Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
LouP

Reged: 12/27/09

New Mount
      #4525282 - 04/17/11 10:52 PM

Well I bit the bullet and picked up an iOptron iEQ45 at NEAF today along with an ADM side ny side gual saddle system. The mount looks greatand I got a great deal on it as it was on the floor. Only issues so far are that some items did not make it into the box (which really isn't surprising to me all things considered). But I am not worried as the crew working there are great and I actually finally got to meet one of them that I had been in touch with via e-mail previously (when the mount first came out). The whole show was kind of a hoot this year as I actually got everything I was hoping for including a 24 Pan. I was going to wait on the Pan but figured I would just buy it so I would not have to think about it anymore. I went back an hour later and they were sold out. After I bought the mount I went to the ADM table and was telling them what I just bought and the guy in charge there says "I was going to pick one of those up this afternoon". I really felt bad as I told him I just got the last one there.

Can't wait to get my scopes on this mount now so expect more rain to come for the few weeks. Oh, by the way, they seem to have a software solution for the balancing issue mentioned previously so that's very cool.

LouP

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Helcarexe
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/24/10

Loc: Des Moines, Iowa
Re: New Mount new [Re: LouP]
      #4525478 - 04/18/11 12:35 AM

Gratz on the new mount, let us know how it pans out with your telescopes.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: New Mount new [Re: Helcarexe]
      #4525733 - 04/18/11 07:11 AM

Hi LouP:

I picked one up too! Got mine from the Highpoint booth so I got a sealed new one in a box. I saved a good amount, but probably didn't get as good a deal as you got on the floor model. Highpoint only had two new ones and one floor model. Seems like a popular mount because they were sold out by Saturday afternoon too!

I set mine up in the hotel room to be sure everything was ok before returning home. Works great, looks great, I'm a happy camper! Now I can't wait to really try it out!

-Dan

LouP

Re: New Mount new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #4526038 - 04/18/11 10:32 AM

Congrats to you too, Dan. I can't wait to get her out in the field. did you figure out where the lighted end of the polar illuminator plugs into? I'm stumped LOL.

LouP

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

#4527836 - 04/18/11 10:42 PM

Hi Loup:

For some reason, the hole has a piece of tape on it. The quick start instruction booklet mentions it. If you take the cover off the polar scope, you'll see a black collar around behind the eyepiece. On my mount, when it was fake-aimed at Polaris, the hole was right on top of this collar. You have to remove a very tiny strip of clear tape, and the hole is under that. You then have to screw the illuminator in to that. Kind of inconvenient actually.

Because everything in that location is black, a strong flashlight can help you see it.

-Dan

LouP

#4528560 - 04/19/11 09:32 AM

Thanks Dan,

I plan at taking another look tonight. Bad thing with equipment like this as the time when you can actually get out and use it doesn't seem to come fast enough.

Oh and more funniness at NEAF I forgot about. After I was given the price on the mount I purchased, one of the other reps came over and said that someone had purchased just the tripod earlier. So I started to feel bummed and Coleman (iOtron rep) says, "don't worry, we can ship one to you". So I start thinking "oh oh, here comes the expensive part". So I ask, and Coleman confirms the shipping will be free while I see the accountant starting to grip her pencil very tightly. So I say OK and proceed to purchase the mount in anticipation of going home without the tripod. I come back later to tell Coleman I would be leaving to go home soon and he starts packing everything up for me. Just then the guy that bought the tripod comes over and says he doesn't want it after all because he did not like the color. This tripod had a black top while the one on display at High Point was painted the same color as the mount. I actually was preferring the black top on the tripod because it kind of made the mount itself stand out more (it really didn't matter to me). SO, I got to go home with a complete set-up (sans some of the wiring).

I felt like someone was watching over me this year at NEAF.

LouP

clchildress
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/22/10

Loc: NW Georgia, USA
      #4528603 - 04/19/11 09:58 AM Attachment (59 downloads)

Quote:

I felt like someone was watching over me this year at NEAF.

LouP

I love it when things turn out well like that!

I also got a mount yesterday although it was "new-to-me" rather than new. Here it is set up in my living room. Still need to get some things for it though. I could hardly stop myself from playing with the darn thing I am delighted with the quality of the hardware and electronics though.

LouP

Re: New Mount new [Re: clchildress]
      #4530403 - 04/19/11 10:08 PM

Hi All again,

well I got the polar scope illuminator figured out now so thank you.

Also, I just had to add that these folks at iOptron are awesome. They want to drive out to where I work tomorrow so they can hand deliver some cables that were missing.

LouP

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

#4530958 - 04/20/11 07:20 AM

Great to hear that iOptron is so responsive and helpful! Looks like I won't have much chance to play with my mount except indoors for a while. Been nothing but clouds and rain since the show, and more in the forecast.

-Dan

LouP

#4531235 - 04/20/11 10:26 AM

Well Friday is the only good day in our forecast and I have the day off so I am hoping to get out to my club's observing field. I spoke with the Office Manager at iOptron and told them my plans so they confirmed that the parts will be delivered before then.

I went through the set-up at home and have to admit that the polar scope had me intimidated as the ones I have seen use a rectile with an outline of the constilations on them. But now that I have gone through the instructions, this one actually seems easier and I like it better than the other format.

LouP

bam

Reged: 10/26/10

#4531823 - 04/20/11 02:34 PM

Keep us posted on how you like the mount. I recently got a mini tower and am interested in the IEQ45 for AP. I don't know if it has the same hand controller, but the one on the mini tower is great.
Bruce

LouP

Re: New Mount new [Re: bam]
      #4532083 - 04/20/11 04:31 PM

I believe the MT uses that same model 8401 hand controller as my Cube Pro while the iEQ45 uses model 8406. The bigest difference I have seen in the two so far is the method for updating the controller. The 8406 looks like a drive on your PC and you simply drag and drop the updates to the controller then restart it, bam your done. Very nice improvement.

The software is the first thing that got me interested in the iEQ45 way back as I have liked the interface on the Cube Pro from the start.

LouP

LouP

#4534241 - 04/21/11 12:37 PM

Yep, got a phone call this morning, walked downstairs at work and there was an iOptron rep waiting with all my stuff. How cool is that?

jmiele
Patron Saint?

Reged: 12/04/10

#4534258 - 04/21/11 12:46 PM

Impressive.

MallBoy

Reged: 09/26/10

Loc: Near the Tannhauser gate
Re: New Mount new [Re: jmiele]
      #4535783 - 04/22/11 02:01 AM

I've had mine for about three weeks. Under the stars once and then spring break vacation for a week. What type of sick hobby makes one wish they were home instead of on vacation? Love this mount!

LouP

Re: New Mount new [Re: MallBoy]
      #4536119 - 04/22/11 09:32 AM

My appoligies to all in the Northeast. All my plans are out the window as the great forecast for the day has turned into a cloudy mess and it is only supposed to get worse as the weekend progresses. Oh well, I knew better.

LouP

clchildress
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/22/10

Loc: NW Georgia, USA
      #4536400 - 04/22/11 11:44 AM

Quote:

My appoligies to all in the Northeast. All my plans are out the window as the great forecast for the day has turned into a cloudy mess and it is only supposed to get worse as the weekend progresses. Oh well, I knew better.

LouP

Isn't that the way it goes? Let's hope we all get the chance to dig in and get some observing done soon!

nemo129
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/03/10

Loc: WMass
Re: New Mount new [Re: clchildress]
      #4536679 - 04/22/11 01:49 PM

We can't just blame Lou! Just think about it this way...NEAF was just held in the Northeast...it'll be weeks before the fall out from all of those astronomy purchases works it way out of the weather pattern!

LouP

Re: New Mount new [Re: nemo129]
      #4537043 - 04/22/11 04:54 PM Attachment (37 downloads)

OK, can't go out and use her so I figured I would get more familiar and set her up inside. I am really liking my set-up right now .

LouP

Edited by LouP (04/22/11 05:12 PM)

LouP

#4537073 - 04/22/11 05:04 PM Attachment (50 downloads)

Can't observe so might as well play

LouP

Edited by LouP (04/22/11 05:11 PM)

LouP

#4537091 - 04/22/11 05:13 PM Attachment (47 downloads)

One more

nemo129
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/03/10

Loc: WMass
      #4537318 - 04/22/11 06:56 PM

Wow! Looks awesome with the side by side setup.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Re: New Mount new [Re: nemo129]
      #4546157 - 04/26/11 06:44 PM

VERY nice! I was thinking about the side by side from ADM at NEAF but I passed it by. Now I think I should have gone for it!.

-Dan

Wil2010

Reged: 08/17/10

Loc: Millville, CA
      #4546938 - 04/27/11 01:22 AM

Greetings.

Awesome set up. From what I understand, the 2 scope system creates the most stress on the mount and is somewhat difficult to balance?? Did you find that to be an issue. Oh, and what make of power/battery system do you have in your pic.

Thanks

LouP

Re: New Mount new [Re: Wil2010]
      #4547652 - 04/27/11 12:45 PM

Hi All and thanks for the compliments. I actually have recently purcased an improvement but it has not arrived yet. Based on my experinces with a sbs alt az mount I have, I decided to spring for this http://www.admaccessories.com/Miscellaneous_Max_Guider.htm to use in place of the dual saddle under the refractor. That should greatly assist in aligning the two scopes.

The ADM units really look and feel like there is a lot of care in the design and maufacturing of the equipment. I spoke with Anthony Davoli at NEAF and afterwards, over the phone about the MAX guider and he seems like another great guy involved in astronomy trying to help us all obtain what we want to enhance our hobby. He also purchased an iEQ45 at NEAF to see if he could design and manufacter any enhancements for the mount. During our discussion he asked me if there were any improvements I would like to see added. I told him the only two gripes I have (and I knew going into the deal) were that the extension for the counter weight bar should be included as you can't get close to the maximum weight rating without it and be balanced and the other was the binding issue when trying to balance the dec. With the extension balancing RA was not an issue and I updated all my software and now have an electronic balancing solution for the dec. As a result, I had no improvements to suggest to him but I am sure he is listening and watching so all you iEQ45 owners, I wouldn't hesitate to speak up and ask.

The battery is a Black and Decker unit that I picked up at Home Depot and has worked gret for me so far.

As far as stressing the mount, even with all the equipment, I don't think I am close to the 45lbs load capacity so I am not worried about it.

Let me know if I missed anything.

LouP

LouP

#4555394 - 05/01/11 04:00 PM

Hi again all,

Well I had this mount out in the field for the first time last night and was observing until 3:00 AM with it. I have to say that it performed better than I even expected. Polar alignment was a snap and every object I selected after initial alignent was in the eyepiece of both my scopes mounted until the scope jumped the meridian. I was told by a friend there with more experience on a gem than me that this was perfectly normal and he was actually impressed with how close it actually was on the other side of the meridian. After I synced it up on that side, everythnkg else was back in view on the first try. I don't want to get into a go-to vs. push-to disccussion here but I saw more last night than the previous year's sessions combined and spent time with all of the selections in the eyepiece.

My buddy thought my dec motor was loose and we even took the cover off to see if it could be tightened. We could not make anything out and it was starting to get dark so we put the cover back on and let it be. Upon further examination this morning, it looks like there is nothing wrong and the motor is just spring loaded to hold the worm gear in tight. I had many people asking me about the mount yesterday and last night and most are very impressed with it.

I really liked the new auto-balance function that was recently added.

Highly recomened by me as it has turned out all I expected and more.

LouP

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3191

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics