Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
UnderTheWeather
journeyman

Reged: 10/27/12

Re: New Skywatcher Mounts new [Re: TMSP]
      #5506262 - 11/06/12 01:35 AM

Hello
If you check out the Canadian site ca.skywatcher.com and look under the goto mounts, the AZ-EQ 6 still uses the traditional hand controller.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: New Skywatcher Mounts new [Re: EFT]
      #5506416 - 11/06/12 07:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks PBO. The 8 looks nice, but was dreaming about the AZ EQ6. Hopefully, one of the first adopters hits this list on both of these.

Anyone have an opinion on Skywatcher mounts in general and the Computer handbox?

The SkyWatcher and Orion mounts are identical (Synscan) so there is no difference. However, the AZ EQ6 is suppose to have the new graphic hand controller. This is a bit of a concern since the Synscan, while not great, is a know commodity and the Synscan mounts work with EQMOD. It is a big question how the new hand controller will work and whether there will be EQMOD compatibility. Thoughts of the Starbook come to mind and that would be unfortunate. Hate to go from robust and functional to pretty and stupid.

Hi Ed:

I've talked to a couple of folks overseas who've used the Tour, and their reports were very positive, including increased go-to accuracy. HOWEVER...I've also heard that Synta is NOT shipping the Tour with the AZ, "just" the good, old SynScan we know and love. We shall see...

TMSP

Reged: 07/21/12

Re: New Skywatcher Mounts new [Re: rmollise]
      #5506708 - 11/06/12 11:23 AM

So UR, is your know and love comment tong in check, or do you like the SynScan for real?

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5506735 - 11/06/12 11:42 AM

Quote:

So UR, is your know and love comment tong in check, or do you like the SynScan for real?

Not tongue in cheek at all. Oh, I used to dis it...but I stopped after:

1. I learned to read the manual. The SynScan is pickier about star alignment star choices than the NexStar. In the past you couldn't just accept the first two stars it offered. If you follow the advice in the manual as to alignment star choice, go-to performance is excellent. And the recent firmware brings the SynScan much closer to the NexStar as far as alignment stars goes. I DID just accept what the HC offered when I was testing the beta firmware down in Chiefland, and go-tos were usually good:

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-herschel-project-phase-ii-nights-1...

2. Continuing upgrades to the HC firmware have added an AllStar type polar alignment routine and other good stuff.

I do usually still use EQMOD for imaging, but, yes, I have made friends with the SynScan, finally.

astro_baby
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/17/08

Loc: United Kingdom
      #5506976 - 11/06/12 02:09 PM

TMSP - nothing wrong with Skywatcher mounts really. Very fine bits of kit for the cash.

The Volkswagon of telescope mounts really. Dependable and reliable. Some of the earlier ones suffered from QC issues and even up to a few years ago most could be improved by judicious tuning. More recent ones seem to have better lube and QC.

The nice thing with their kit is the longevity of support, the EQ6 was firts shipped in Spring 2001 and its still being supported....the latest release in Beta gives it all star polar alignment for instance.

Its a very mature bit of kit and because of its widespread use there is plentyu of online information, mods, tuning guides, after market add ons etc.

Its not perfect by any means but its pretty close for the price and lord knows how many of these have been shipped so there isnst much wrong with it.

Its a heavy old beast though and fussy about power...you need a good solid 12v to drive it reliably.

Theres not much in its price band thats any better (at least in the UK) and I would expevt the Alt/Az EQ6 to be every bit as good a bit of kit.

Depending on final price and weight I might buy one. I owned an EQ6 but prefer the HEQ5 for its lighter weight.

I have an HEQ5 for maybe 5 years now, cant recall exactly how long, and its been a reliable and solid bit of kit.

Dont know how much of that is useful to you.

Tandum
sage

Reged: 03/01/10

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Re: New Skywatcher Mounts new [Re: astro_baby]
      #5507513 - 11/06/12 08:39 PM

Quote:

DOnt know if anyone has posted this yet but Skywatcher seem to be on the verge of shipping the EQ-8 Mount - see here

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq8-mount.html

Price is being talked at around the £4,000 mark.

They have listed them at AU$4990 down here with a special pre-order price of AU$4445.

http://www.sirius-optics.com.au/whatsnew.html
http://www.bintel.com.au/Mounts---Tripods/EQ-Mounts/SkyWatcher-EQ8/1445/produ...

I was told there will be a few in the country in December and I've got a deposit down on one of those.

TMSP

Reged: 07/21/12

Re: New Skywatcher Mounts new [Re: Tandum]
      #5518757 - 11/13/12 09:46 PM

Thanks Astro Baby. That's the sense I got from the Dealer I spoke with. All real helpful, still trying to gauge how I like to work the equipment, so good to hear another perspective.

It looks like the AZ has some improvements with the dual encoders. I always though having the manual movement was a plus esp. if it maintains Go To> I'm an anxious to read a review. I am asking myself the old question - what do I really want. Maybe a nice Discmount with DSC and a Berelbach, no photos, but...,

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5518957 - 11/14/12 12:30 AM

The EQ6 AZ should be Sky Fi and Sky Wire compatible, no? If so, Synta can keep their Starbook-ish add-on controller.

- Jim

DuiA1

Reged: 05/07/12

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: New Skywatcher Mounts new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5558373 - 12/06/12 10:12 PM

Bump. Does anyone know if this mount is SkyFi compatible?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
22 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6168

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics