Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
bam

Reged: 10/26/10

Re: Minitower died new [Re: LunarRover]
      #4503366 - 04/07/11 05:30 PM

Scott,
I was having problems with my minitower initally. I was never able to manually slew to any object. I spoke to Ioptron and they gave me some basic ideas to troubleshoot the problem. Some things were obvious like checking the power source and pressing the speed buttons to have it slew faster than the default speed. Nothing seemed to work. I finally replaced the batteries in the unit, even though I was using an external Celestron power tank. Once my new batteries went in, it started working fine and has has been working ever since. I probably just got lucky, and it does not necessarily relate to your problem, but I figured I would pass it along. I hope I am one of the lucky ones with a "good" MT

Bruce

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
XpMe

Reged: 12/22/07

Loc: Dallas,Texas
Re: Minitower died new [Re: bam]
      #4506742 - 04/09/11 11:01 AM

Sounds like Ioptron needs to recall MiniTowers just like Toyota had to do their recalls on cars they sold.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Minitower died new [Re: XpMe]
      #4507347 - 04/09/11 03:45 PM

Quote:

Sounds like Ioptron needs to recall MiniTowers just like Toyota had to do their recalls on cars they sold.

Only worse. Every one of the people I know with an MT has had problems. None of the fellow Toyota owners I know has.

DoctorNoodle
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/14/07

Loc: Lawn Guyland, NY
Re: Minitower died new [Re: rmollise]
      #4526924 - 04/18/11 04:58 PM

I consider myself lucky in that my MT has been working fine after sending it back to iOptron last year. They've been on the market for a few years, now. I'd expect that they'd have the bugs worked out by now.

BTW, my wife's Toyota has been problem-free.

Photoner
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/06/06

Re: Minitower died new [Re: DoctorNoodle]
      #4527145 - 04/18/11 06:34 PM

Quote the Raven....

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Minitower died new [Re: Photoner]
      #4527233 - 04/18/11 07:04 PM

Well, how cheery! These are made by NORINCO, major arms supplier to the PLA. I wonder if the SAMs are this reliable?

At NEAF they were trying to show off their new GEM, but the guy's Chinglish was terrible all I managed to get out of him was the price $4500. More with high precision encoders. Now the mount was very pretty, but not $4500 pretty. That's AP Mach1 territory. In fact, the iOpton GEM looked like a smaller Mach1. This may be the end of inexpensive Chinese (but not cheap) mounts. Think I rather have one of the 80 AP 1200s now in production than two iOptron GEMs.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2185

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics