Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
PhilCo126
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/14/05

Loc: coastline of Belgium
Re: Which mount for large refractor ? new [Re: skybsd]
      #4583108 - 05/15/11 12:04 PM

We'll probably go for a brand new CGE Pro ...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
skybsd
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/01/08

Re: Which mount for large refractor ? new [Re: PhilCo126]
      #4583133 - 05/15/11 12:20 PM

Quote:

We'll probably go for a brand new CGE Pro ...

Best wishes - do let us know how you get on, okay?

Regards,

skybsd

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/10

Loc: Southern California
Re: Which mount for large refractor ? new [Re: alpal]
      #4586961 - 05/17/11 02:28 PM

Quote:

I spoke to a well known astronomer here in Melbourne
who claims he once made his own mount (30 years ago)
with a washing machine motor to drive it.
He actually got it to track for 5 minute frames
using drift alignment & no guiding

Grandpa said, "Sonny, when I was your age I walked 10 miles through the snow to school."

gdd
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/05

Loc: N Seattle suburb, WA
Re: Which mount for large refractor ? new [Re: frolinmod]
      #4587741 - 05/17/11 10:04 PM

Quote:

Grandpa said, "Sonny, when I was your age I walked 10 miles through the snow to school."

"And that was uphill both ways!"

Gale

PhilCo126
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/14/05

Loc: coastline of Belgium
Re: Which mount for large refractor ? new [Re: gdd]
      #4588628 - 05/18/11 12:42 PM

Only a few years after production, some "horror" stories crept up about the mechanical & electrical problems of the CGE Pro... I guess as with all mounts, there're might be some produced on a Monday and others on a Friday

Currently we're considering a Losmandy solution...

neotesla
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/18/10

Loc: Canada
      #4589739 - 05/18/11 11:13 PM

This mount was recently pointed out to me, not sure how good it is but for what I was looking at it seemed to good to be true. Claims 100lb. instrument capacity. Anyone have comments about this one?

http://www.tech2000astronomy.com/nightfire/powertower/

Is this good enough to do some light AP as well?

jmiele
Patron Saint?

Reged: 12/04/10

Re: Which mount for large refractor ? new [Re: neotesla]
      #4589793 - 05/19/11 12:02 AM

I don't see how that skinny CW shaft is going to support enough weight for a 100 lbs payload. The whole thing looks a bit frightening to me.

Joe

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
      #4590067 - 05/19/11 07:20 AM

Quote:

This mount was recently pointed out to me, not sure how good it is but for what I was looking at it seemed to good to be true. Claims 100lb. instrument capacity. Anyone have comments about this one?

From the way it looks, and the way its advertised, I'd stay away from that one! Read further into the details below and you'll see its really only a 60 lb load - they're counting the counterweights in that 100 lbs. And to be honest, I'm not convinced its anywhere near a 60 lb capacity.

Just my 2 cents.

-Dan

JimP
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/22/03

Loc: South Carolina
      #4590272 - 05/19/11 10:14 AM

My 8" F/9 TMB is mounted on an AP 1200 GOTO. I highly recommend it!

JimP

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

Reged: 09/11/06

Loc: Bolton, MA
      #4590355 - 05/19/11 10:59 AM

Quote:

given it only has a 20mm diameter counterweight shaft, its gonna flex with anything more that about a 25 pound load, IMHO

Bruce FitzGerald
sage

Reged: 09/17/10

Loc: Arizona
      #4590500 - 05/19/11 12:13 PM

The Losmandy Titan and CGE Pro are in the same weight class so it's fair to compare them. The Titan is about 20% more but and this is a really big 'but' their reputation for accuracy and reliability is impeccable where Celestron's is not. I use a CGE Pro for my C-14 and, with all of the stuff I have on the mount it's carrying about 80 Lbs. After a careful three star alignment, the mount is capable of keeping a guide star within the FOV of the guide chip on my SBIG camera with the tracking turned off for 20 minutes or so. With the camera guiding the mount I have taken as many as 30 5 minute subframes without finding difficulties registering them.

With that said, however, I am VERY uncomfortable recommending that anyone purchase this mount over the Losmandy as Celestron's customer service is non-existent and the quality of their products of late has become very spotty. If I were going to spend $5-6 thousand on a mount again it would not be a CGE Pro.

skybsd
Post Laureate

Re: Which mount for large refractor ? new [Re: Bruce FitzGerald]
      #4590575 - 05/19/11 12:45 PM

Quote:

The Losmandy Titan and CGE Pro are in the same weight class so it's fair to compare them. The Titan is about 20% more but and this is a really big 'but' their reputation for accuracy and reliability is impeccable where Celestron's is not. I use a CGE Pro for my C-14 and, with all of the stuff I have on the mount it's carrying about 80 Lbs. After a careful three star alignment, the mount is capable of keeping a guide star within the FOV of the guide chip on my SBIG camera with the tracking turned off for 20 minutes or so. With the camera guiding the mount I have taken as many as 30 5 minute subframes without finding difficulties registering them.

With that said, however, I am VERY uncomfortable recommending that anyone purchase this mount over the Losmandy as Celestron's customer service is non-existent and the quality of their products of late has become very spotty. If I were going to spend $5-6 thousand on a mount again it would not be a CGE Pro.

You are aware that the OP is in Europe, yes?

What do you believe Losmandy support is like outside of CONUS?

Regards,

skybsd

Bruce FitzGerald
sage

#4590596 - 05/19/11 12:57 PM

Yes I knew the OP was in Europe and given the very poor customer support available from celestron I would not recommend their product for someone who can drive there.

I am not familiar with Losmandy dealers outside the US. But I have used a Losmandy mount on my C8 since 1993 with no problems and no complaints. Their mounts are like jewelry, well made and well finished.

The difficulty with any mount made in America is the manufacturers are small companies. Even Meade and Celestron, which dominate our domestic market, are too small to maintain repair facilities anywhere but at their main facilities.

For that reason alone I would buy the most reliable mout I can find. I also believe you could do much worse than a Losmandy for that price but no better until you get into an Astrophysics mount.

skybsd
Post Laureate

#4590624 - 05/19/11 01:10 PM

Hello,

Quote:

Yes I knew the OP was in Europe and given the very poor customer support available from celestron I would not recommend their product for someone who can drive there.

I am not familiar with Losmandy dealers outside the US. But I have used a Losmandy mount on my C8 since 1993 with no problems and no complaints. Their mounts are like jewelry, well made and well finished.

The difficulty with any mount made in America is the manufacturers are small companies. Even Meade and Celestron, which dominate our domestic market, are too small to maintain repair facilities anywhere but at their main facilities.

For that reason alone I would buy the most reliable mout I can find. I also believe you could do much worse than a Losmandy for that price but no better until you get into an Astrophysics mount.

At the prices of a Titan in Europe, together with non-existent support.., believe me, there are other options.

Regards,

skybsd

Bruce FitzGerald
sage

#4590741 - 05/19/11 02:01 PM

Good point. I would not pay 9000 Eur for that mount. Ordered From Oceanside it sells for about the same as the CGE Pro or 5995 US (4200 Eur).

skybsd
Post Laureate

#4590881 - 05/19/11 03:32 PM

Hello Bruce,

Quote:

Good point. I would not pay 9000 Eur for that mount. Ordered From Oceanside it sells for about the same as the CGE Pro or 5995 US (4200 Eur).

Now you know why to many of us, shipping in an AP is actually well worth the effort and investment

Regards,

skybsd

Kelly Taylor

Reged: 03/24/06

Loc: Groves Texas
      #4593000 - 05/20/11 04:23 PM

You can get GOTO as an option on Mounts from Optic-Craft.
All you have to do is ask.

Kelly Taylor

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2625

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics