCT Focal Reducer
Orion Awesome Autoguider Refractor Telescope Package
So you can see why the wife might be a little upset, but when I told her It was all "around $1500" she calmed down.
now I just have to figure out how to tell how just how "round" that was...........

Ranger Tim
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/25/08

Loc: SE Idaho, USA
      #4549213 - 04/28/11 09:00 AM

The Baader MPCC is a very nice corrector. Stars away from the center of view are much less "seagull" shaped and the corrector provides a convenient method of inserting the camera rig into the 2 inch focuser. A low profile focus tube adapter is not necessary with the MPCC - simply screw the MPCC onto the T-ring, attach camera and insert into focus tube. There is a flange on the MPCC to prevent the rig from falling too far into the tube. Spacing is generally not an issue with a DSLR.

Bill W.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/09/05

Loc: Western PA, USA
Re: Mount For AstroPhotography new [Re: Ranger Tim]
      #4549237 - 04/28/11 09:25 AM

You made a great choice with the Atlas. Mine has been a great performer. I have the AT8IN. It's a good match. I would also suggest at some point upgrading to a Losmandy head for your Atlas. ADM makes the dovetail you need to mount your Meade and also makes a dual Losmandy/Vixen head for the Atlas. Email Anthony at ADM if you have any questions. He makes quality stuff and is very knowledgable. Check out my webpage at the link at the bottom of the page. I have a Meade 8" SCT mounted with ADM dovetails.

http://admaccessories.com/

-Bill

Patrick
Postmaster

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
      #4550669 - 04/28/11 10:44 PM

Quote:

I just bit the bullet, and purchased the Atlas 8 EQ-G GoTo Reflector Telescope.

I have a personal dislike for EQ mounted Newts (sorry to be so blunt), but on the other hand, you can't go wrong with the Atlas mount, 8" of aperture, and an f/4.9 focal ratio (as you well noted).

Back to your original problem: " i have been taking some simple exposures of M42, and in almost every one i have misshaped stars. I not im not tracking perfect and I expect some trails, but the zig zag can only come from vibration? " While mount vibration could very well be a major contributor, I think a large factor is likely plain old periodic tracking error combined with the long focal length 8" SCT.

I'm assuming you were not autoguiding with your LX50 and I want to throw out a cautionary note regarding your new mount. Even though I'm sure the Atlas will be much (very much) better than the LX50 mount, I think you'll find you'll still need to autoguide with the 1000mm focal length reflector. If astrophotography is really the main goal, you might want to consider putting an autoguider in your budget.

Patrick

Bill W.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Mount For AstroPhotography new [Re: Patrick]
      #4551236 - 04/29/11 09:28 AM

I agree with Patrick about autoguiding. To cut costs, you can make a guidescope out of a 50mm finderscope and use an Orion SSAG. I know from personal experience that the Atlas does a fine job autoguiding at 800mm. I have shot at 2000mm a couple of times and the Atlas did a good job with nice round stars. IMHO, collimation is the biggest 'hurdle' to over come using a newt until you learn how to obtain a good collimation. Your f/4.9 with be a little more forgiving than my f/4.0. Good luck.

-Bill

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Mount For AstroPhotography new [Re: Bill W.]
      #4551336 - 04/29/11 10:28 AM

er. the OP listed the equipment he just bought.. and it includes..

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #4551451 - 04/29/11 11:34 AM

Quote:

Now I'm wondering what would be the best way to attach my un-forked meade 8" sct OTA to the atlas mount. I need something on the cheaper end as I have already spent more money than my better half allotted me!

For price and quality, the ADM dovetail is really the way to go for your M8.

locod1

Re: Mount For AstroPhotography new [Re: EFT]
      #4551567 - 04/29/11 12:44 PM

Thank you all for the great input. I ordered a autoguider with the atlas mount I haven't been able to use it as of yet because I am still waiting on one more counterweight. After last night I also have a dislike for an EQ mounted Newt, the eyepiece seems to always end up in a totally impossible viewing position. On the other hand for AP it seems to be a dream compared to the LX 50. I used the autoguider package on my LX 50 (as it shipped almost a month before the atlas) and after 3 hours of drift alignment, plus autoguiding I couldn't do more than 25 sec exp. at F6.3. I assume the PE for the LX 50 is just more that can be guide out? Now last night i tryed the new atlas out for the first time, attached is a image I took. I am really excited with this capture, as I only did a quick alignment thru the polar scope. I did not drift or autoguide and this is a 60s exp. M51

Bill W.
Carpal Tunnel

#4551814 - 04/29/11 02:52 PM

er.. orlyandico, it had been a day or two since I had read his original post...

locod1... your first image with the Atlas looks good. Congrats!

-Bill

Patrick
Postmaster

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
Re: Mount For AstroPhotography new [Re: orlyandico]
      #4551958 - 04/29/11 04:26 PM

Quote:

er. the OP listed the equipment he just bought.. and it includes..

Bachus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/25/05

Loc: Nashville,TN.
Re: Mount For AstroPhotography new [Re: Patrick]
      #4553209 - 04/30/11 10:35 AM

Yep..I agree with others that replacing the OEM saddle with a ADM "Dual Saddle will be your best upgrade you can get and you'll thank yourself.

http://admaccessories.com/D_Series_Dual_Saddles.htm

If you check over in the "Imaging" area and search for Guidescope or 50mm there are plenty using this as a guider with say a Meade DSI.Something like this which is what I made..

http://msfastro.net/articles/finder_guidescope/

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
23 registered and 46 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5214

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics