Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Scott Rose
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/20/08

Loc: beachwood ohio
Minitower died
      #4499262 - 04/05/11 10:23 PM

This is my second MT. The first never worked well from the get go. It wound up in the dumpster by my office. I bought another one just this winter and had it upgraded. I thought I would use it as a quick grab n go mount. Tonight was the second night of using it and guess what. Stopped working. It just sits there and does not even hum, even though it is on. The controller is working, but the mount does not slew or anything. This mount has been the most disappointing and total waste of money I have spent in this hobby. Anybody looking for a large paperweight?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jason_milani
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/03/04

Loc: Northeast Ohio
Re: Minitower died new [Re: Scott Rose]
      #4499279 - 04/05/11 10:29 PM

Send it over here, Scott. I have a lot of paperwork lying around and i'm right around the corner.

Seriously, sorry about your issues. Why did you purchase a second after the bad experience with the first?

Scott Rose
professor emeritus

Re: Minitower died new [Re: jason_milani]
      #4499295 - 04/05/11 10:38 PM

I thought the upgrading would have made a difference. I liked the idea of a small goto lightweight mount. I have a tak em200 and a vixen sxd, but set up is more time. I liked the idea of something for quick set up and looks. will need to look into something else that is reliable to fill the void.

jason_milani
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/03/04

Loc: Northeast Ohio
      #4499390 - 04/05/11 11:23 PM

Maybe a Vixen Skypod? It's similar to the Minitower but most likely more reliable.

Good luck.

Scott Rose
professor emeritus

Re: Minitower died new [Re: jason_milani]
      #4499418 - 04/05/11 11:45 PM

good idea

johnpd
sage

Reged: 04/13/08

#4499548 - 04/06/11 01:20 AM

Hi Scott,

I can sympathize with you. I have had a similar experience with multiple MTs. If iOptron could get their problems resolved, it would be a great product.

JohnD

Ira
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/22/10

Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel
Re: Minitower died new [Re: johnpd]
      #4499580 - 04/06/11 01:59 AM

Scott,
Who did the upgrade?

/Ira

Scott Rose
professor emeritus

Re: Minitower died new [Re: Ira]
      #4499791 - 04/06/11 07:02 AM

Trapezium Telescopes did the upgrade. Probably not their issue, most likely electronics in the circuit board. But the bottom line is, this product is a real *BLEEP* shoot. A good idea with poor quality control and design excecution.

marked

Reged: 01/22/09

Loc: Silverthorne, CO
      #4499931 - 04/06/11 09:07 AM

Scott - sorry you had a problem again. Could you describe what you tried to get your MT working? Did you try different power sources or anything? iOptron support was very helpful when I had issues with my MT, and helped me get it working fine.

Ed

Scott Rose
professor emeritus

Re: Minitower died new [Re: marked]
      #4499961 - 04/06/11 09:27 AM

I set it up and did a two star polar alignment. Then slewed to a couple of Messier objects, right on target. Then I went to saturn. I went in the house to go to the bathroom and came back out 5 minutes later and it was not in the eyepeice. The tracking stopped. I figured I would try to start all over and went to park position and the scope did not move. So I turned it off and manually moved it to starting position and turned it on. The hand controller came on and acquired GPS. I went to align and tried two star, but the scope did not slew to the first start. I turned it off and on and tried easy alignment and the scope did not slew. In fact, even trying to slew with the conroller did not work, nothing moved. There was no noise like a gear trying to work, just silence.

Lt 26
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/19/09

Loc: Northwest Illinois
      #4500328 - 04/06/11 12:20 PM

I have been wanting one of these for two years now. Never hear much good about them. They all seem to fail but have great customer support. I would rather have it the other way around.

Dereck

marked

Re: Minitower died new [Re: Lt 26]
      #4500358 - 04/06/11 12:36 PM

Scott - that sure sounds frustrating. Did you try plugging the hand controller into the other HBX socket to see if that made a difference? That solved a problem that I had with mine. Also the MT is known to be power sensitive. What was the power source you used (battery, 120V)? Do you know if it was receiving constant voltage? Just a few thoughts that might help.

Ed

Scott Rose
professor emeritus

#4500369 - 04/06/11 12:40 PM

I tried both HBX slots and had a fully charged powertank.

germana1
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/14/09

Loc: New Jersey
      #4500416 - 04/06/11 12:55 PM

Scott I just sent in My cube pro last week was just shy of 2 year warranty and less than a week was fixed no problem if its less than 2 years email them they will fix it HTH Pete

marked

Re: Minitower died new [Re: germana1]
      #4500485 - 04/06/11 01:23 PM

Well Scott, I'm clueless. I'd send it back to iOptron and get them to repair or replace it. Please let us know what happens.

Ed

Scott Rose
professor emeritus

#4500602 - 04/06/11 02:09 PM

It was modded by trapezium, so I will see what they will do for me. The problem is probably not with the mod, but with electronics, but who knows. I will see how well Ioptron stands behind their products.

Edited by Scott Rose (04/06/11 04:30 PM)

ovgjr
sage

Reged: 09/14/08

Loc: PA, USA
      #4500680 - 04/06/11 02:47 PM

The MT was my idea of a quick grab and go. Have to look for something else now. Good luck getting it replaced.

Larry F
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/24/04

Loc: Westchester, NY
Re: Minitower died new [Re: ovgjr]
      #4502052 - 04/07/11 06:51 AM

On the Yahoo MT group, there is a recent discussion about poorly-made circuit boards.

Ira
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/22/10

Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel
Re: Minitower died new [Re: Larry F]
      #4502126 - 04/07/11 07:43 AM

Steve Forbes at Trapezium Telescopes says that the recent MiniTowers have had mods to the circuit boards that make them prone to failure. Not so the MT Pro, apparently.

/Ira

LunarRover
journeyman

Reged: 11/03/09

Loc: Arkansas
Re: Minitower died new [Re: Ira]
      #4502279 - 04/07/11 09:25 AM

I've tried to warn about the MiniTowers on here. I've been through the same frustrating experience.
My first died after a few months and was sent back to me NOT repaired and the NEW replacement they sent died a few weeks after receiving it. So much for supposed "customer service". They suggested it was my battery pack, which it wasn't. Didn't matter if it was a/c, battery pack, or internal batteries.
I have reason to believe the first examples were dependable mounts...after that forget it.
The frustrating part is iOptron continues to sell these knowing full well they have problems. I'd be wary of any of their products after my experience.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2165

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics