Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
DanB
No Capos Allowed

Reged: 12/05/07

Loc: Central Oregon High Desert
Re: Atlas no longer available? new [Re: Zaphod]
      #4589504 - 05/18/11 08:54 PM

You have to tell it to track sidreal with the HC. You can do it without all the dates, times and setup routine but you have to enter sidereal rate tracking for it to start.
Dan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Zaphod

Reged: 11/21/07

Re: Atlas no longer available? new [Re: DanB]
      #4589552 - 05/18/11 09:16 PM

Thanks DanB
I was hopeing I might get by without the laptop. Won't be a problem though, if I'm just looking I'll probably use another mount anyway. The Atlas is for those Kodak moments.

Zaphod

#4589572 - 05/18/11 09:33 PM

I am now at over 6 weeks and counting on my wait for an Atlas. This is more painful than my wait for my AT6RC, at least for that one I had dozens of you good folks waiting with me and daily tracking a cargo ship from the far east. This time I don't know what's going on and rumors flying and... Ok I'll quit whinning now It's cloudy anyway

bluedandelion
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/17/07

Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA
      #4589574 - 05/18/11 09:35 PM

Quote:

I am very glad to hear that the Atlas is alive and well because mine has not got here yet. Ordered one from Adorama since I don't want the HC and I read hear that that was the only way to aquire one that way.

Quote:

Thanks DanB
I was hopeing I might get by without the laptop. Won't be a problem though, if I'm just looking I'll probably use another mount anyway. The Atlas is for those Kodak moments.

Do I understand that you did not order the mount with the HC and you want to get by without a laptop, or was that a typo? The mounts don't have any built in electronics to control them.

Ajay

Zaphod

Re: Atlas no longer available? new [Re: bluedandelion]
      #4589600 - 05/18/11 09:47 PM

I plan to use a laptop at all times. I was hoping it was like my C8 though and ran at sidereal or close to it and with the hand control you make corrections and gotos and align and define and shampoo and what have you.

Zaphod

#4589651 - 05/18/11 10:13 PM

Part of my decision to get the Atlas was due to my experience with the LXD75. My hand control went south one evening and even with my laptop by my side I was dead in the water. With the Atlas if the HC croaks you can go laptop to mount direct. So I figured "Don't need no stinking hand control" I'll just laptop direct. Maybe two laptops now that I know what I think I know.
Just trying to be a good Boy Scout and always be prepared.

huckabuck
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/18/07

Loc: statesboro, ga
      #4589687 - 05/18/11 10:40 PM

I know they have been back ordered for awhile but mine shipped out Tuesday. Should be here next Monday.

Possibly because of disruptions in Japan. I notice Pentax is selling off their available stock and may never start up again. (I ordered two of them as well.)

Zaphod

Re: Atlas no longer available? new [Re: huckabuck]
      #4589728 - 05/18/11 11:06 PM

Congrats on your shipping date huckabuck. I'm about to go ApeShirt waiting for mine to get here. What did you get two of from the fine folks at Pentax? Eyepieces?

Edited by Zaphod (05/18/11 11:11 PM)

huckabuck
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/18/07

Loc: statesboro, ga
      #4590130 - 05/19/11 08:22 AM

Well...since you asked. I ordered a Pentax 7mm and 20mm XW. Also a 2" 4x tv powermate along with the 1 1/4" 2.5x tv powermate.

Bill W.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/09/05

Loc: Western PA, USA
Re: Atlas no longer available? new [Re: huckabuck]
      #4590173 - 05/19/11 09:02 AM

You need to use EQDIR, EDMOD and Ascom to do 'laptop direct' with the Atlas without a HC.

-Bill

phxbird
sage

Reged: 12/24/07

Loc: New Mexico, USA
Re: Atlas no longer available? new [Re: Bill W.]
      #4590180 - 05/19/11 09:10 AM

I am using an old HP laptop to run my Sirius Mount (pretty much the same as the atlas, a little lighter though.) It works very well though there is a pretty steep learning curve.

JoLo
sage

Reged: 02/09/10

Loc: Highland, IL
Re: Atlas no longer available? new [Re: Rob E]
      #4590383 - 05/19/11 11:15 AM

I ordered a new Atlas yesterday (5/18) and it shipped last night. My UPS notification says I will receive it on Tuesday, 5/24.

Yannis

Reged: 09/07/10

Loc: Greece
Re: Atlas no longer available? new [Re: JoLo]
      #4590439 - 05/19/11 11:37 AM

If you have managed to start it with a hand controller, even if you unplug it or it dies, the mount will continue tracking. It just needs to receive the "Unpark" command.

But there must be the controllers (did not find any sold separately) that come with the "Syntrek" version that there are just 4 buttons for direction and a couple to select track rate. You may find one of those second hand.

dgpilot
sage

Reged: 09/25/09

Loc: Dublin, California
Re: Atlas no longer available? new [Re: Yannis]
      #4591113 - 05/19/11 05:45 PM

When I got my atlas a month ago it was clear that it was a hot item, always sold out. I waited about 3 weeks for mine. It's clear that Orion would have no intention on stopping production on these, that would be a terrible business decision

Al Miller
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/25/08

Loc: South, Texas
Re: Atlas no longer available? new [Re: dgpilot]
      #4591296 - 05/19/11 07:33 PM

Good to hear it's not going away anytime soon. You folks who have one on the way will love it!

Don Allen
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/07/05

Loc: Charleston, SC
Re: Atlas no longer available? new [Re: phxbird]
      #4591413 - 05/19/11 08:46 PM

Phxbird,

Are you using your "big gun" on the Sirius?

herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
Re: Atlas no longer available? new [Re: Don Allen]
      #4591495 - 05/19/11 09:28 PM

So I guess Aunt Marge isn't having an affair after all.

NewAstronomer
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/03/04

Loc: Northeast, PA U.S.A
Re: Atlas no longer available? new [Re: herrointment]
      #4592236 - 05/20/11 09:25 AM

From the looks of this thread it seems Atlas sales are strong to very strong. I'd say a little Q1 dry up in supply from China always happens as well (new year, workers traveling etc). Glad I got one a few years ago, seems like the most reliable mount in its price class out there.

That being said I'm using my mini tower more than my Atlas, its simply easier to pick it up and move outside, totally assembled, with a 4" refractor attached, using batteries. Coupled with an astro-video camera, my Atlas is collecting dust!

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Atlas no longer available? new [Re: dgpilot]
      #4593117 - 05/20/11 05:34 PM

Quote:

When I got my atlas a month ago it was clear that it was a hot item, always sold out. I waited about 3 weeks for mine. It's clear that Orion would have no intention on stopping production on these, that would be a terrible business decision

Well, it's not their production to stop. This is the same mount as the EQ-6 and is made by Synta. Orion is the dealer.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Atlas no longer available? new [Re: rmollise]
      #4593289 - 05/20/11 07:25 PM

Of course. However, does Synelestron make more on a Skywatcher/CGEM sold under a house brand, or on a unit that is resold by a dealer? The dealer takes some of the manufacturer's margin, or else the dealer wouldn't be dealing.

I'm thinking I'll buy, test, and then shelve an Atlas, just in case. It'd be nice to have a "known-good" back up Atlas ready for the sad day when the tired old one calls it quits.

Regards,

Jim

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
23 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3891

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics