Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: Atlas no longer available? new [Re: Krish Mandal]
      #4588691 - 05/18/11 01:17 PM

Quote:

Well, that pretty much puts a de facto stop on my spending and thinking about what I should replace my LXD75 with. Kind of a good thing for the short term, but I really liked the Atlas when I demoed it at NEAF2010 at the Orion booth. Hmmmm...it is a shame though if it's really not going to be anymore.

Well, it looks like you'll still have a shot at it based on the new message on the site. But, if its future feels shaky, you might want to consider the CGEM or iEQ45. So far, I'm lovin' the iEQ45. Keep in mind this is my first GEM so I have nothing to compare it to which makes my opinion ... well, pretty worthless really! But, I'm lovin' it nonetheless!

-Dan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Atlas no longer available? new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #4588713 - 05/18/11 01:33 PM

Quote:

Keep in mind this is my first GEM so I have nothing to compare it to which makes my opinion ... well, pretty worthless really! But, I'm lovin' it nonetheless!

Funny post, Dan. Thanks for the laugh!

Edited by DaveJ (05/18/11 01:34 PM)

Mike Wiles
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/04/09

Loc: Goodyear, AZ
Re: Atlas no longer available? new [Re: DaveJ]
      #4588725 - 05/18/11 01:44 PM

Makes you wonder if all isn't as well at Orion as it could be? I showed up at the site a few days ago to order one of their 190mm Mak Newts as an AP solution around 1000mm focal length and they've discontinued it as well. My first thought? "Rude."

Likely just as simple that I was the only guy who wanted to buy that scope and I waited too long to do it. I sure hope so. I've bought a lot of stuff over the years from Orion and would hate to see them go away.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: Atlas no longer available? new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #4588812 - 05/18/11 02:38 PM

Quote:

Despite Syntelestron's effort to dominate the mid-capacity mass-produced mount market with the CGEM, Atlas sales have remained very strong.

Regards,

Jim

Jim, Where do you find the figures on mount sales? I'm curious to see them myself.

Stan

solshaker
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/06/06

Re: Atlas no longer available? new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #4588859 - 05/18/11 03:09 PM

5/26 is the ship date now. they were probably just updating the expected ship date and in the meantime it said "unavailable".

whew. ive been putting off buying an atlas for the past 3 years as the money was needed elsewhere around the house or car repairs, family vacations, etc. that would really be a bummer if they discontinued it. i dont see any reason they would, though. i imagine its one of their top selling pieces of equipment.

John Wunderlin
Vendor - Spike-a Focusing Mask

Reged: 10/01/04

Loc: Mineral Point, Wi
Re: Atlas no longer available? new [Re: solshaker]
      #4588909 - 05/18/11 03:35 PM

They've been making a lot of website updates recently- probably just a hiccup in their system. Yes, I'm that big of a sorry geek that I look at Orion's website every day for new products...

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #4589025 - 05/18/11 04:54 PM

Quote:

"CGEM must have eaten their market. That's your answer, by the way."

Quite the opposite, really.

Despite Syntelestron's effort to dominate the mid-capacity mass-produced mount market with the CGEM, Atlas sales have remained very strong. Celestron's shoddy QC on its recent mounts (CGE, CGEM and CGE Pro) made the relatively rugged and bulletproof Atlas the safe haven for many unwilling to take a Celestron dice roll.

I suspect this is Syntalestron's effort to exclude a prime competitor for installed base in this mount segment. Synta pulls the plug, and eliminates the #1 marketshare competitor.

Regards,

Jim

We do all realize that these mounts are made by the same company don't we? The QC is the same. The difference is the end seller/distributor and their respective customer service. The reason the company that produces both mounts would pull the plug on "half" their market might be to consolidate manufacturing or to invest in the mount that they make more money on. Competition being the motivating factor alone under these circumstances would make no sense since it is got to be clear to almost anyone that people would simply not switch from one mount brand to the other, especially with a third "competitor" coming on strong.

In the end, I doubt that we have seen the end of the Atlas or the replacement of it.

As far as sales figures go, I doubt that there is anyone with first hand knowledge that could comment on the market share of either of these mounts. That type of information is held pretty tight. I work on more of one mount than the other but that could be because there are more of one mount out there OR that one mount has more perceived trouble than the other. For me there is no way to tell since the problems I work on are the same with both mounts.

Doug76
Long Achro Junkie

Reged: 12/05/07

Loc: Refractor Heaven
Re: Atlas no longer available? new [Re: Old Dinosaur]
      #4589075 - 05/18/11 05:28 PM

Quote:

Where in the world are you people getting the idea that it's been discontinued?

From Orion's site. At least it did say that earlier today.

Doug76
Long Achro Junkie

Re: Atlas no longer available? new [Re: EFT]
      #4589082 - 05/18/11 05:33 PM

Quote:

We do all realize that these mounts are made by the same company don't we?

Yes they are.

Quote:

The QC is the same.

Apparently not. Or, the Atlas is so long established all the bugs were worked out long ago, and the CGEM was rushed into production before the same could be said for it.

Doug76
Long Achro Junkie

Re: Atlas no longer available? new [Re: DanB]
      #4589086 - 05/18/11 05:35 PM

Quote:

Is that the same as an EQ6?

Yep, same mount, but the EQ6 is prettier!

Steve L
journeyman

Reged: 04/26/07

Loc: Bagley, MN
      #4589087 - 05/18/11 05:35 PM

Orion e-mailed me back. The Atlas is back in stock and the website is updated.

Steve L

Doug76
Long Achro Junkie

Re: Atlas no longer available? new [Re: Steve L]
      #4589090 - 05/18/11 05:36 PM

Good news for all.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#4589169 - 05/18/11 06:03 PM

Quote:

"CGEM must have eaten their market. That's your answer, by the way."

Quite the opposite, really.

Despite Syntelestron's effort to dominate the mid-capacity mass-produced mount market with the CGEM, Atlas sales have remained very strong. Celestron's shoddy QC on its recent mounts (CGE, CGEM and CGE Pro) made the relatively rugged and bulletproof Atlas the safe haven for many unwilling to take a Celestron dice roll.

I suspect this is Syntalestron's effort to exclude a prime competitor for installed base in this mount segment. Synta pulls the plug, and eliminates the #1 marketshare competitor.

Regards,

Jim

Sounds reasonable...except...welll...you DO know "Syntelestron" makes the Atlas/EQ-6 as well, right?

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Atlas no longer available? new [Re: Rob E]
      #4589174 - 05/18/11 06:05 PM

I think we can probably put this down to "web mistake." It's shown in stock and qualifying for free shipping, now.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Atlas no longer available? new [Re: Doug76]
      #4589261 - 05/18/11 06:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The QC is the same.

Apparently not. Or, the Atlas is so long established all the bugs were worked out long ago, and the CGEM was rushed into production before the same could be said for it.

Confusing QC with QA.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #4589318 - 05/18/11 07:19 PM

"We do all realize that these mounts are made by the same company don't we?"

Of course. However, when Synta sells a mount under a house brand (Celestron, Skywatcher, etc.) they make more than when a reseller like Orion sells a similar Synta-made mount. The middleman has to make some margin, after all, which is margin that doesn't go to Synta.

"The QC is the same."

Petrhaps though not a given (Orion could specify sampling of 1 in five mounts rather than one in ten, and pay more for it, for example), but if that's true the design, electronics and motors are not the same. No "no response 17" issue, for example, with the Orion or EQ6 mounts, for example.

I would also agree that there are differences in customer service between the two companies, but that doesn't affect how many mounts have issues out of the total number produced. I also realize you work on these mounts, but given the nature of your service, you're only going to see mounts of each type that the owners perceive to be non-optimal or under-performing. You don't see the RMAs for either mount, for example.

Perhaps this is anecdotal, but one rarely reads of a "DOA" Atlas or EQ6. On the other hand, I've read more than a dozen DOA CGEM posts in the last 12 to 18 months. (DOA is a "dead on arrival" to the customer unit). I can't think of any other mount with so many reported DOA units on these forums.

I like both mounts, however, I would expect a greater need for assistance with a CGEM than an Atlas for a variety of reasons (product lifecycle maturity, increased complexity of the drivetrain on the CGEM, increased complexity of the electronics and software/firmware on the CGEM, etc.).

Regards,

Jim

Zaphod

Reged: 11/21/07

#4589447 - 05/18/11 08:28 PM

Hi all

Just got off a chat with Eric at Orion
The rumor is false according to him.

Zaphod

Re: Atlas no longer available? new [Re: Zaphod]
      #4589454 - 05/18/11 08:31 PM

I am very glad to hear that the Atlas is alive and well because mine has not got here yet. Ordered one from Adorama since I don't want the HC and I read hear that that was the only way to aquire one that way.

Zaphod

#4589480 - 05/18/11 08:42 PM

I have a question for those that are familiar with the mount. If you just plug it in does it run a siderial rate without a hand control?
Oh and why did my post count not go up?

Zaphod

#4589482 - 05/18/11 08:44 PM

OK understand the post count now
Sorry I'm a slow learner

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
28 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3864

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics