Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)
Alph
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/23/06

Loc: Melmac
Re: Telescope Drive Master - The Truth of the Matter new [Re: jmiele]
      #4887331 - 10/29/11 05:22 PM

Quote:

I've purchased a 1200, 900 and Mach I this year. None of which came with anything below 4 arc second PE - with the AP training. I've purchased both a Paramount ME and Paramount MX this year as well.

I am curious as to what you do with all those mounts?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jmiele
Patron Saint?

Reged: 12/04/10

Re: Telescope Drive Master - The Truth of the Matter new [Re: Ray Gralak]
      #4887374 - 10/29/11 05:48 PM

" I think I've seen many more PE curves than you have and for sure the AP and Bisque mounts average about the same 2.1-2.5 arc-secs uncorrected. I've seen some exceptional curves for both Paramounts and APs. I've seen some bad curves for BOTH mounts too."

I'll have to concede this point to you with regard to the number of viewed curves. I also, don't disagree there are bad and good from all things. My point was that you eluded to the AP's and no other mounts. As you are currently contracted to work with them developing AP product, I think you should consider the ToS that's all. I've been a support of yours Ray and I'm not looking to:

Have an issues between us
Have folks get un unbalanced view of things

I hope we can do both of those things.

" I'm sorry if this maybe throws a wrench into your list but my Paramount ME does not point very well with the supplied software. But I don't think it is the Paramount. I think the supplied software has a bug in it. If you would like to log onto my New Mexico Skies system with me and see on the next clear night maybe you can fix it for me! :-)))"

As you stated and I agreed, there are good and bad in all things. As a software developer in this field, and given the ToS, I just don't find (once again) your commenting on other (competing) software, and your thinking they have a bug, appropriate - at all. As to assisting with the problem, I'd be glad to. Given your "all be it written" tone and smiley, I believe you meant that facetiously. It implies you don't need my help and are above me and my ability. I on the other hand don't believe I'm better than anyone and am always looking to learn or assist. So, I would still be willing to assist. As the IT Crisis Manager of a fortune 50 company over 25 years I may well be able to help. My background in software development and Sigma 6 software quality assurance certification most certainly say so.

"LOL! Are you kidding me!? Does the Paramount ME come with a PC in it's package? If not then it's dead in the water! (Not so with an AP! )"

The point was - with it's supplied software. The Paramount ME and MX are supplied with advanced pointing/modeling and navigation software. As to them coming with a PC, I think you know the answer, however the technology within these mounts is certainly more advanced than many PC's.

"Have a nice day, Joe. I need to get back to work!"

Same to you Ray, and yes you do, or my AP mounts will never point straight.

Apologies to the thread for the distraction. I won't pursue this further here.

Joe

jmiele
Patron Saint?

Re: Telescope Drive Master - The Truth of the Matter new [Re: Alph]
      #4887377 - 10/29/11 05:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I've purchased a 1200, 900 and Mach I this year. None of which came with anything below 4 arc second PE - with the AP training. I've purchased both a Paramount ME and Paramount MX this year as well.

I'm in search of intelligent life on Melmac. So far, no dice.

Joe

Alph
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Telescope Drive Master - The Truth of the Matter new [Re: jmiele]
      #4887427 - 10/29/11 06:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm in search of intelligent life on Melmac. So far, no dice.

Joe

Well, every intelligent person on Earth knows that Melmac was destroyed.

jmiele
Patron Saint?

#4887432 - 10/29/11 06:23 PM

LOL..

Joe

MeadeEurope
Vendor (Bresser Europe)

Reged: 11/19/08

Loc: Germany
      #4887968 - 10/30/11 01:06 AM

Dear Ray,

this is not true. Sampling frequency with 1/8" resolution is of course 8*15"/sec=120Hz. So 5Hz correction is very well within limits.

Clear skies

Tassilo

MeadeEurope
Vendor (Bresser Europe)

Re: Telescope Drive Master - The Truth of the Matter *DELETED* new [Re: Ray Gralak]
      #4887977 - 10/30/11 01:19 AM

Post deleted by David Pavlich

MeadeEurope
Vendor (Bresser Europe)

#4887988 - 10/30/11 01:30 AM

Dear Ray,

sorry, but I do doubt very much that with your setup you are able to measure +-0,2" with any reliability. Just apply the Nyquist theorems to your image scale and add the seeing.
You are right that high end gear does not go down in price in time with the same percentage as cheap gear. But it starts with a much higher price, so the loss in total usually can be very well in the same size.
Donīt get me wrong - I like high end stuff. But always remember that % donīt feed you - itīs $ that are important.

Clear skies

Tassilo

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Re: Telescope Drive Master - The Truth of the Matter new [Re: MeadeEurope]
      #4887994 - 10/30/11 01:38 AM

So much passion in this topic

Lets agree to disagree.

Each product has it's benefits and optimal use scenario. Each has it's positive and negative sides. So instead of slugging it out like a boxing match, maybe we could try and see each product works best?

This is beginning to look like a PC vs. Mac discussion.

Ray Gralak
Vendor (PEMPro)

Reged: 04/19/08

#4888318 - 10/30/11 10:23 AM

Quote:

Dear Ray,

if you doubt the roundness of the stars for longer exposures with the TDM, take a look at the 10min shot Dennis di Cicco did in the Sky and Telescope review with 4000mm focal length. We do also have pictures like this from other 16"LX200 owners with 15min.
You know the picture from Dennis, so where is your point?

Clear skies

Tassilo

Sorry, I'm not familiar with those images. Could you please provide me a link(s)? Thanks!

-Ray

Ray Gralak
Vendor (PEMPro)

#4888319 - 10/30/11 10:24 AM

Dear Tassilo,
Quote:

Dear Ray,

this is not true. Sampling frequency with 1/8" resolution is of course 8*15"/sec=120Hz. So 5Hz correction is very well within limits.

Clear skies

Tassilo

Respectfully, you are incorrect. It doesn't matter how fast you *internally* sample (e.g. 120 Hz). You cannot correct frequencies faster than 2.5 Hz with 5 Hz *physical* corrections.

-Ray

Ray Gralak
Vendor (PEMPro)

Re: Telescope Drive Master - The Truth of the Matter *DELETED* new [Re: MeadeEurope]
      #4888323 - 10/30/11 10:26 AM

Post deleted by David Pavlich

Alph
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Telescope Drive Master - The Truth of the Matter new [Re: Hilmi]
      #4888512 - 10/30/11 12:30 PM

Quote:

This is beginning to look like a PC vs. Mac discussion.

Many owners of very expensive equipment feel compelled to defend their purchasing decisions. They don’t like to be reminded that you can achieve same results with modest equipment.

psandelle
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Los Angeles
      #4888543 - 10/30/11 12:50 PM

I think part of the problem is there's no clear-cut definitive answer. I know Alph likes the possibilities of the new Meade; we have some strong votes for the TDM; obviously AP & Bisque have solutions. Me, I like Taks because their polar scopes are so good (and are nicely made, but no PEC) - so it's quick in the field.

There's no "easy" end-all, be-all solution. You go Bisque, it's dang complicated and somewhat lengthy when you go out in the field (not so much with a Tak). The TDM is a one-step solution to a real problem, but it is pricey in some regards. AP - great fit and finish, waiting on the new software.

Sigh - I really wish there were one mount that had a Tak polar scope, the TDM on the RA and the fit and finish of the high ends, was as automatic as the Meade might be, but wasn't up over 20 grand.

Paul

Alph
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Telescope Drive Master - The Truth of the Matter new [Re: psandelle]
      #4888562 - 10/30/11 01:05 PM

Quote:

The TDM is a one-step solution to a real problem, but it is pricey in some regards.

Tassilo,
Can you hear the voice of people? Lower the price by replacing the electronics box with a laptop. At least this should be an option.

BlueGrass
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/25/09

Loc: Wasatch Front, UT
      #4888592 - 10/30/11 01:28 PM

Frankly, I would NOT spend another $2k on 'upgrading' my CGEM with this add-on. It is still a CGEM with all of its possible motor, PCB and HC failures. These reoccurring failures are posted here regularly.

The justification you refer to can be given in two words: Quality and Reliability.

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: Telescope Drive Master - The Truth of the Matter new [Re: BlueGrass]
      #4888644 - 10/30/11 02:13 PM

And poor support with 6 week minimum wait times!

gdd
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/05

Loc: N Seattle suburb, WA
      #4888692 - 10/30/11 02:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The TDM is a one-step solution to a real problem, but it is pricey in some regards.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tassilo,
Can you hear the voice of people? Lower the price by replacing the electronics box with a laptop. At least this should be an option.

Hi Alph,

While I am sure that using a mass produced laptop that you probably already have is cheaper than the the electronic box, the real problem is the return on investment Tasillo must be able to make on a niche product to make it worth his time. Otherwise he would need to make his money elsewhere and treat the TDM as a hobby.

Gale

dawziecat
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: Rural Nova Scotia
      #4888747 - 10/30/11 03:06 PM

At $2220 (incl an adapter for a G11), this is not going to be flying out the door.
I don't think the market will bear it. Without drastic price reduction, this thing will be a failure in the marketplace.

My opinion.

harry page 1

Reged: 07/25/09

Re: Telescope Drive Master - The Truth of the Matter new [Re: dawziecat]
      #4888801 - 10/30/11 03:27 PM

Hi
This hobby is not cheap and if you add up what a lot of us spend on cameras , mounts ,scopes . filters and software etc it is not beyond a lot of peoples budget.
Of course you can move the TDM from scope to scope so IMO it will do well

Regards Harry

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18156

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics