Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
SDTopensied

Reged: 04/25/11

Loc: Atlanta
Re: Sky-Watcher AZ4 mount new [Re: rmollise]
      #5308811 - 07/08/12 07:01 PM

My apologies for bumping an old thread, but for the benefit of those who might want to know...

I used an Explore Scientific ES AR127 on mine with no issues. 15 pounds with accessories and 39" long with the diagonal at focus with a 30 mm eyepiece.

The lack of slow motion controls was an issue at high magnification. However, you can mitigate some of this problem by balancing the scope and re-lubricating the mount as mentioned above.

On a side note, if you live in the Northern hemisphere, you'll have to disassemble the azimuth portion of the mount and turn the degree circle upsidedown.

Edited by SDTopensied (07/08/12 07:11 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rustie

Reged: 04/07/05

Loc: Southampton, UK
Re: Sky-Watcher AZ4 mount new [Re: SDTopensied]
      #5454806 - 10/04/12 09:58 AM

I'm currently using my steel tripod equipped AZ4 with an Orion Optics 200mm F4.5 newtonian. Handles it without any problems, also damps quickly. Eyepiece is perfectly placed for comfortable viewing. And the whole thing can be carried with one hand.
Should be mentioned that the Orion Optics newt are a fair bit lighter than the similar sized Synta and GSO newts. Mine for instance weighs 7kg all up, not much more than the Synta 150 F5. And being F4.5 its also not a long tube.
Only snag is the tube hits the legs at 75deg above horizon.

xcy
sage

Reged: 05/15/06

Loc: Europe
Re: Sky-Watcher AZ4 mount new [Re: Rustie]
      #5649993 - 01/29/13 10:25 AM

I am testing a long refractor and I have a question for all that are using the Orion Versago II HD or the Sky-Watcher AZ-4. After balancing and applying maximum tension on the altitude axis knob the refractor does not feel very secured on the mount. If I touch the focuser or apply some pressure on the handle it moves the refractor in either direction. Is this supposed to happen?

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Sky-Watcher AZ4 mount new [Re: xcy]
      #5650380 - 01/29/13 01:53 PM

How long and how heavy?

xcy
sage

Re: Sky-Watcher AZ4 mount new [Re: rmollise]
      #5650458 - 01/29/13 02:32 PM

Quote:

How long and how heavy?

4" f/9 and approximately 5kg.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5650713 - 01/29/13 04:41 PM

The weight shouldn't be too much of a problem. Length might be pushing it a bit. But I've had good results both with a 3-inch f/11 refractor and a C8. The solution might be some vibration supression pads.

Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/09/09

Loc: Abilene, Kansas
      #5650724 - 01/29/13 04:48 PM

Quote:

I am testing a long refractor and I have a question for all that are using the Orion Versago II HD or the Sky-Watcher AZ-4. After balancing and applying maximum tension on the altitude axis knob the refractor does not feel very secured on the mount. If I touch the focuser or apply some pressure on the handle it moves the refractor in either direction. Is this supposed to happen?

Not sure what you mean by "moves the refractor in either direction" but I tried my 4" f/9.8 refractor once on my Versago and it did have vibrations(can't remember how much)but it felt secure in the dove tail saddle and I don't recall it slipping up or down.

Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

#5650754 - 01/29/13 05:05 PM Attachment (57 downloads)

I just put my scope on the Versago and I didn't tighten down the altitude knob very tight and it feels solid to me. Tapping on the focuser or the handle didn't cause any movement. When tapping on the focuser it dampens in about 2 seconds.

xcy
sage

Re: Sky-Watcher AZ4 mount new [Re: Locoman]
      #5651161 - 01/29/13 09:04 PM

I am not talking about vibrations, but about applying some pressure on the focuser or on the handle (either down or up) resulting the optical tube to slip in the direction where the force is applied (even if the knob is fully tighten). Maybe there is a way to increase the maximum tension that can be applied on the altitude axis knob?

Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

#5651514 - 01/30/13 01:35 AM

I nudged mine up and down on the focuser and the handle and the scope moved in the direction I pushed it and it stops when I stop applying pressure. It doesn't keep going and I don't have the knob tightened all the way.

xcy
sage

#5651962 - 01/30/13 10:15 AM

Quote:

I nudged mine up and down on the focuser and the handle and the scope moved in the direction I pushed it and it stops when I stop applying pressure. It doesn't keep going and I don't have the knob tightened all the way.

If you tighten the knob all the way and tap the focuser or the handle a little (not force it) does it still move?

Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

#5652054 - 01/30/13 11:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

If you tighten the knob all the way and tap the focuser or the handle a little (not force it) does it still move?

No,it doesn't. Only a little vibration.

xcy
sage

#5652113 - 01/30/13 11:34 AM

Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the tension on the altitude axis so it allows more tightening?

Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

#5652166 - 01/30/13 12:00 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know if there is a way to adjust the tension on the altitude axis so it allows more tightening?

Hold the Alt knob tight and push downn on the scope near the focuser.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
24 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6572

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics