Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
wildboar

Reged: 03/22/10

Loc: Ohio
Re: Simply the best hand controller on the planet! new [Re: Daniel Mounsey]
      #4940551 - 11/29/11 09:39 AM

Another great thing about mobile SkySafari is having your observing lists available with just a couple taps of the screen. No awkward menus, no 'arrowing' up/down long lists of stuff you are not interested in.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Simply the best hand controller on the planet! new [Re: Poochpa]
      #4940821 - 11/29/11 12:19 PM

I'd say Sky Safari has rendered Tak's new, but yet to be shipped, Frankenhandcontroller obsolete already. Why pay $1000 for that beast when for less you can have a slick, touch screen device, powerful application and listen to your music while you gaze.

Personally I think Tak should scrap their controller and instead partner with Southern Stars to develop an enhanced Takahashi version of the Sky Safari App.

- Jim

jwaldo
Smart Mime

Reged: 04/26/04

Loc: Simi Valley, CA
Re: Simply the best hand controller on the planet! new [Re: mlanglois]
      #4940882 - 11/29/11 12:54 PM

Quote:

Trombone,

It does have a dark mode (red illuminated.) Unfortunately, unless the iPhone/iPad is in fairly constant use it will go to sleep. When that happens, you turn it back on to the last used app screen... in normal, bright, white backlighting.

IIRC the newest version has an option to disable sleep mode when SkySafari is running.

That said, I love SkySafari. I just wish there was an option to connect it through a PC instead of a dedicated device, so I could run PHD and whatnot at the same time...

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Simply the best hand controller on the planet! new [Re: jwaldo]
      #4940922 - 11/29/11 01:17 PM

Perhaps in a generation or so of i-devices, we'll have imaging utilities as Apps and also sufficient solid state storage on these devices to render laptops in the field totally obsolete (i.e., 256-512GB storage, imaging Apps, 24 hour in-use battery life, etc.).

Think different.

I also note that Sky Safari is available for Apple computers (OS X):

http://www.southernstars.com/products/skysafari_mac/index.html

So if imaging applications are available for OS X, you could go that route in the field too.

Regards,

- Jim

Edited by jrbarnett (11/29/11 01:32 PM)

Daniel Mounsey
Vendor (Woodland Hills)

Reged: 06/12/02

Re: Simply the best hand controller on the planet! new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #4941020 - 11/29/11 02:06 PM

Quote:

I'd say Sky Safari has rendered Tak's new, but yet to be shipped, Frankenhandcontroller obsolete already. Why pay $1000 for that beast when for less you can have a slick, touch screen device, powerful application and listen to your music while you gaze.

Personally I think Tak should scrap their controller and instead partner with Southern Stars to develop an enhanced Takahashi version of the Sky Safari App.

- Jim

I'd have to agree. We've been waiting and the controllers have been on back order for a really long time with more delays so I'm not sure at this point anymore. The customers I had waiting for them are just using Sky Safari now. I think Sky Safari is the best thing out there now and the object descriptions are better than anything else on the market.

Tomvictor
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/09/04

Loc: N.59.11.47. Sweden
      #4942740 - 11/30/11 02:44 PM

With that on the Tak it would be lightyears ahead the pack..

Cotts
Just Wondering

Reged: 10/10/05

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Re: Simply the best hand controller on the planet! new [Re: Tomvictor]
      #4944170 - 12/01/11 11:39 AM Attachment (48 downloads)

Here's a screengrab of the list of mounts that Sky Safari can work with...

I do see a Tak at the bottom...

Dave

Daniel Mounsey
Vendor (Woodland Hills)

Re: Simply the best hand controller on the planet! new [Re: Cotts]
      #4945044 - 12/01/11 08:25 PM

Dave,
The only one on the list that's baffling is the Vixen SXW. I understand you have to use a router

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
      #4945097 - 12/01/11 09:05 PM

After one of my observing buddies showed me Sky Safari on his iPhone I downloaded the Plus version. It's both elegant and amazing, and I've been greatly interested in this thread.

In particular, I think it could be an awesome tool for the owner of a large Dob to control ServoCAT wirelessly with an iPhone. You'd "never" have to come down off the ladder. Is this possible? Anyone doing this now?

mikeschuster

Reged: 08/25/11

Loc: SF Bay area
Re: Simply the best hand controller on the planet! new [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #4945118 - 12/01/11 09:20 PM

Jim I agree with you on the Tak controller. It is obsolete before it ships. SkyWire connector is a problem. Not designed well for a lot of movement and outdoor use IMO. The straight wire too is a problem, spiral wire stress relief would help. Nite mode is worthless because of the occasional bright screens and buttons. Rubylith works well for all apps too. A problem on cold nights with gloves, touch doesn't work so well. To solve this problem I use a stylus, it has a small foam tip. Pinching is impossible with it, but fortunately SFP has + and - buttons for zooming, so actually stylus works great with gloves. My version of SFP doesn't work well with AP GTO, very often the mount gets confused and trys to slew under the pier. Have not figured out a solution to this problem yet. Have not tried with Tak, will see shortly how well that works or not.

wpappas53

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: The Villages, Fl
      #4945174 - 12/01/11 10:01 PM

Jeff, I use SkySafari on iPad and SkiFi on my Dob, no need for a ladder as mine is 14.5 inches but you are correct when hooked up to the ServoCat it works excellent. You might have to get off the ladder and move it out of the way of the scope though when going to new targets.

Regards,

Bill

OneDaveT
sage

Reged: 10/24/11

Loc: IL, USA
Re: Simply the best hand controller on the planet! new [Re: wpappas53]
      #4945367 - 12/02/11 12:58 AM

I completely agree Wildboar....

Before I go out, I put together my observation list labeled by intended date on the iPad in SkySafari. I have an Orion StarSeeker WiFi device (same as SkyFi), such that SkySafari then tells telescope where to go wirelessly, stepping through my list, or through the time relevant Best View list.

I picked up a copy of SkySafari on my Mac, just to do some star mapping on a big screen. While it appears to be able to connect and control the scope too, I haven't used that feature yet.

I leaned to use a case for the iPad, or else deal with all the condensation that builds up. I haven't noticed any problems with the cold even below freezing. I can't say the same about my NextStar hand controller 2 line LCD, which is barely legible when it scrolls in the cold. Controlling with an iPhone or iTouch, that can just go in a pocket.

Before going out, I change the lock screen and wall paper to something black/red to avoid getting blasted by the light when I wake up the device.

enjoy,
Dave

bilgebayModerator
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmari...
      #4945377 - 12/02/11 01:16 AM Attachment (31 downloads)

Quote:

Quote:

Sweet

By the way, are you putting rubylith on your phone when you use it for tracking? I remember the thread where you talked about light pollution/not having fully dark adapted eyes being preferable when viewing planets, but what about those double stars?

If you are putting rubylith over your phone, what are you using to attach it? I currently use "Tac 'N Stik" for my laptop, but I figure using that on a phone would get in the way of the screen.

Perhaps Sky Safari has a "dark mode" like Stellarium?

-James

Since the screen is so small I don't use the Rubylith but for the Ipad I do if I'm at a really dark sight. I view doubles and don't concern myself with dark adaption unless it's a really faint star. I place it into the protective housing of the Ipad.

It's been almost a year and a half that I have been using this wonderful hand control with my Vixen New Atlux mount, earlier in combination with Starbook and since last april together with NexAtlux board and Celestron hand controller. With the former, it was performing even the initial alignment. But that's not a big deal.

Daniel you are right about the Tak controller and I can add that this combo also renders Starbook Ten obsolete!

As for the night vision, I have a solution with rubylith that I have been using since the beginning:

bilgebayModerator
Post Laureate

Re: Simply the best hand controller on the planet! new [Re: bilgebay]
      #4945383 - 12/02/11 01:20 AM Attachment (47 downloads)

I slide my iPhone into this tight fitting rubylith envelope and then put it back to its rubber sleeve. This works like a charm for me. I can use all the other apps without destroying my night vision and pop up screens are also well covered.

bilgebayModerator
Post Laureate

#4945388 - 12/02/11 01:26 AM Attachment (44 downloads)

One last photo...

I want to thank Tammiji Homma who was the first to use Sky Safari with a Vixen mount as far as I know. He ironed out all the issues and shared the solutions with us.

Clear skies

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
Re: Simply the best hand controller on the planet! new [Re: wpappas53]
      #4946196 - 12/02/11 02:34 PM

Quote:

Jeff, I use SkySafari on iPad and SkiFi on my Dob, no need for a ladder as mine is 14.5 inches but you are correct when hooked up to the ServoCat it works excellent. You might have to get off the ladder and move it out of the way of the scope though when going to new targets.

Regards,

Bill

A handheld star chart and telescope controller. Sounds like a game-changer to me. Is Argo Navis still required, or does Sky Safari drive the ServoCat control box directly?

Daniel Mounsey
Vendor (Woodland Hills)

#4946504 - 12/02/11 05:24 PM

Sedat, thanks for telling us about Tammy's thread, I just looked for it and posted in it. I PM'd Tammy about it. Also, we use Sky Safari with the 14.5" Starmaster, I'll post a pic as soon as my friend sends it. Also, I like the red overlay you did that's pretty smart.

Daniel Mounsey
Vendor (Woodland Hills)

#4946518 - 12/02/11 05:31 PM

Jeff, I'll post some pics of my friends Starmaster goto system with Sky Safari. It's very cool. Once the Skay Safari is aligned we don't even use the Sky Commander. Hands down, I think this program has got every beat by a long shot. It's small and it's incredibly powerful but for me, I mostly love it because it simply transforms my books back to life.

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/20/10

#4946543 - 12/02/11 05:43 PM

Can't find Struve 3009 in my sky safaro pro

Can u check it fir me?

John Jarosz
Astro Gearhead

Reged: 04/25/04

Loc: Fairfax, Iowa
Re: Simply the best hand controller on the planet! new [Re: HowardK]
      #4947518 - 12/03/11 09:19 AM

I just bought the Pro version. Eventually I'll get it going with my G11. (My Gemini is non-functional right now - I think the main board is toast) But the display is so well done! Best I've seen on my ipod Touch. How come no one mentions the display? I realize the advanced function being telescope control, but just the display is worth it. Visually is the display the same on the non-pro version? If so, it's a killer app for stargazing in general.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
25 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7061

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics