Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
NeoZavier
sage

Reged: 03/22/10

Loc: Puerto Rico
Need help with Losmandy Gemini G11!!
      #4551926 - 04/29/11 04:07 PM

A friend of mine asked me help with the Gemini G11 that He has. The controller is no friendly ( "I hate it") I am usto Celestron. I want to control the mount with my laptop can someone that made this before help me on how to do this with this mount?
Equipment:
Gemini 1
G11
C9.25
Canon EOS Rebel XT

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lawrie
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/31/06

Loc: Okanagan Valley
Re: Need help with Losmandy Gemini G11!! new [Re: NeoZavier]
      #4552179 - 04/29/11 06:17 PM

It's called Gemini.net, you can get it from the Yahoo group.
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Gemini_ASCOM_Driver/
The program isn't really that bad BUT you have to read the manual to get all that it can do.

NeoZavier
sage

Re: Need help with Losmandy Gemini G11!! new [Re: lawrie]
      #4552700 - 04/30/11 12:04 AM

But what software do you use?

lawrie
Carpal Tunnel

#4552716 - 04/30/11 12:16 AM

It will run alone or with a planetary program, I use starry night.
You still have to do a warm start and an alignment.

Stevous
sage

Reged: 09/01/09

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
      #4552800 - 04/30/11 01:27 AM

The G11 takes some getting use to, but once you understand it, it’s lovely to use [that’s coming from the EQ6Pro controller and Meade LX200GPS].

One thing to understand is the Gemini menu tree, as this will be a good start to begin your understanding of what is where. See the manual for that.

Connection to 3rd party programs like Starry Night is via ASCOM. The Gemini ASCOM control is comprehensive, again, you just need to learn it.

I have had the Gemini for 3-4 years [Level 4], and its been extremely reliable since. I can give you some quick hints:

1. Make sure you input your date and location data correctly, using the COLD START feature. This will ensure no previous session memory is carried forward to the current session.
2. When doing alignments, you must first start with your counter weight in the vertical / down position [called the CWD Position]. If your data on start up was correctly input, the first slew should be close to the target star.

Unlike other controllers, the Gemini wants you to slew to the target star first, and centre on the object. Then you go to the Alignment menu item to align the mount to the object [like synchronise].
3. Like other mounts, pick say three stars in a triangle area of the sky.
Following this, your goto’s should be accurate if you are polar aligned.
The Gemini just takes some practise.

Good luck.

NeoZavier
sage

Re: Need help with Losmandy Gemini G11!! new [Re: Stevous]
      #4554329 - 04/30/11 11:24 PM

How do you slew the telescope? I press the buttons and not always works.

Stevous
sage

#4554592 - 05/01/11 06:21 AM

To slew the mount, the trick is to hold down the direction key you wish to go. Then double click the opposite direction arrow and the mount will slew at max set speed. Note that you must be in "Visual mode" to activate this higher speed. If in "photo mode", the maount will only slew at a slow guide rate.

You must read the manual, so many little tricks to learn, but once learnt, you will find using the Gemini much easier.

Good luck.

JoseBorrero
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/04/09

Loc: Puerto Rico Island
      #4554815 - 05/01/11 10:05 AM

I know The Sky 6 Pro Planetarium already has Losmandy in their list of controlle telescopes.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Need help with Losmandy Gemini G11!! new [Re: JoseBorrero]
      #4554937 - 05/01/11 11:20 AM

Quote:

I know The Sky 6 Pro Planetarium already has Losmandy in their list of controlle telescopes.

Yes, TheSky6 can control most mounts without using ASCOM drivers. In at least one case (Tak Temma) the available ASCOM driver is superior to the built-in TheSky support - but I doubt that's true with most other protocols.

NeoZavier
sage

#4555413 - 05/01/11 04:17 PM

I have to download the original manual I only have reference articles.

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

Reged: 09/11/06

Loc: Bolton, MA
      #4557489 - 05/02/11 04:20 PM

Definitely do this. I did, printed it out, put it in a 3 ring binder... and then read it for several nights (cloudy ones) until it made sense...

Now, I *love* Gemini...

It's the only system I can envision using without having to LOOK at it at all! It's menus are intuitive (once learned), and there's not TOO MANY buttons! Before that I had used Meade AutoStar, and then Celestron NexStar... Of those two I prefered NexStar, until I learned Gemini.

I still use NexStar on my CG5/ASGT; and it's not hard either (it's polar is better).

Don't fear Gemini...

Bart
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/28/06

Loc: Somewhere near Charlottesville...
Re: Need help with Losmandy Gemini G11!! new [Re: Bowmoreman]
      #4557578 - 05/02/11 05:10 PM

Dave,

Are you referring to Gemini 1 or Gemini 2?

Has there been some recent update to G2?

Thanks

NeoZavier
sage

Re: Need help with Losmandy Gemini G11!! new [Re: Bowmoreman]
      #4558150 - 05/02/11 10:58 PM

I will di that I will read the manual of the Gemini 1 because it really look like a great mount.

lawrie
Carpal Tunnel

#4559864 - 05/03/11 06:59 PM

How accurate are the goto's from Gemini? How many aligns are needed to get the goto's accurate?

NeoZavier
sage

#4560013 - 05/03/11 08:08 PM

I really dont know because I never had a perfect alignment with the G11 but from what I have heard they are very accurate.

lawrie
Carpal Tunnel

#4560098 - 05/03/11 08:56 PM

I'm hoping Dave or someone who knows will tell us

saadabbasi
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: 29N
      #4560614 - 05/04/11 04:01 AM

Quote:

How accurate are the goto's from Gemini? How many aligns are needed to get the goto's accurate?

Are you referring to G1? If so, they're quite accurate. But it depends on a few things. If you are polar aligned well i.e. within 5', just one sync is enough in my case to have subsequent targets land in the FOV. My FOV is about 30'.

If I am not polar aligned well, then I need to build a model with 3 or more coordinates. Then subsequent gotos are more accurate.

Stevous
sage

#4560710 - 05/04/11 06:42 AM

Hi Lawrie,

If you aligned the polar scope axis to the axis of the mount, and then achieve a very good alignment to your pole star[s], gotos should be very accurate. I mainly image with my G11 at 2000mm, and even after guiding for a couple of hours, slewing to the next target is normally in my cameras FOV, or just on the edge.

Normally during the alignment process, if I am on target with my polar alignment, after I have sync’d on the first star [which can be somewhat off , say two degrees], the next one or two are normally in the FOV, or very close. Then I know I am going to have accurate gotos. If not, I recheck the polar alignment and start again.
There is a magic CWD position, and you can figure this out by following various guides on the net. I have had success by setting the CWD in the vertical position, marking the RA and DEC start points. Then slew to first bright star. I then release the clutches and align by manually moving the axis, and then lock the clutches again. I then slew the mount to the CWD position via the menu option. Here you can see the position the mount needs to start from to get close to the right CWD position. Most importantly, you need the start up data to be correct, time and location – Cold Start.

Cheers

Steve

lawrie
Carpal Tunnel

#4560942 - 05/04/11 10:03 AM

Yes Saad it's G1 level 4,
I bought my G11 back in Nov 09, and have just got it up and running in my obs. I had some issuses with the motors which I sent to Losmandy and they fixed them, I think the encoders got knocked out of wack during shipping, then of coarse the weather has been less than helpfull, but it's running, the mount it took over for is an Atlas, and the goto's from it where very accurate (EQMOD) so I hope the Gemini is close.
Steve I will google the cwd position thanks.

saadabbasi
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: 29N
      #4561110 - 05/04/11 11:45 AM

Lawrie, here's how I setup everynight:

I leave my tripod outside every night (unless I'm not going to be imaging for more than a week) and every evening I mount the G11 at the same position. This usually gets me within 1 degree of the pole.

I have the balance positions marked on each axis, so I never spend time checking balance. I then slew to a bright star (Regulas these nights) and when I have the star centered on the chip, I sync.

I then run PoleAlignMax to refine my alignment. 2 to 3 iterations bring me within 5' of the pole. Next, I do a 30s 2x2 exposure and solve the plate using PinPoint and sync the mount to the center of the plate.

This is usually all I need. But if the image crosses the meridian, then I usually have make a model with 3 stars on each side of the meridian.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2175

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics