Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/09/06

Re: Tripod for Paramount MX new [Re: Nick Black]
      #4638813 - 06/14/11 02:56 PM Attachment (49 downloads)

Quote:

Joe,
Which tripod are you referring to? I picked up a Tri36M from Rob, which is what he recommends for the MX, and the length of the legs is not adjustable.
Nick

Yes, you are correct, the legs are not variable length but they can be ordered at almost any length one might want.

The spread of the legs allows the height to be adjusted by over four inches on the 36 inch leg length model. The variable spread of the legs allows the tripod to be leveled over about a 5 inch change in slope. The leg levelers pictured allow a further one inch of adjustment per leg.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Nick Black
journeyman

Reged: 05/05/08

Loc: Amarillo, TX
Re: Tripod for Paramount MX new [Re: M13 Observer]
      #4638841 - 06/14/11 03:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Joe,
Which tripod are you referring to? I picked up a Tri36M from Rob, which is what he recommends for the MX, and the length of the legs is not adjustable.
Nick

Yes, you are correct, the legs are not variable length but they can be ordered at almost any length one might want.

The spread of the legs allows the height to be adjusted by over four inches on the 36 inch leg length model. The variable spread of the legs allows the tripod to be leveled over about a 5 inch change in slope. The leg levelers pictured allow a further one inch of adjustment per leg.

Ah, now I understand. Thanks for the clarification.
Nick

jmiele
Patron Saint?

Reged: 12/04/10

#4639031 - 06/14/11 05:35 PM

You can move the legs in and out by loosening the screw and pulling up on the gold knob. I'm referring to the black spreaders between the tray and the legs. Moving a leg out in essence raises it. Joe

Edit: Sorry I didn't see 13's response before a wrote that

Edited by jmiele (06/14/11 05:36 PM)

PascalN

Reged: 04/13/08

Loc: Plano, Texas
Re: Tripod for Paramount MX new [Re: PascalN]
      #4639109 - 06/14/11 06:31 PM

Levelers ordered from Rob Miller. Should get them by beginning of July.

Pascal

Nick Black
journeyman

Reged: 05/05/08

Loc: Amarillo, TX
Re: Tripod for Paramount MX new [Re: jmiele]
      #4639124 - 06/14/11 06:39 PM

Quote:

You can move the legs in and out by loosening the screw and pulling up on the gold knob. I'm referring to the black spreaders between the tray and the legs. Moving a leg out in essence raises it. Joe

Edit: Sorry I didn't see 13's response before a wrote that

Thanks Joe. I was aware you could adjust the stance, but never really considered using that functionality to adjust for slope. I will now!

jmiele
Patron Saint?

#4639392 - 06/14/11 09:49 PM

Nick,You get about 4 inches of adjustment. The levelers add another inch. You will love it!

PascalN, Good deal they are most defiantly worth it. I'm also looking into 10-32 threaded double locking caster as well. Joe

M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

#4639537 - 06/14/11 11:25 PM

Quote:

Nick,You get about 4 inches of adjustment. The levelers add another inch. You will love it!

PascalN, Good deal they are most defiantly worth it. I'm also looking into 10-32 threaded double locking caster as well. Joe

Casters? This is one I haven't heard about. Any pics or further info?

jmiele
Patron Saint?

#4639551 - 06/14/11 11:37 PM

My project not Robs. I found a source for the double locking caster like used to be an option with the ATS Piers. One locks the wheels from rotating 360, the other stop the wheel from turning. Joe

M13 Observer
scholastic sledgehammer

#4639607 - 06/15/11 12:39 AM

Quote:

My project not Robs. I found a source for the double locking caster like used to be an option with the ATS Piers. One locks the wheels from rotating 360, the other stop the wheel from turning. Joe

Aaaaahhh! That makes sense in some ways. I am not sure I would want to stress the legs in compression too much. The design is all about tension provided by vertical loading.

jmiele
Patron Saint?

#4639629 - 06/15/11 12:59 AM

That's a good point as well. This design is light and as a result things need to be just so. To me, the levelers should be required on them. I like that the load is forced straight down onto the pivoting foot. Joe

vman69au
journeyman

Reged: 06/20/11

#4657097 - 06/24/11 09:56 PM

Anyone comment with experience how stable these are for a mount like paramount MX or AP900 compared to a portable pier.

Here is a pic of my current pier and trying to decide if i should get something more portable like Robs tripods but dont want to sacrifice stability.

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

Reged: 09/11/06

Loc: Bolton, MA
Re: Tripod for Paramount MX new [Re: vman69au]
      #4657147 - 06/24/11 10:29 PM

nice rig!

and welcome to CN vman69au!

i really like the lines of MI250's

jmiele
Patron Saint?

Re: Tripod for Paramount MX new [Re: vman69au]
      #4657297 - 06/25/11 12:31 AM

Very nice. Rob's tripods are GREAT! As stable an the AP Pier IME. I had an 8" AP pier. Also, extremely light. The Med is for the MX I think. Did you get a ship date? I know they were assembling the new hand paddles this week. They look very neat. I'm getting one for the ME. Joe

Dan Crowson
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/08/10

Loc: O'Fallon, MO
      #5681237 - 02/15/13 11:36 AM

I know this is an old thread but I'm not sure on where else to ask. I've tried sending an email to Rob Miller a couple times (the only way to contact him on his site) and I haven't received a reply. Is he still doing this work?

Thanks,

Dan

ASTERON
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/24/07

Loc: ISRAEL
Re: Tripod for Paramount MX new [Re: Dan Crowson]
      #5681883 - 02/15/13 04:18 PM

Dan,
Rob Miller is probably trying to establish a new company.
There is another thread in this forum with all the rumors and available info about why he does not respond to any e-mails.
some people claim to have talked to him over the phone and he said he is going to be opening for bussiness by April or May.
Note - these are all second hand information so should be taken with a grain or two of salt.
The facts are that I have been trying to contact him by e-mail for a month now- still no response.

Edited by ASTERON (02/15/13 04:20 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5022

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics