Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

The long-awaited conversion to CN 3.0 is in progress. Please see this thread for important information.

See update on outage timing here.

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
jmiele
Patron Saint?

Reged: 12/04/10

Re: AP900 Question new [Re: RodShea]
      #4480468 - 03/28/11 07:28 PM

Actually after doing some more reading on the subject I think I've got it wrong. The error I found in Dec is not a problem. I problem in this case would be "cone error". That is to say the optical tube not being aligned with the dovetail yes. but not as I did it with the scope in the west level to the ground. This would be the difference or distance of the scope from the dovetail as it sits on the rings (each ring) front and back must be the same. That distance not being equal creates a cone shape (in or out) when the scope moves in RA and the optics are pointed to the pole. This is where the shims come into play. To your point about the error being greater at the pole, thats a good place to check for it. So looks like my tak tube holder is to blame because when looking for this a can visually identify they are not equal. The space between my optical tube and the dovetail are NOT the same in the front and the back of the dovetail plate.

I will test this tonight and prepare to shim it next time out. BTW, anyone out there mounting a TOA-150B with other than the tak tube rings?

Joe

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
Re: AP900 Question new [Re: drksky]
      #4480803 - 03/28/11 09:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

This is the reason I really like the Mount section. Gotta' love mechanical things even when they frustrate the bejeebers out of you. I was thinking while reading this, a fork mount on a wedge or a purpose built mount like Mathis Instruments' fork mount solves the flip problem. HOWEVER, once committed to a fork, you have very limited options when it comes to scopes. You have the scope in the fork and perhaps a piggybacked refractor.

I've always liked the old Meade RX400s and thought that a 12" version would be a pretty terrific imaging scope if the electronics stayed healthy. But then, you're committing to a wedge. No flip, but that's your scope. Perplexing problems we have.

David

Not to derail the topic even more, but why not build a fork mount that has a dovetail platform in the center instead of have it mount to a scope directly? Then you can have your fork and eat it too...or something.

You wouldn't necessarily be limited by what scope you could mount, although you would certainly be limited by the instrument length.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the encoders in the fork assume that the scope is in a specific spot. Considering that, depending on the size of the fork, were a Losmandy dovetail be rigged to be in the middle, if you put, say a 12" SC in there and decided you wanted to do some widefield stuff with an FSQ106, the centerline of the 106 would be drastically different from the SC. Something would be out of whack I would think.

David

RodShea

Reged: 11/01/09

Re: AP900 Question new [Re: jmiele]
      #4481031 - 03/28/11 11:39 PM

Quote:

So looks like my tak tube holder is to blame because when looking for this a can visually identify they are not equal. The space between my optical tube and the dovetail are NOT the same in the front and the back of the dovetail plate.

Joe,

That seems very strange. You are saying the OTA is visibly not parallel to the dovetail plate? I've never actually seen a TOA 150, but the scopes I was working with are both Taks, and that just does not sound right. I'd guess there is a trick, you are missing a part, have a wrong part, or something like that. I'd probably post this to the Uncensored TakGroup (can I say that here?) and/or call Art Ciampi or Fred Garcia at Texas Nautical Repair/TakahashiAmerica.

Rod

jmiele
Patron Saint?

Reged: 12/04/10

Re: AP900 Question new [Re: RodShea]
      #4481067 - 03/28/11 11:52 PM

Problem solved! A couple od thin shims and I was pointing all sky in the field of a 13 Ethos in the TOA-150 all night.

Rod, I have a pretty good eye for that. It was only out a couple of mills. Don't ask me how I can see that but I did/can. I also saw the dove and scope where were out of level by a 1/32 from each other.

All I know is it pointed great tonight and PEMPro showed my PE curve as 3.93 arc sec peak to peak with no PEC running. They make a great product!

Thanks to all who posted suggestions.

Joe <----Happy

Oh and last..... took a couple of pics of Saturn and all I can say is those guys in the Solar System AP forum should be Knighted! How do they do it?

RodShea

Reged: 11/01/09

#4481270 - 03/29/11 02:06 AM

Great to hear it worked1

Rod

skybsd
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/01/08

#4481327 - 03/29/11 03:41 AM

Hi,
Glad to hear you found the root cause

Good eye!

Regards,

skybsd

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1975

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics