Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/23/05

Loc: Virginia
Re: DM-4 or DM-6? new [Re: skybsd]
      #4560777 - 05/04/11 08:02 AM

Before replacing the Gitzo try hanging some weight - there couldn't be an easier tweak to at least try.

I have owned a UNI-24 and one of Tom's tripods (used for a DM-6) and I still have an AP/Baader in addition to the Gitzo 5 series. While I can't claim to have done a careful comparison under gale force conditions, my impression with the HH and my 105 w/binoviewer was that there was little little to distinguish the UNI-24 from the G5530S with regard to damping times when used with my HH II (but a lot to distinguish in terms of portability, set-up, etc.). The situation changes with the AP/Badder as it would with a Berlebach Planet- or Sky-class tripod (or a Losmandy G11 tripod). These tripods are in a different performance class because of weight and size in addition to good design - but you pay for that, of course, in weight and size.

Assuming a well designed tripod utilizing legs with good torsional rigidity and a material with superior ability to damp vibrations (e.g., wood and CF) the key becomes the mass of the tripod. The G5531 weighs a lot less than my AP/Baader and is a heck of a lot more portable. Sure, you can put the HH on a beast like the Losmandy G11 "tripod" or even the AP/Baader if you want, but to me it kind of defeats the original intent of the HH as a high performance grab and go mount. Otherwise, I'd prefer to just get out my GEM and be done with it.

One "benefit" of the DM-6 that I never really hear touted much is the weight of the thing. It de facto accomplishes what I am suggesting you do to improve the performance of your Gitzo w/QH (add significant compact weight to center of the tripod). But I still prefer the OTA centered over the tripod as in the QH/HH design.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jason_milani
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/03/04

Loc: Northeast Ohio
Re: DM-4 or DM-6? new [Re: Dragonwatcher]
      #4560780 - 05/04/11 08:03 AM

Quote:

Jason,

If you had to choose between the DM-4 and the Mark III for your 6" Skywatcher (it's listed at 11 pounds for OTA), which would you choose if cost was not factored in, only performance?

Actually my Skywatcher is the f/8 version (the 11 lbs. must refer to the f/5 version) and it's over 20 lbs. with the Moonlight focuser on it so i would use neither mount for it. I was using it with a Unistar deluxe but the standard surveyors tripod i had it on was not beefy enough. Now if someone handed me the new Super Half Hitch i wouldn't turn it down.

Put it this way: if you want the smoothest mount available get a Half Hitch. But you'll need to fuss with it somewhat. If you want a smooth (but not the smoothest) mount that is totally hassle free get a Discmount.

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: DM-4 or DM-6? new [Re: jason_milani]
      #4560784 - 05/04/11 08:07 AM

Quote:

Put it this way: if you want the smoothest mount available get a Half Hitch. But you'll need to fuss with it somewhat. If you want a smooth (but not the smoothest) mount that is totally hassle free get a Discmount.

Exactly - in a nutshell.

Dragonwatcher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/21/08

Loc: Coupeville, WA
Re: DM-4 or DM-6? new [Re: Doug D.]
      #4561185 - 05/04/11 12:15 PM

Thanks for the great responses.

Yes, I see the little hook under the tripod, so I am definitely going to hang some weight off the tripod the next windy day. I truly feel that stabilizing the tripod & balancing properly will make the QH very stable. It had to be a problem with my not handling the equipment properly. I also found that the mount attachment to the tripod wasn't as tight as it could be, so I tightened it up.

I will use my QH happily until I can get either a Mark III or DM-4 used. I really want a push-to.

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

#4561241 - 05/04/11 12:36 PM

Might also want to consider a T-REX although it is closer to the DM-6 in terms of weight and capacity.

Dragonwatcher
Carpal Tunnel

Re: DM-4 or DM-6? new [Re: Doug D.]
      #4561863 - 05/04/11 06:06 PM

After much thought, I have decided I want/need a DM-5!

Tamiji Homma
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: California, USA
      #4562411 - 05/04/11 11:03 PM

Quote:

After much thought, I have decided I want/need a DM-5!

Hi Jackie,

I bought T-REX to fill a gap between HalfHitch and DM-6, hoping it would be DM-5-like. It turned out that load capacity is more like DM-5.9

Tammy

Dragonwatcher
Carpal Tunnel

Re: DM-4 or DM-6? new [Re: Tamiji Homma]
      #4562469 - 05/04/11 11:37 PM

Tammy,

But isn't the weight & pricing comparable or more than the DM-6? I saw one site that listed the weight as 22 kg but this must include tripod/accessories?

Tamiji Homma
Post Laureate

#4562640 - 05/05/11 01:49 AM

Quote:

Tammy,

But isn't the weight & pricing comparable or more than the DM-6? I saw one site that listed the weight as 22 kg but this must include tripod/accessories?

Hi Jackie,

I didn't buy tripod for T-REX. So I don't know total weight including T-REX tripod. It isn't grab-n-go weight. I usually use Berlebach tripod with G11 mount base with T-REX.

The weight of setup (TSA-102S, finder, binoviewer, eyepiece, included) on left is 70lb. I can take whole setup and walk out of the window to backyard but I wouldn't call it grab-n-go but drag-n-go maybe.

TSA102S on T-REX/Berlebach Planet tripod:

Tammy

Edited by Tamiji Homma (05/05/11 10:56 AM)

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #4563116 - 05/05/11 10:43 AM

Quote:

Tammy,

The mount head is about 22 pounds. With the standard tripod and everything in the case it is about 34 pounds total.

Dragonwatcher
Carpal Tunnel

#4563298 - 05/05/11 12:16 PM

I have decided it will be a used DM-4 or Mark III HH. I value lighter weight very highly so I think that eliminates the DM-6 & T-Rex, though both would be wonderful choices if I had a rambler and concrete patio with unobstructed sky views.

Again, thanks for many insightful comments.

tonyt
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/02/09

Loc: Australia
      #4564187 - 05/05/11 08:41 PM

Tammy, I noticed you've switched from an ADM saddle to a Casady saddle with the T-Rex; how do you think those two saddles compare - was the ADM deficient in any way?

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: DM-4 or DM-6? new [Re: tonyt]
      #4564224 - 05/05/11 09:11 PM

FWIW, I have switched all my saddles to Casady where practical. I wish my HH could be fitted with a Casady!

They even make a small one now for the A-P dovetail bar. Thay are all beautifully made - in my opinion better than Losmandy and even A-P. I can't comment on ADM . The Casady saddles are pretty beefy and thus heavier - or so it seems to me.

Tamiji Homma
Post Laureate

Re: DM-4 or DM-6? new [Re: tonyt]
      #4564457 - 05/05/11 11:57 PM

Quote:

Tammy, I noticed you've switched from an ADM saddle to a Casady saddle with the T-Rex; how do you think those two saddles compare - was the ADM deficient in any way?

Hi Tony,

Wow, you have sharp eyes

Nothing is wrong with ADM (dual) saddle. I still have a few for other mounts. It becomes handy when you have scopes with Vixen dovetail.

However I think that Casady's saddle is easier to mount (slide-in) than ADM saddle.

Tammy

tonyt
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/02/09

Loc: Australia
Re: DM-4 or DM-6? new [Re: Tamiji Homma]
      #4564489 - 05/06/11 12:26 AM

Quote:

Hi Tony,
Wow, you have sharp eyes
Tammy

Do you feel like you're being watched

I followed your T-Rex thread and recently purchased one second hand. I have a Casady saddle on my DM6 and need to get a losmandy style saddle for the T-Rex. These mounts are more alike than they are different in terms of performance. Thanks to you and Doug for the replies.

Tony

Edited by tonyt (05/06/11 12:34 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
25 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2080

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics